TV Announcers Consternation Station

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by youthathletics »

thetruth wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 pm College softball TV ratings blew away the lacrosse TV ratings this weekend. As did Euro rugby and E-sports. Doesn't matter who's announcing.
Maybe they turned the channel after they heard the commentating. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
thediscospider

Post by thediscospider »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm One of the best color guys in the sport is a former 'Cuse Defenseman. I will take Ric Beardsley covering any game (including Syracuse) any day of the week over nearly anyone else except for Ryan Boyle. Beardsley comes at the game from an old school defenseman's mindset. He is often hilarious and always on top of the game action. And he seems to genuinely enjoy the game. A lot like Boyle.

Boyle must have said "I don't love that slide" or "I don't love that shot" "I don't love that penalty call" five times yesterday. He is offering a genuine opinion that is honest and fun. Not any "end of the world" stuff with an extra topping of self-importance that you get from many of these other color commentators. He is enjoying the game the way we all should. I laughed out loud three times with his on-point comments yesterday. Like when he was talking to Zimmerman about Petro's assessment of Hopkins goalie Darby, "no offense Coach, but do you really think Pietramala is going to tell the goalie he was the reason they lost?" Or something like that. It was awesome.

Zimmerman is very good too if you are interested in hearing the X's and O's in real time. He is the best at that, but a bit dry at times.

I used to be a big defender of the former trio of Carc, Quint and Eamon McAnaney because of their inside knowledge of the game and players. But since Eamon left and was replaced with Anish, the revised threesome has turned into a ridiculous clown car filled with inane jokes that are repeated ad nauseum (Quint's ties, Carc's capri pants, locker room barber shops, Handsome Dan, etc), bro hangouts on campus sites slobbering over Pat Spenser as he actually dunks a basketball (Carc nearly wet his capris on that one - Imagine a 6' 3" athlete who can dunk a basketball?) and 40-50 year old men trying to out-lift teenagers in the gym...You get the idea. It is a huge embarrassing self-indulgent broadcast week after week...yukking it up like 13 year olds on air.
Completely agree on the different dynamic once it went from Eamon to Anish. This is not a knock against Anish, I don't mind him all that much. But you're right - the inanity has been ramped up to the nth degree recently. Things like Carc's barbershop just feel so silly and unnecessary. It becomes so much harder to take these guys seriously when you feel like they're trying this hard to relate to guys less than half their age. It's okay to act like a 40 something and not a college student.

From what I've seen recently, they should incorporate Golic Jr. some more. He seems knowledgeable enough and when he doesn't know something he's usually good for a thoughtful question at least. But not I hope the producers and announcers know that not everything has to relate to football when he's in the booth...
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:40 pm Maybe ESPN is prepping him for a job after broadcasting. The entire haircutting thing has been the lamest thing I’ve seen on tv since Fonzie jumped the shark, made even worse by ESPN’s continued use of it an every one of their announcers’ continued mention of it. Juvenile.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

thediscospider wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:30 pm
Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm One of the best color guys in the sport is a former 'Cuse Defenseman. I will take Ric Beardsley covering any game (including Syracuse) any day of the week over nearly anyone else except for Ryan Boyle. Beardsley comes at the game from an old school defenseman's mindset. He is often hilarious and always on top of the game action. And he seems to genuinely enjoy the game. A lot like Boyle.

Boyle must have said "I don't love that slide" or "I don't love that shot" "I don't love that penalty call" five times yesterday. He is offering a genuine opinion that is honest and fun. Not any "end of the world" stuff with an extra topping of self-importance that you get from many of these other color commentators. He is enjoying the game the way we all should. I laughed out loud three times with his on-point comments yesterday. Like when he was talking to Zimmerman about Petro's assessment of Hopkins goalie Darby, "no offense Coach, but do you really think Pietramala is going to tell the goalie he was the reason they lost?" Or something like that. It was awesome.

Zimmerman is very good too if you are interested in hearing the X's and O's in real time. He is the best at that, but a bit dry at times.

I used to be a big defender of the former trio of Carc, Quint and Eamon McAnaney because of their inside knowledge of the game and players. But since Eamon left and was replaced with Anish, the revised threesome has turned into a ridiculous clown car filled with inane jokes that are repeated ad nauseum (Quint's ties, Carc's capri pants, locker room barber shops, Handsome Dan, etc), bro hangouts on campus sites slobbering over Pat Spenser as he actually dunks a basketball (Carc nearly wet his capris on that one - Imagine a 6' 3" athlete who can dunk a basketball?) and 40-50 year old men trying to out-lift teenagers in the gym...You get the idea. It is a huge embarrassing self-indulgent broadcast week after week...yukking it up like 13 year olds on air.
Completely agree on the different dynamic once it went from Eamon to Anish. This is not a knock against Anish, I don't mind him all that much. But you're right - the inanity has been ramped up to the nth degree recently. Things like Carc's barbershop just feel so silly and unnecessary. It becomes so much harder to take these guys seriously when you feel like they're trying this hard to relate to guys less than half their age. It's okay to act like a 40 something and not a college student.

From what I've seen recently, they should incorporate Golic Jr. some more. He seems knowledgeable enough and when he doesn't know something he's usually good for a thoughtful question at least. But not I hope the producers and announcers know that not everything has to relate to football when he's in the booth...
[/quot

I maybe in the minority here, but I really like Anish and the work he puts into a broadcast. I even like Anish and Quint together, but the Carc just turns any combination into a sick fest and just about any other sophomoric adjective. Ryan Boyle or Matt Ward with Anish would be a great duo IMO.

Bottom line Carc needs to go.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DaneFan wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 pm

[/quot

I maybe in the minority here, but I really like Anish and the work he puts into a broadcast. I even like Anish and Quint together, but the Carc just turns any combination into a sick fest and just about any other sophomoric adjective. Ryan Boyle or Matt Ward with Anish would be a great duo IMO.

Bottom line Carc needs to go.
Anish is just amplifying what the laxbros he is broadcasting with are doing. He would be more inside the pocket with Boyle, Ward, or a guy like Cottle (who is excellent BTW!)
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

thetruth wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 pm College softball TV ratings blew away the lacrosse TV ratings this weekend. As did Euro rugby and E-sports. Doesn't matter who's announcing.
I dont doubt you, but out of curiosity, what were the numbers? I for one loved a full lazy saturday of game after game of lacrosse
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

I wish ESPN would just get Joe Beninati to do the games. I know he would if asked and he's such a professional play by play man. Not trying to knock Anish but Joe B is just top level. I like Anish better than Eamon because at the very least I don't have to worry about a rules debate during an all time classic game. Also Quint and Carc are better separated and I wish they could do that this weekend with two different crews doing the two sites. All in all if they just keep it dialed down and let the game do the talking as much as possible it should be fine.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

aubartolomei wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 pm
I dont doubt you, but out of curiosity, what were the numbers? I for one loved a full lazy saturday of game after game of lacrosse
Face it.ESPN views lacrosse as niche sport.So many Americans played softball at some point in their lives.They can identify with what's happening on the diamond.Lacrosse can be a bit arcane for most folks.Lacrosse fans/fanatics/aficionados although as passionate as we are about the sport,are a relatively small percentage of the viewing public.

ESPN is a bu$ineSS.Money talks and BS walks.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

I have ZERO complaints with ESPN. Just glad they televise games. Maybe more next season when the ACC Network is part of ESPN. Cable companies will add ACC for free just like the SEC Network, I hope.
Carc's haircutting is harmless fun. Lots of good interviews that otherwise wouldn't happen. It's similar to Groucho with his cigar. Haters take themselves a little to seriously IMHO.
Groucho story from his TV show where he does some chatting with players at the beginning.
G comments to female contestant; It says here you have 7 children.
FC That's right Groucho
G: Why so many?
FC: Because I love my husband very much
G: Well, I love my cigar very much, but I take it out every now and then
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Another great call from Shriver and Corrigan last night.

"This kid has all the intangibles. He's got a stack of intangibles so big you can reach out and touch 'em." --BC last night :lol:

Gotta hear these two call college lax together.
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm
aubartolomei wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 pm
Face it.ESPN views lacrosse as niche sport.So many Americans played softball at some point in their lives.They can identify with what's happening on the diamond.Lacrosse can be a bit arcane for most folks.Lacrosse fans/fanatics/aficionados although as passionate as we are about the sport,are a relatively small percentage of the viewing public.

ESPN is a bu$ineSS.Money talks and BS walks.
I dont doubt you. I also like numbers. If those numbers exist, whatever they may be, I would like to see them.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Have the announcers for the 1/4 finals games this weekend been posted yet?
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Not sure about UCONN site, but at Hofstra, I heard it’s Carc and the owners of Sal & Vin’s Barber Shop. :shock:
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

We should all be grateful the games are on ESPN! It Anish, Q, Paul. They study & do there homework. The coverage is excellent! Looking forward to it!
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

Ric Beardsley is great between his personality and lax insight he keeps the game interesting regardless of how close the game is! Beardsley constantly bringing up players from various past decades which shows his respect of the game and its past! Painful for me to listen to certain announcers( CBS Sports) lush their limited agenda of how many changes we can bring to the game!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

laxxygilmore wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:37 pm Not sure about UCONN site, but at Hofstra, I heard it’s Carc and the owners of Sal & Vin’s Barber Shop. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

‪Did Quint really just say that Garnsey “played on the scout team all season long?”‬
‪I would think that is against ncaa rules‬, if true.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Last week someone said that he had been practicing with the team all season.
oldsportsfan

Post by oldsportsfan »

Ryan Conrad makes a really good play at midfield line on Md player. He ends up making a pass to open man resulting in a score. Carc says "the switchblade" made a really good play. Not to be outdone Quint says he "pitch forked" the Md player. Put the two together and you get "the switchblade pitched forked him". I want to give my thanks to the guy who decided to put a mute button on the tv remote.
renault

Post by renault »

thatsmell wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:40 pm ‪Did Quint really just say that Garnsey “played on the scout team all season long?”‬
‪I would think that is against ncaa rules‬, if true.
He practiced with the team all season long. I believe he was suspended by Notre Dame, not by the NCAA.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”