Big Ten 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Big Ten 2019

Post by jhu06 »

Hawkeye wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 pm At the risk of sounding like a homer, if Hopkins wins tomorrow, their at-large case would be pretty good.
If Hopkins finishes 7-7, they are in the discussion. But it's highly dependent on how everything else goes. My gut feeling is that Hopkins would be bubble out in this scenario.
2019 Michigan lacrosse-making message boards wild and nuts again. 2019 Hopkins lacrosse season extended another 6 days minimum, and selection sunday just got wild. Can a team that misses its conference tournament entirely make the ncaa tournament?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 pm At the risk of sounding like a homer, if Hopkins wins tomorrow, their at-large case would be pretty good.
If Hopkins finishes 7-7, they are in the discussion. But it's highly dependent on how everything else goes. My gut feeling is that Hopkins would be bubble out in this scenario.
https://twitter.com/LaxFilmRoom/status/ ... 6772081664

McEwan's updated RPI. JHU would certainly jump OSU if they beat the Terps. Still, even at 7-7, their resume is dicey at best. If UNC adds another win or two, they'll jump a lot of teams.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 pm Can a team that misses its conference tournament entirely make the ncaa tournament?
I think it happened a number of years ago. Perhaps with the Patriot League.
Live Free or Die!
calourie

Post by calourie »

Hopkins has to win their next two ( both against Maryland) to be in the discussion. 7-8 disqualifies them outright.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

calourie wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:36 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm If Hopkins finishes 7-7, they are in the discussion. But it's highly dependent on how everything else goes. My gut feeling is that Hopkins would be bubble out in this scenario.

Hopkins has to win their next two ( both against Maryland) to be in the discussion. 7-8 disqualifies them outright.
Johns Hopkins is currently 6-6.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 pm
2019 Michigan lacrosse-making message boards wild and nuts again. 2019 Hopkins lacrosse season extended another 6 days minimum, and selection sunday just got wild. Can a team that misses its conference tournament entirely make the ncaa tournament?
Hell if a football team that misses its conference championship game can make a 4-team national championship tournament over an extremely competitive and deserving field, I don't' see why a lacrosse team couldn't snag a spot in a significantly larger (by number of teams) tournament representing a significantly smaller (by number of teams) sport.
Last edited by ICGrad on Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Perhaps, we can look at this as the real start of the OSU-Michigan lacrosse rivalry with Michigan winning for the first time and probably knocking OSU out of the NCAA tmt.
Live Free or Die!
calourie

Post by calourie »

Hawkeye wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:46 pm
calourie wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:36 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:19 pm If Hopkins finishes 7-7, they are in the discussion. But it's highly dependent on how everything else goes. My gut feeling is that Hopkins would be bubble out in this scenario.

Johns Hopkins is currently 6-6.
Sorry, my error. Hopkins has to win Saturday, or win the BIG Tourney to be considered.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Cooter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 pm Perhaps, we can look at this as the real start of the OSU-Michigan lacrosse rivalry with Michigan winning for the first time and probably knocking OSU out of the NCAA tmt.
Does OSU have any chance of making the NCAA tournament?
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

A .500 team shouldn’t qualify for the ncaa tournament in any sport!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

genesrfree wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:03 pm A .500 team shouldn’t qualify for the ncaa tournament in any sport!
Hear hear! Tell them it shouldn't be bowl eligible either.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

A .500 football team would not be in the national championship discussion-period. Be realistic, Hopkins is and that shouldn’t be IMO.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

genesrfree wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:38 pm A .500 football team would not be in the national championship discussion-period. Be realistic, Hopkins is and that shouldn’t be IMO.
I have no idea what Hopkins has to do with what I said. This sounds like a personal matter.

My post was agreeing with and furthering what you stated.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:36 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:09 am Can Michigan win this weekend? Will a Michigan win kill an at large for Ohio State?
Having watched both teams a good deal this season, I would be shocked to see Michigan win this one.

If Ohio State does lose this game, though, I think it would be their version of 2018 Bucknell's loss to BU. A killer bad loss that they can't afford.
Heck of a win for a team that was 3-9! Ohio State is done !
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:15 am Heck of a win for a team that was 3-9! Ohio State is done !
I watched the whole game (obviously since Hopkins had a stake here)

Definitely surprised. It looked to me like Ohio State was in control except the scoreboard... not having Leclaire affected their entire offense.

Very happy for Michigan. But also very surprised!
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

I have no idea what Hopkins has to do with what I said. This sounds like a personal matter.

My post was agreeing with and furthering what you stated.
[/quote]

Hawkeye-no personal issue, then we are in agreement. I mentioned Hopkins because they are a .500 team and they are in the conference tournament (it appears) and the national championship discussion. I don't have an answer to the current situation but would think over time as the quality of lacrosse improves across all conferences that this changes. But, we both know this has not been the case with D1 football, there are the haves and the have nots, this is similar in lacrosse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:33 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:15 am Heck of a win for a team that was 3-9! Ohio State is done !

Definitely surprised. It looked to me like Ohio State was in control except the scoreboard... not having Leclaire affected their entire offense.

I came away with the opposite impression. Michigan to me looked like the better team but Ohio State’s gargantuan faceoff advantage kept them in it. I don’t think Michigan ever trailed? Pretty impressive considering they lost nearly every faceoff. Ohio State’s offense looked dysfunctional without LeClaire to stretch the field. Mich, which is certainly not known for its defense, could just pack it in. That kid Decaprio is a menace. I’m glad this put the Jays in the conference tourney but it also just makes it all the more frustrating that they blew a big lead to this team. OSU in my eyes does not belong in the NCAA tournament. Hopkins very well may not either but I can’t see the committee putting the Buckeyes in when they went 1-4 in their own conference and this dud was the last impression they’ll have of the team.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

genesrfree wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:38 am Hawkeye-no personal issue, then we are in agreement. I mentioned Hopkins because they are a .500 team and they are in the conference tournament (it appears) and the national championship discussion. I don't have an answer to the current situation but would think over time as the quality of lacrosse improves across all conferences that this changes. But, we both know this has not been the case with D1 football, there are the haves and the have nots, this is similar in lacrosse.
Yes, I agree that in a perfect world the conferences would become more balanced. However, it is my expectation that conference and television money will exacerbate the imbalance over time. I think we will see the ACC and Big Ten move even further ahead of the rest, sadly.

On the topic of Hopkins, in particular, I think if they get in... they will have earned it over these next 10 days or so. I personally don't think 7-7 is going to be on the right side of the cut line, but I do think they would be in the discussion. However, I don't necessarily equate being in the bubble discussion as being in the national title discussion. The bubble teams in basketball (St. John's/NC State/etc) were longshots at best for a title. Hopkins is in the same boat. I think this Hopkins team is better than many on this forum act like they are, but they are nowhere near being a serious title contender - even if they do get in.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 am
I came away with the opposite impression. Michigan to me looked like the better team but Ohio State’s gargantuan faceoff advantage kept them in it. I don’t think Michigan ever trailed? Pretty impressive considering they lost nearly every faceoff. Ohio State’s offense looked dysfunctional without LeClaire to stretch the field. Mich, which is certainly not known for its defense, could just pack it in. That kid Decaprio is a menace. I’m glad this put the Jays in the conference tourney but it also just makes it all the more frustrating that they blew a big lead to this team. OSU in my eyes does not belong in the NCAA tournament. Hopkins very well may not either but I can’t see the committee putting the Buckeyes in when they went 1-4 in their own conference and this dud was the last impression they’ll have of the team.
UM goalie was playing out of his mind the whole game. Hard to win by outstanding goalkeeping on a consistent basis. I'm not taking anything away from Michigan with that statement, only saying that I feel like the particularly (unusually?) strong play in goal was a big factor in their win.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 am
Hawkeye wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:33 am

Before LeClaire's first assist, the Jays were up 8-2; before his first goal, they were up 9-5. Then he ends with 3g and 1a. Yes, the Jays blew a big lead, including some unforced turn-overs, slow-to-start-panicking-to-finish offense, missed defensive assignments, but he had something to do with it.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”