PENN STATE 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Bluewhitex2

PENN STATE 2019

Post by Bluewhitex2 »

Anyone?? Nice new stadium, solid squad, solid coaches, now what?
FannOLax

Re: PENN STATE 2019

Post by FannOLax »

A team could do worse than having Ament, O'Keefe, Arceri and Kneese back. From the Yale side, we hear that Penn State will be visiting New Haven next February for a game; that should be a good early test for both teams. As for the new stadium, I kinda liked bringing a blanket and sitting on the grassy hillside before it was "stadiumized;" oh well.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

In-terms of talent alone, this will probably be the Nittany Lions' best team ever. In fact, if NONE of the following happen, their 2019 campaign should definitely be viewed as a disappointment:

1. Big Ten regular season title
2. Big Ten Tournament title
3. a run to the Quarterfinals or farther
Bluewhitex2

Post by Bluewhitex2 »

As fall ball comes to a close, Bob Kemp Classic vs UVA this past Saturday. Impressions, either PSU is physically small or UVA is very big. At the pregame handshake, UVA 6-4 long poles made the PSU attack disappear. Game seemed rushed with the 80 second clock, both teams pushing hard to get ball up field and into their sets. Against the aforementioned oversized defense, the attack line of Ament, O'Keefe, and Foulds did well. PSU "won" the 1st and 2nd quarters. They will be fun to watch. Defensively, new goalie Sulzbach(sp?) played strong and may have made a case to be a starter. The front three at close of Aronow, Peck and Sabia were solid holding UVA to 8 goals in three quarters. PSU did not have Arceri or Kneese, as UVA didn't have Conrad.

Overall, great day to see both sides run up and down the field and play some good lacrosse. No 80 shot clock turnovers and I don't remember it coming close. Come on January!
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Bluewhitex2 wrote:As fall ball comes to a close, Bob Kemp Classic vs UVA this past Saturday. Impressions, either PSU is physically small or UVA is very big. At the pregame handshake, UVA 6-4 long poles made the PSU attack disappear. Game seemed rushed with the 80 second clock, both teams pushing hard to get ball up field and into their sets. Against the aforementioned oversized defense, the attack line of Ament, O'Keefe, and Foulds did well. PSU "won" the 1st and 2nd quarters. They will be fun to watch. Defensively, new goalie Sulzbach(sp?) played strong and may have made a case to be a starter. The front three at close of Aronow, Peck and Sabia were solid holding UVA to 8 goals in three quarters. PSU did not have Arceri or Kneese, as UVA didn't have Conrad.

Overall, great day to see both sides run up and down the field and play some good lacrosse. No 80 shot clock turnovers and I don't remember it coming close. Come on January!

Sounds like Penn State is going to be a much improved team. I am confused on how a team can win the 1st and 2nd quarters in a controlled scrimmage? Coaches generally are experimenting with lineup combinations, strategies, etc so different tactics and personnel than a game played to achieve a win. I think the teams were 3-2 after the 1st and tied at the end of every successive quarter except for reserves in the 5th so sounded about as evenly played as can be to me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Buller play?
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

admin wrote:Buller play?
Not in any meaningful way, i don't think he will see the field much till after some of the other attack clears out. Ament and O'keefe are untouchable and Foulds had a great season last year and a strong summer of box lacrosse so baring an injury i think he's looking at two years either in middy (2nd line this year and maybe first line next) or waiting to start as a junior (first line middy this year will be willard,hill and spillane). He may be fourth attack man in some games and still rack up some goals but for such a touted talent who de-commited so much i think he's actually chosen a semi bad place to go lacrosse wise
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Brennan O’Neill “flips”.
Though I guess its not really a flip since the new early recruit rules.

O’Neill officially commits to Duke.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Penn State's 2019 schedule has been announced. Biggest change from last year is the addition of national champion Yale (Saturday February 23 in New Haven), which with Penn and ILT champion Cornell forms an an Ivy cluster. Fairfield dropped. Big 10 portion breaks from expected pattern, with Maryland and Michigan away; Hop, OSU and Rutgers at home. I'm hoping that the JHU game does not coincide with Penn State football's blue-white scrimmage, as it did in 2016, as that drove up motel prices (Big 10 football...). Now I can start planning for a visit to State College!

Later edit: the football scrimmage is April 13, when the lacrosse team is playing a road game; so no 2019 headaches on that front.

https://gopsusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax
Bluewhitex2

Post by Bluewhitex2 »

Good to see the squad back for 2019! Not much of a challenge with a very young Lafayette team but still fun to see a different jersey on the field. More realistic challenge next week with Army. Happy Lacrosse season in Happy Valley!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lions taking it to the Cats after one.
5-2.
Ament, back all the way?
One and Three already.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

1st game back.
Ament tearing it up, with 3 & 4.
8-3 Lions half time.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That’s going to be a tough combo to beat this year.
Ament at attack, Kneese in goal, Arceri at face off.

Kneese had 19 saves against what usually has been a difficult Cats team.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lions lighting it up, again.

25 to 5 in the 3rd, RMU.
12 goals in 2nd quarter.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Penn State lax ("hey, did you know Chris Hogan played lacrosse at Penn State?") looking great this year! I'm expecting to see them crack the top 5. Happy to see Grant Ament return at such a high level -- great player and fun to watch.

It's early yet, but Penn State, Loyola, and Towson all impress.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Looking like Penn State is one of the few hyped teams that is delivering and then some. Well done today!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 pm I'm expecting to see them crack the top 5.
It's early yet, but Penn State, Loyola, and Towson all impress.
Yep, they should definitely be top 5 next week.

Something like this maybe:
1. Yale
2. Loyola
3. Maryland
4/5. Penn State/Cornell

Just a WAG on my part.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

PSU is really deep and scary this year, 18 guys registered a point in today's win. The biggest surprise thus far has got to be freshmen TJ Malone, he registered 5 points today and 3 goals last week. I’m excited to see him play. Crazy to think that he was originally committed to D3 Amherst College.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Is playing indoors @ H an advantage for PSU? Seems that it would be. The familiarity of facility w practice. Etc.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn State lost Brennan O'Neill to Duke.
But Canyon Birch switches from Army, 2019.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/5805

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”