CAA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
foreverlax

Re: Colonial Athletic Association

Post by foreverlax »

I saw Burke play his freshman year - he went 5/2 in a blow loss, against a very good Tiger defense and again in the CAA championship at Towson...he was scary good his freshman year.

It would be great if the CAA can have two in the tournament -

How much would Towson's seed move down if they beat Denver, but end up 12-3?

Does losing to Denver and in the finals kill an at large?

Outside looking in.... :o
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn State lost in the finals in 2013 and got a number eight seed, not nearly as good wins.

The bracketogy I’ve seen shows Tigers currently as a number seven seed.
Laxbytes has Tigers as number two last I saw at large probabilities, Tigers #6 RPI with Ws over #8 RPI, #13, #15, no bad losses.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Where did Burke transfer ? Very good player.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:12 pm Where did Burke transfer ? Very good player.
He had "Pat Spencer" style of play...also remember how much of a beast Nick Mariano was at UMASS...was glad to see them both leave the CAA ;) .
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

Burke did not transfer. He's finishing up his 4 years at Fairfield and will graduate in May. He will be attending a new college in the Fall where he will be pursuing a graduate degree and contributing his Lax talent. Nice young man, only wish him the best.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

So.
Looks like he’s got one year left.
Maybe a B1G school, MBA, Michigan, PSU, good planning, he saved a year for post grad and looks like will graduate on time.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

fastgame wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:23 pm Burke did not transfer. He's finishing up his 4 years at Fairfield and will graduate in May. He will be attending a new college in the Fall where he will be pursuing a graduate degree and contributing his Lax talent. Nice young man, only wish him the best.
He is leaving Fairfield for his last year of eligibility!
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

if hes a longisland boy he will look good in hofstra yellow and blue
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Does the CAA have a no transfer rule like the Big 10 where you have to sit if you transfer within the conference?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Cory Dobyns transferred right after the fall from Drexel to Towson.
He did not play for the Tigers until the following season, not sure if that was the CAA or the kid’s choice.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

I don't think graduate students have to sit out a year no matter where they transfer.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Obviously, the Tigers have fallen back from the start to their season, from being ranked number one.
That was not a particularly good game from TU, and also, Georgetown lost, so this whole thing may come down to who wins the CAA, as has been the case for a while now.

UMass with a wipeout of Brown, not really sure how good Brown is. But you’d have to say UMass is playing best heading into CAA play, 14-7 final, Brown scored a couple at the end to make the score closer, Sconone with 16 saves is outplaying DeLuca and Canto at this point.

But, the Hens with a real solid comeback from last week, with a good win over Michigan, an overall good effort against a Big Ten team, DiSimone with 5 goals. Not DeLuca’s best game but not bad either 10 saves. And Grant has made a difference, you can tell just by looking at his box score.

So its those three, its looking like, for the CAA automatic bid, once again.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

Dont go to sleep on the dutch , that was a winnable game def played tuff but for ill advised penalties - 7 goals 46 shots(?) rutgers goalie was outstanding - need our guys who r hurt to get back on the field , any news on that? cage fighting starts next sat for the CAA
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I think it would be insane to sleep on any team at this point. Drexel offense is great and the defense and goaltending has improved of late. Fairfield had Villanova on the ropes yesterday before falling apart late in the game. Their junior attackman, Dylan Beckwith might be the most talented in the conference. Hofstra is tough to figure out. They’ve been in a tailspin since losing to Stony Brook at home but the CAA gives them the chance to wipe the slate clean. Delaware is starting to open up on offense and the baby hens (Kurtz, Miller, Grant, Seiter, McCormick and Kivinski) are showing that they are freshman who can contribute at this level. Towson has played an insanely tough schedule and have played nearly everyone close. They’ve got a huge advantage at the face-off position that they need to leverage by cutting down on turnovers. And UMass is doing what they always do- getting better and more vicious with every game. CAA will need to stop their transition offense in order to steal the crown. This is winner takes all time. Should be fun.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

hofpride wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:43 am Dont go to sleep on the dutch , that was a winnable game def played tuff but for ill advised penalties - 7 goals 46 shots(?) rutgers goalie was outstanding - need our guys who r hurt to get back on the field , any news on that? cage fighting starts next sat for the CAA
Dutch have one of the best players in the country, Ryan Tierney. He’s having to carry the team, he’s taking 10 or more shots every game, tries to do too much, makes some mistakes, you’d expect that.
Dutch might have the best line up of freshmen and sophomores in the league, Ardrey, Stopak, McIntosh.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I think it is an enormous exaggeration calling Tierney is one of the best players in the country. He's probably a top 6 or 7 attackman IN the CAA. I would take Brendan Sunday, Chris Connelly, Dylan Beckwith as the first team all CAA over Tierney. He is probably second tier with Reid Bowering, Charlie Kitchen and Matt Varian.

I also don't agree that Hofstra has the best group of freshman and sophs in the league. Take a look around the league - UMass has Chris Connelly (15g and 23a) Gabriel Procyk (23 goals and 5 assists) and Kevin Tobin (14g 7a). Towson has sophs Luke Fromert (12g 6a) and all-world LSM Koby Smith ((6g 3a and 18 Gbs and 11CTs). Fairfield has Sophomore Taylor Strough 21 goals and 7 assists and freshmen Patrick Drake (10 goals and 7 assists) and Brian Reda (7 goals 9 assists).

I would take all of those guys over Stopak (8g 0a), Sterlyn Ardey (5g 1a) and Dylan McIntosh (4g 0a). Who seem to have potential but have fairly pedestrian stats.

And maybe I am biased (I try not to be) but I would also take Delaware's group of freshman and sophs over Hofstra with freshman Tye Kurtz (17g 12a) and freshman starting defensmen Kevin McCormick and Owen Grant who has 10 CTs in just two games against Hopkins and Michigan after returning from an injury that delayed the start of this career.

My $.02
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Drexel closes out CAA out of conference play with, pretty much, a shellacking of Providence, Providence scored a couple late goals to make the score close. I say shellacking because Drexel hasn’t had a lot of that the past few years - and that goalie for Providence, Tate Boyce is very good. So 2 & 1 against the Big East, wins over any of the Big East teams is a good W. Unfortunately, Drexel gets to play hyper intense, hair-on-fire UMass first. Well, maybe best to get that out of the way early.

So final weekend, 3 and 3, with a Big Ten, an Ivy, a Big East win, kind of typical CAA, and then there’s the Tigers, should have, could have beat the Pioneers.

Coming into CAA play, Dylan Beckwith is the leading CAA scorer, Reid Bowering leads in goals scored, Beckwith and Chris Connolly lead in assists, Drexel & UMass are the top scoring teams, UMass leads in goals allowed, Sean Sconone tops in save percent, Woodall leading face off man though Tom Meyers has done well also, Isaac Paparo leads in caused turnovers.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

McIntosh has been out for several games and Stopak is wearing a boot.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

None of the preceding week’s matter... get your best conference position for the CA tourney... Then go out and win it...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

^^^ This :!:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”