CAA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Colonial Athletic Association

Post by 10stone5 »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:02 am Great to see three teams ranked this week

Hens - 19
UMASS - 15
Tigers - 14
One of those teams will represent (you’d think).

This bracketologist has Penn at number 4.
Playing the CAA winner.

https://m.imgur.com/a/iFSlnm2

Raise your hand if you recall what happened last time
Penn was the NCAA number four seed and hosted the
opening round game at Franklin Field 😎
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

In No. 19 UMass’ 14-10 win at No. 9 Towson, Paparo posted a career-high tying seven ground balls in addition to a caused turnover and one goal.
Paparo named CAA player of the week.
Interesting guy.
Not exactly large which is probably why many passed on him. 5’7” isn’t normally what you’d expect from a close defense. But, well built at 170lbs. and UMass keeps Paparo active at the defensive end, so I suspect he’s not playing pure close defense.

Tye Kurtz, not much of a surprise, the CAA rookie of the week.

Just a call out, another freshman who has been quietly moving up the charts, Jack Mulcahy Drexel, local product, Downingtown East, an attack man, wasn’t sure what exactly they’d do with that guy, knew he had the skills, and fortunately the coaches have figured out what to do with those skills.

https://caasports.com/news/2019/4/15/ca ... il-15.aspx
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Paparo plays all over the field. Had two transition goals vs. Hofstra.

Weather's not looking good this weekend.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ugghh, too bad.

Game of the week of course, Hens and Tigers.
Hens broadcasting now streams from YouTube.
Hope its still the same high quality UDel broadcasting.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

After watching HU-UD last week, I could see the Hens winning it all.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Woodall's not facing off for Towson.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No idea what happened.
A dogfight.
8-7 Towson half.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical CAA.
Just when you think you have things figured out.
Woodall goes out.
And right after, Tigers revert back to playing like they did against Loyola and Hop.
Go figure.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good game.
Tigers looked to get back to their form from earlier this year. Of course, it helps when you can bust a defense as Maloof did in this game, from up top.
Hens made a bit of a come back, Kitchen got shut down pretty well, obviously Hens need help at face off.
14-12 Tigers.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Strange ending.
DU decides to kill the clock with defensive mids.
Dutch looked like they were set for a time out, 20 seconds left, one final set, I thought for sure tie game & OT, and refs with a bizarre call, game over.
21 penalties, sheesh !
13-12.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Not much of a contest for UMass.
17-8.

So looks to me like the four tournament slots are locked, DU takes the final slot with the head to head over Dutch.
Then it is just a matter of placement, who’s the top seed and so forth.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Well we know who is in the playoffs for the CAA. Now it is just a question of what order they finish and who will host. (I think I have this correct)

Scenario #1 UMass Beats Delaware - Towson beats Drexel = UMass (1) hosts and plays Drexel (4), Towson (2) plays Delaware (3)
Scenario #2 Delaware beats UMass - Towson beats Drexel = Towson (1) hosts and plays Drexel (4), Delaware (2) plays UMass (3)
Scenario #3 UMass Beats Delaware - Drexel beats Towson = UMass (1) hosts and Drexel, Towson and Delaware are all 3-2 beating each other (seeding is I believe on goal differential)
Scenario #4 Delaware beats UMass - Drexel beats Towson = Delaware (1) hosts and plays Towson (4), UMass (2) plays Drexel (3)

The only team that cannot potentially host is Drexel. UMass is the only team that controls their destiny for hosting the CAA tourney - They win, they host again.

Delaware plays UMass on Friday night at 5. So, Drexel and Towson will know what they need to do by the time they play on Saturday.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Thanks for the clarity.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 pm
Scenario #1 UMass Beats Delaware - Towson beats Drexel = UMass (1) hosts and plays Drexel (4), Towson (2) plays Delaware (3)
Scenario #2 Delaware beats UMass - Towson beats Drexel = Towson (1) hosts and plays Drexel (4), Delaware (2) plays UMass (3)
Thanks HF.
Here are most likely scenarios, to me.
I continue to have, in no particular order, for some time now, UMass, Delaware, Towson, as the top three — although admittedly I was much more bullish on Tigers early for good reasons.

The only thing I can say for near certainty, one of these teams will emerge from the maelstrom to disrupt some seeded team in the NCAA tournament.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Matt Carberry has the Colonial as 4th in his
Z rating / Krach ratings.
Just ahead of the Big East.
Which matches reality, overall, a good year for the CAA,
dependent, as always, on NCAA tournament performance.

https://mattcarberry.com/ZRatings/Z-MLX-C.HTM
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:05 am
Henpecked wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 pm
Thanks HF.
Here are most likely scenarios, to me.
I continue to have, in no particular order, for some time now, UMass, Delaware, Towson, as the top three — although admittedly I was much more bullish on Tigers early for good reasons.

The only thing I can say for near certainty, one of these teams will emerge from the maelstrom to disrupt some seeded team in the NCAA tournament.
10 Stone5, I am not sure anyone follows the CAA as closely as you do, so I won't disagree with you too much. But if Drexel can get any kind of defensive showing on Saturday, I think they might be able to outscore Towson. They'd have to get to 14 goals because Towson will put up numbers. The Dragons have the guns to get there in my opinion. Not sure what a win gets them though besides avoiding playing the tourney host in the first round. Should be a fun CAA tournament regardless of this week's games. Hoping the Hens can pull off an upset over UMass. I'd love to be able to attend the tournament and a trip to Baltimore or Newark is doable, while Amherst is out of the question. :D
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Oh, no.
Drexel and The Dreaded ‘D’ word !
:)

My wish for this year was that two CAA would get in the tournament. But, that didn’t happen.

So naturally then, I just want the best team to emerge.
And of course win an NCAA game or two.

That’s all 8-)
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Any team w Canadians you extend out & get in their gloves. The big win vs Nova ... 42nd in goals against. And, Villanova does not shoot well. Play Bowering tight! Brian did a nice job going to the Freshman who has done a good job in the goal for Drexel. When Towson starts the offense w Sunday, and redirects the ball, that’s the offense you saw in early spring. Maloof had 5 on 10 shots. Credit to him, he played well. However, they went back to redirecting the ball, that comes w open looks. You think Towson knows how to play Canadians ? Go back to the Denver playoff game . Woodall plays.... start the bus !
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Drexel can definitely score in bunches.
Against the Dutch, I thought they’d reel off 3 or 4 more, for sure.
Some dopey play, one of the LSMs was all alone, him and the goalie and he decides to make a lousy pass. But also Tierney did throw in a wrinkle to stop that run.

Not a secret that DU is 50% on man up, I mean, they get wide open looks. 7 for 9 on man up against the Dutch.

They may have to run out an extra mid or two, which they definitely could do.

The freshman goalie is, for certain, susceptible to a specific kind of shot, I just ain’t saying what that is.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

It is a secret : Drexel EMO
7-9 vs Hofstra helps.
1-4 GT
2-7 Nova
0-3 Umass
3-5 Albany helps! Another AE defense

Haha !

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”