Ivy League 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: Ivy League 2019

Post by Can Opener »

faircornell wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:59 pm Not to pick nits, but Towson was a neutral site game. Cornell has it in 'em to beat the Irish. I hope they prevail.
That's not a nit. Very fair point. I'm also pulling for Cornell today. That would be a nice statement win for the Ivies. When you look at the teams currently ranked below the Big Red, it's hard to make a case against any of them who manage a W this weekend to still be ranked below Cornell following a loss to ND. Possible exceptions would be Towson and Lehigh, I suppose. It's as if the Big Red have a long slick downhill putt on #12 at Augusta. They could sink it for a birdie, but it could also roll off the green into the water.
DMac

Post by DMac »

From the Cornell thread:
faircornell wrote
It's April and there is still a lot of lacrosse left to play. The only other thought that I had was a comment that Jeff Tambroni made during his building years at PSU. Penn State had scheduling issues in the CAA and an early season Denver game was their last chance to capture a "quality win" before league play (no disrespect intended to the CAA). Penn State lost the game. Coach Tambroni said that in hindsight he wished that he'd told his players to relax, hold their sticks a bit looser, and not worry about Selection Sunday. My apologies for any errors in memory.
This^. Cornell left their funk on the last field they played on, that wasn't the real Cornell team.
Cornell 15, ND 11.
Book it.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Can Opener wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 am
faircornell wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:59 pm Not to pick nits, but Towson was a neutral site game. Cornell has it in 'em to beat the Irish. I hope they prevail.
That's not a nit. Very fair point. I'm also pulling for Cornell today. That would be a nice statement win for the Ivies. When you look at the teams currently ranked below the Big Red, it's hard to make a case against any of them who manage a W this weekend to still be ranked below Cornell following a loss to ND. Possible exceptions would be Towson and Lehigh, I suppose. It's as if the Big Red have a long slick downhill putt on #12 at Augusta. They could sink it for a birdie, but it could also roll off the green into the water.
Excellent analysis C.O. I'm hoping they come home with the Green Jacket.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Can Opener wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 amI'm also pulling for Cornell today.
I hope your support continues tomorrow … :D
DocBarrister

Harvard: Lost Cause Still Looks Lost

Post by DocBarrister »

One day, Harvard is going to take lacrosse seriously.

For now, the Great Lost Cause of Lacrosse is still lost. Their defense looked atrocious against Penn.

Dreams of reliving the glory of 1912 will have to wait another year.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

One day, Harvard is going to take lacrosse seriously.
Dartmouth needs to invest in LAX. A game started by the Native Americans should be a natural for a school (now College) started to teach Native Americans.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Two touchdown win for the Quakers !
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Apart from some weakness in third quarter that gave Harvard a small ray of hope, well done, Quakers.

Now, seek and destroy Dartmouth.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

I like your deal.

Simple. Business. Next.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I'm definitely looking forward to watching Penn in the ILT.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Brown fan rooting for Penn in 2019. Would love to see a 3rd Ivy in 4 years make it to the Final 4. Cant recall the last time that was even a possibility.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Penn has clinched at least a tie for the Ivy League Title.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Looking at the scoring stats on IL it looks like the Quakers simply blew by whichever Harvard defender was guarding them (26 goals with 10 assists). They are putting together a fine season. The halftime report on ESPN3 during halftime of the Duke-UVA game showed them as the team ranked #5 by the NCAA playoff committee as of April 7 with Yale one behind at #6, and both likely slated to move up given today's losses by UVA and Loyola (two of the teams ahead of them on the list). Both Ivy teams have now clinched a spot in the ILT with Penn guaranteed the #1 seed, and both need to continue taking care of business to remain in such rarefied air. Cornell could well put themselves in the NCAA at large hunt with a victory tomorrow at Notre Dame combined with a strong finishing kick. The other Ivies with 2 or 3 league losses will have to work their way into the ILT and win it to have any chance to go to the big dance.
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

Sting The Corner wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:07 pm Brown fan rooting for Penn in 2019. Would love to see a 3rd Ivy in 4 years make it to the Final 4. Cant recall the last time that was even a possibility.
This scenario would be especially impressive considering none of the three teams are the conference’s traditional powers, Princeton and Cornell. Says a lot about the quality of the league these days that we're even having this conversation!
calourie

Post by calourie »

Gritty win by Cornell today in South Bend. Helps the resume of all the Ivies, as well as putting them back in the NCAA at-large discussion, but to remain so need to refocus on an intriguing matchup with Brown who put up a good fight against Yale yesterday. Still 4 teams theoretically in the mix for the final 2 ILT slots.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Some ILT tidbits:

Penn has clinched ILT seed #1 and Yale #2.

Brown and Cornell control their destiny: winning out puts each in (but they play each other next week).

Princeton and Harvard can get in if they win out, but each needs help. They're both Brown fans.

[Edit: corrected after Homer's post below; originally I incorrectly said that Dartmouth was out and that Pe v D was not relevant to the ILT.]

Here are all the scenarios in which Penn and Brown both beat Dartmouth. (Massey gives Penn a 99% win probability and Brown 89%.) Game outcomes not listed are not relevant to that scenario. A group of three teams in parenthesis means they are tied through tiebreaker #3, and we go to goal differential among tied teams.

Assuming Pe>D B>D for all:

C>B H>Pr: Pe,Y,C,B

C>B Pr>H C>Pr: Pe,Y,C,B

C>B Pr>H Pr>C: Pe,Y,(B,C,Pr)

B>C Pr>H C>Pr: Pe,Y,B,C

B>C Pr>H Pr>C: Pe,Y,B,Pr

B>C H>Pr C>Pr: Pe,Y,B,C

B>C H>Pr Pr>C Y>H: Pe,Y,B,(C,H,Pr)

B>C H>Pr Pr>C H>Y: Pe,Y,B,H
Last edited by CU77 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Wait, why is Dartmouth out?

If D>Pe, Pr>H, C>B, and then D>B, Y>H, C>Pr, don't B, Pr, and D all finish 2-4? Each would have one win against the others, so based on the link the tiebreaker would go to best win outside the tie. That would be DC with the win over #1 seed Penn.

Am I missing something there?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Oops, you're right! Thanks for catching that! I've edited my post.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

It's also possible for Brown, Dartmouth, and Harvard to tie for 4th, in addition to the Brown/Dartmouth/Princeton tie mentioned above.

All of this hinges on Dartmouth beating Penn this weekend, of course (which I'm going to go ahead and say is probably not going to happen... sorry Big Green).
Last edited by Hawkeye on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

Hawkeye wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:05 am It's also possible for Brown, Dartmouth, and Harvard to tie for 4th, in addition to the Brown/Dartmouth/Princeton tie mentioned above.

All of this hinges on Dartmouth beat Penn this weekend of course (which I'm going to go say is probably not going to happy... sorry Big Green).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”