Ivy League 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Ivy League 2019

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:41 pm I can't remember the last time the ILT went completely according to script, with the better seeded team winning in all three games. If it happened before, it was prior to 2013.
The prior year that Cornell won (2010 or 2011) it may have done so. This year, the entire league regular season was "on script" with no upsets versus the standings.
renault

Post by renault »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:41 pm Pushed/threw his man down. Checked him in the head while he was on ground and play had moved on.
Seemed like he thought the guy still had the ball and then missed a stick check. You guys are such babies on here.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Penn, the #3 ranked team, beat #2 Yale winning its 11th straight— and they get a 4 seed. :roll: This is the regional groupings at work, I suppose?
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

....AND Yale basically gets a home game? Why?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

QuakerSouth wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:54 pm ....AND Yale basically gets a home game? Why?
Because #1-#8 seeds get home games. :roll:

The QF sites were predetermined.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

That whole Penn Yale bracket could have been swapped with the L.I bracket just like the pod system in BB, and still kept the integrity of the seedings/bracket. Just playing with location. Thats the kind of stuff The Committee should be trying to manage. And that one was an easy one.

An yeah, we know #1-8 seeds get home games. We're talking about the next round. Try to keep up.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Congrats to PENN on an awesome Ivy year!

Now, let's get Yale and Penn by the First round, FIRST! All the confidence and support, but GT and Army aren't going to lie down. I agree, wish the scheduling had them meeting later in the tourney, but right now I would like to see them meet in East Hartford!
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Voyuer wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:27 pm I found it depressing that Quint said that after standing on the field at the semi between Brown/Penn "It looks to me like these Ivy teams are as athletic now as ACC teams" Where has he been the last 5 years, The Ivy teams are not as athletic as most ACC teams ..They are MORE Athletic than most ACCC teams. Bigger, faster, stronger and this is not new and certainly goes back to Dylan Malloy's Brown team, which I still think would have won it all if he had not gotten hurt. If you actually watch these teams play in person you should know how athletic they are, and if you are professional you should know what you are watching.
Agreed! QK is a clown.
Hop, Carolina, Cuse, are soooo far removed from the days of dominance... very hard for QK to let go of his glory days, so he does everything he can, to perpetuate the ACC, Big Ten myth...
calourie

Post by calourie »

RumorMill wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:18 am Congrats to PENN on an awesome Ivy year!

Now, let's get Yale and Penn by the First round, FIRST! All the confidence and support, but GT and Army aren't going to lie down. I agree, wish the scheduling had them meeting later in the tourney, but right now I would like to see them meet in East Hartford!
Either Ivy is going to have to beat 4 very good to great lacrosse teams to win the "ship". I'll be rooting for both to go as far as they can except in a Yale-Penn third rematch should it come to pass.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

renault wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:36 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:41 pm Pushed/threw his man down. Checked him in the head while he was on ground and play had moved on.
Seemed like he thought the guy still had the ball and then missed a stick check. You guys are such babies on here.

It doesn't matter WHAT he thought. You might want to take a look at the 2019 NCAA rulebook. Like an adult.

RULE 5
Personal andExpulsion Fouls[

Targeting the Head/Neck
SECTION 3. A player shall not initiate contact to an opponent’s head or neck with a cross-check, or any part of his body (head, elbow, shoulder, etc.) or stick. Any follow-through that contacts the head or neck shall also be considered a violation of this rule.
PENALTY—One, two or three minute nonreleasable foul, at the referee’s discretion. Excessive violation of this rule may result in an ejection from the game.

Illegal Body Check
SECTION 6. Illegal body checking includes the following actions:
a. The body checking of an opponent who is not in possession of the ball or within 5 yards of a loose ball.
b. Initiating contact with an opponent from the rear or at or below the waist.
c. Initiating contact with an opponent above the shoulders of the opponent. To be legal, a body check must be below the neck, and both hands of the player applying the body check must remain in contact with his crosse.
d. Initiating contact with an opponent who has any part of his body other than his feet on the ground.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

From Quint on the bracketing that puts Yale-Penn on a possible quarterfinals collision course: "I absolutely hate this portion of the bracket; it’s reprehensible to have two league rivals who are national title contenders in the same quarter bracket."

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ound/54469

(Worth noting that Yale and Brown were put in the same quarter bracket in 2016 and Yale didn't get there -- upset by Navy -- so in the end you just have to win all the games. And Yale cannot complain about the #4 seed and a home game and a potential second-round game in Connecticut. But it's still disappointing at the bracketing stage.)
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

I would have liked to see Penn and Virginia's seeding flipped. Then we avoid Yale/Penn and UVa/Duke until the Final Four.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

I think QK is right on this potential quarters game and Ivyman also has the right solution. In my book, Penn should have been no lower than a three seed (maybe even two).

PS...but neither team can afford to look past a tough the first round game against clear top conference teams.
Last edited by Mid-Lax on Mon May 06, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lux et veritas
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Ivyman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:13 am I would have liked to see Penn and Virginia's seeding flipped. Then we avoid Yale/Penn and UVa/Duke until the Final Four.
That would have been great, and I think quite defensible. Looking at somebody's analysis on the bracketology thread (apologize, can't recall who it was), it seems like the Committee put a ton of emphasis on quality wins and UVA and Duke both had more than Penn.
calourie

Post by calourie »

I'd suppose Duke's 17-7 win over Penn was a highly contributing factor in Penn's 4 seed once UVA won the ACC tourney and showed similar metrics to Duke. I see PSU, Duke, UVA, Penn and Yale as the cream of this year's NCAA crop so two of them would have met in round two if things were to go according to form no matter what. All five need to win four in a row no matter who they play, a tall order,and I would like to see any 4 of them in the final four whether or not my first choice Yale makes it.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Calourie, what's interesting about your cream of the crop is that PSU has never won an NCAA tourney game and Penn's last win was in the 1980's (and I'm not saying you're wrong). One of Penn's three losses was by a single goal to PSU at PSU, and with Yale having played PSU once and Penn twice, these teams are not strangers to one another. Of course, they have to beat other teams to set up rematches or a re-match. Penn's turn-around from 2018 is pretty remarkable: last year, the Quakers beat Dartmouth in 2OT to limp into the ILT, where they lost 21-6 to Yale. I'd guess that Army will be tough, literally tough, hard-nosed; Army is certainly no great reward for winning the Ivy regular season and the ILT. But as you say, someone needs to win four in a row, and all four of those games will present challenges.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

FannOLax wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:51 pm Calourie, what's interesting about your cream of the crop is that PSU has never won an NCAA tourney game and Penn's last win was in the 1980's (and I'm not saying you're wrong). One of Penn's three losses was by a single goal to PSU at PSU, and with Yale having played PSU once and Penn twice, these teams are not strangers to one another. Of course, they have to beat other teams to set up rematches or a re-match. Penn's turn-around from 2018 is pretty remarkable: last year, the Quakers beat Dartmouth in 2OT to limp into the ILT, where they lost 21-6 to Yale. I'd guess that Army will be tough, literally tough, hard-nosed; Army is certainly no great reward for winning the Ivy regular season and the ILT. But as you say, someone needs to win four in a row, and all four of those games will present challenges.
UPenn is an amazing turnaround story! Besides the obvious FOGO addition and Frosh A,
Does anyone have a more in depth perspective on what this team did off the field, to transform and earn Elite team status?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

According to the NCAA social media feeds, May 9th is the 40th Anniversary of the conclusion to Cornell's Ivy win streak that went from 1973 to 1979 for 39 wins. The loss was a 12-11 victory by Dartmouth.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:56 pm According to the NCAA social media feeds, May 9th is the 40th Anniversary of the conclusion to Cornell's Ivy win streak that went from 1973 to 1979 for 39 wins. The loss was a 12-11 victory by Dartmouth.
Thanks for the reminder for those who celebrated that May 9 anniversary! :D

Those were some really special Cornell teams, terrific talent at every position, deep into the roster, super coaching.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sorry Ivies.
I’m venting on your thread.
Why the Hades are Yale and Penn in the same bracket, watching the Yale game now :?: :!:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”