~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TheBigIguana

Re: ~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

Post by TheBigIguana »

The Army game is huge. I'm sure that Charley knows it because a couple years back we needed to win one of either Boston U or Army to get a bye and the talk was about how important it was to pull that off. 3 Patriot League games in a week is brutal and honestly despite how good Loyola has been at times this year they won't be making the NCAA tournament if they lost to Army and don't win the PL Tourney. So this game is huge with not only the bye but the tournament at Ridley on the line (barring an all time upset by Lafayette). That said I expect a bounce back from Loyola at least on an effort front. Getting destroyed on the ground is simply not acceptable and is a quick way to lose to good teams. Spencer has massive numbers historically vs Army and Surdick but the matchup is still one to watch.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I hate to quote bill B of the Patriots, but at this time of year, none of these guys, Spencer included, need to do anything fancy other than trust their hard work and “do their job” within the game plan. Get the next GB, next faceoff, next save, next cut, next dodge, next pass. Back to basics. Seasons are roller coaster rides. The team and staff knows it. Trust each other, trust the process and get after it!

:D :D
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:35 pm The Army game is huge. I'm sure that Charley knows it because a couple years back we needed to win one of either Boston U or Army to get a bye and the talk was about how important it was to pull that off. 3 Patriot League games in a week is brutal and honestly despite how good Loyola has been at times this year they won't be making the NCAA tournament if they lost to Army and don't win the PL Tourney. So this game is huge with not only the bye but the tournament at Ridley on the line (barring an all time upset by Lafayette). That said I expect a bounce back from Loyola at least on an effort front. Getting destroyed on the ground is simply not acceptable and is a quick way to lose to good teams. Spencer has massive numbers historically vs Army and Surdick but the matchup is still one to watch.

The thing with Army is two of their best players, Barretto and Surdick, are state of Maryland high school kids. So, looking at the glass half full philosophy, I'd be happy for those two should they beat the Hounds.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHM_DuLepA

If anybody wanted to see some of the HEAT that Loyola uses this 2019 season for their game day uniforms, practice pinnies, cleats/shoes, Shafts, Heads.... I think they break out the Black Jerseys very rarely. Last time was for the 2016 Blackout Home Game against Duke where we got steamrolled... but i Digress.

This is a really cool look for the team and i love the homages they pay to the Loyola culture like A.M.D.G, Strong Truths Well Lived, and P.J.B for the philosophy professor and team chaplain who was very close to the team who unfortunately passed away a couple years ago
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

IL released their 2nd Bracketology Look and right now they have us as an away game at Maryland in the first round with the possibility of playing Duke in the Quarters.

last weeks results dropped us all the way to 10th in RPI from top 3..
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm IL released their 2nd Bracketology Look and right now they have us as an away game at Maryland in the first round with the possibility of playing Duke in the Quarters.

Losing the top 5 win because UVA sabotaged their own RPI by playing VMI is a killer. Hopefully UVA can get that back and also maybe take out ND and Syracuse in the process. With some help and winning out I think Loyola can still host round 1.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:03 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 pm IL released their 2nd Bracketology Look and right now they have us as an away game at Maryland in the first round with the possibility of playing Duke in the Quarters.

Losing the top 5 win because UVA sabotaged their own RPI by playing VMI is a killer. Hopefully UVA can get that back and also maybe take out ND and Syracuse in the process. With some help and winning out I think Loyola can still host round 1.
If the Hounds don't beat Army on Saturday, you can forget the NCAA's. I'd be careful getting too far out over ski's here.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:57 pm
If the Hounds don't beat Army on Saturday, you can forget the NCAA's. I'd be careful getting too far out over ski's here.
forget about them? loyola is definitely in with a win over army, and most likely in with a loss barring a strange confluence of events (very little chalk).
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

If anything i expect this weekend to motivate the team. If i was playing i'd be motivated looking at Army and possibly ahead. look at it this way. beat Army, another top 20 RPI win. Lafayette hurts a bit. But depending on the PLT if we face BU, thats another top 20, and maybe Lehigh for championship- then another top 20. Boom, RPI goes up. Host a first round game.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

I don't think it's that drastic of a situation but a loss does push them uncomfortably close to the bubble.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:14 pm If anything i expect this weekend to motivate the team. If i was playing i'd be motivated looking at Army and possibly ahead. look at it this way. beat Army, another top 20 RPI win. Lafayette hurts a bit. But depending on the PLT if we face BU, thats another top 20, and maybe Lehigh for championship- then another top 20. Boom, RPI goes up. Host a first round game.
Houndace: you and others are wayyyyy over your ski's here. We just got absolutely smoked by a not-that-great BU team, where the final score should have been far worse than 18-11; Stover saved the game from being the D1 laughingstock-of-the-year highlight reel. Did you catch the last goal of the game where the Hounds' middie simply passed to the BU middie for the opposite direction doorstep goal? I haven't seen one person write about that here; it was worse than junior varsity play. Did you see the 2nd half against Gtown? I'm not sure the Hounds did anything correct in that time frame...they looked like a D3 team trying to play with the big boys; Gtown simply ran out of time.

Spencer is way off. The defense is as woeful as you will find in D1; we couldn't stop any team at this stage (wait til Nichtern lights us up the defense weekend). Our FO team appears not ready for prime time. We have a good attack, but with Spencer disappearing, the attack is just another D1 attack unit. Until proven otherwise, the Hounds are an awful D1 team going backwards.

If the Hounds lose to Army (which let's be honest, is likely), they assuredly will not win any PL tourney... BTW, before then even, what does Lafayette have to lose by hitting us backward to the year 2012? They'll come out loaded for bear and we are on the razor's edge of tossing this season away if bodies start flying in that game, another road game in an ugly town.

Finally, don't forget that by losing to Army, the Hounds will play a PL tourney on the road and not at the RAC...if there's anything we have learned this year, it is that the Hounds play poorly on the road; I'd expect an early exit from any PL tourney. And zero NCAA appearance.

The game this weekend is your season...straight up. If we get blown out, watch this team fold against Lafayette and any PL tourney appearance. This is it. Lose, and go home. Win, and get a possible two game positive momentum and home PL tourney.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:36 pm

I don't think it's that drastic of a situation but a loss does push them uncomfortably close to the bubble.

You might want to take a look at the Hounds' inability to win on the road this season. By losing to Army this weekend (which I have a hard time believing we will not...our defense is potentially the worst of all D1 teams in the top-30, Spencer appears significantly off, and the FO situation last weekend was, putting it charitably, unbalanced), Loyola must go on the road to whomever will host the PL, which they will then need to win outright in order to qualify for any NCAA appearance. And to be sure, they will not win any PL tourney on the road.

Further, if you think Lafayette would like nothing more than to take out a season's worth of frustrations on the Hounds for the last game, you do not know Lafayette; I'd expect injuries if not bench clearing brawls.

If we lose to Army, we will lose at some stage in the PL; I'd expect that to be the first game of the tourney. The Hounds will not be attending any post-season party if they lose to Army and also in the PL tourney, that's a guarantee.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

That is a pretty bleak scenario and is not far off the mark given recent results (play). The Hounds have a hole to dig out of and I suspect they know what's on the line. "ThatSmell" already pointed out what the Hounds need to do to be successful. It's all about the execution, and effort. You flush the last game out of your system and prepare for the next one - one game at a time. Heck, I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here.... I wouldn't even think about PL or NCAA seeding. Take care of what you can control and let the rest fall in place. Lax games are interesting because you never know what to expect except the unexpected and that is what we've witnessed recently. I actually have a good feeling about this game but you never know. Wish I could be there to watch because it's going to be electric crowd and the Hounds haven't done well on the road this year. You have to bring your "A" game when playing on the road and in wet, soggy conditions, which also has not been the case this year. If I was handicapping this game I would favor Army. But I want to see how the Hounds respond. Let's see if the offense can get regenerated and the much maligned defense can snag some GBs, create some turnovers, push the transition, and slide to the right man. And finally, and I hate to place so much pressure on one player, but Savio has played his butt off this season and I'm wishing him the best in this game. Can't wait to watch.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NovaHound wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:07 am That is a pretty bleak scenario and is not far off the mark given recent results (play). The Hounds have a hole to dig out of and I suspect they know what's on the line. "ThatSmell" already pointed out what the Hounds need to do to be successful. It's all about the execution, and effort. You flush the last game out of your system and prepare for the next one - one game at a time. Heck, I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here.... I wouldn't even think about PL or NCAA seeding. Take care of what you can control and let the rest fall in place. Lax games are interesting because you never know what to expect except the unexpected and that is what we've witnessed recently. I actually have a good feeling about this game but you never know. Wish I could be there to watch because it's going to be electric crowd and the Hounds haven't done well on the road this year. You have to bring your "A" game when playing on the road and in wet, soggy conditions, which also has not been the case this year. If I was handicapping this game I would favor Army. But I want to see how the Hounds respond. Let's see if the offense can get regenerated and the much maligned defense can snag some GBs, create some turnovers, push the transition, and slide to the right man. And finally, and I hate to place so much pressure on one player, but Savio has played his butt off this season and I'm wishing him the best in this game. Can't wait to watch.

I agree with this NovaHound. The only thing on the mind of Loyola should be Army. That is all. But I would make sure, if I were Toomey, that my guys would embrace this: if they had to leave every ounce of energy on any field this season, this is that field and this is that game. If I saw one player dog any play tomorrow, that player would not be on the field any longer than it took for me to call out his replacement.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

If i where Toomey, and if Spencer is hurt, i would sit him for Army, move Scanlon to attack... Only use Spencer if the game is getting away.

Loyola will lose if Salvio does not get any help from the wing... they were lazy and did not battle for gbs. I believe the D was a little of with Jackson returning to the lineup.. it through of the timing
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Just listened to a bunch of podcasts who all say that Loyola will bounce back tomorrow against Army. i really think the defense will try to make a stand against army after two bad outings against Georgetown and BU. Spencer will not have another 1 point game
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 am

You might want to take a look at the Hounds' inability to win on the road this season. By losing to Army this weekend (which I have a hard time believing we will not...our defense is potentially the worst of all D1 teams in the top-30, Spencer appears significantly off, and the FO situation last weekend was, putting it charitably, unbalanced), Loyola must go on the road to whomever will host the PL, which they will then need to win outright in order to qualify for any NCAA appearance. And to be sure, they will not win any PL tourney on the road.

Further, if you think Lafayette would like nothing more than to take out a season's worth of frustrations on the Hounds for the last game, you do not know Lafayette; I'd expect injuries if not bench clearing brawls.

If we lose to Army, we will lose at some stage in the PL; I'd expect that to be the first game of the tourney. The Hounds will not be attending any post-season party if they lose to Army and also in the PL tourney, that's a guarantee.
what do you back your guarantees with? many of the teams surrounding loyola if the season ended today are going to take a loss or 2 or 3 before it's over.
the ivy and the b1g have multiple teams ahead of them each, and will likely take 2 auto bids between them. on laxbytes, with no other game adds, give loyola a loss to army and a win over lafayette and they are #10.
that gives them an at large prior to the pl tourney.
everyone else will be taking losses in the meantime, in their own tourneys, etc.... and pulling AQs if they don't. except for possibly one acc school.

there are other scenarios, some pretty far fetched, but that is the point. there is lots of lacrosse left, loyola has a bubble in resume right now, and are far from guaranteed out.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:37 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 am

what do you back your guarantees with? many of the teams surrounding loyola if the season ended today are going to take a loss or 2 or 3 before it's over.
the ivy and the b1g have multiple teams ahead of them each, and will likely take 2 auto bids between them. on laxbytes, with no other game adds, give loyola a loss to army and a win over lafayette and they are #10.
that gives them an at large prior to the pl tourney.
everyone else will be taking losses in the meantime, in their own tourneys, etc.... and pulling AQs if they don't. except for possibly one acc school.

there are other scenarios, some pretty far fetched, but that is the point. there is lots of lacrosse left, loyola has a bubble in resume right now, and are far from guaranteed out.

The patriot league will get one and only one NCAA tournament team and that’ll be whoever wins the Patriot League tournament. No team here has the body of wins to qualify otherwise. And if Loyola loses today to Army, Loyola will not host the Patriot tournament. And if we don’t host the tournament, we won’t win the tournament.

I’d focus on one thing: Army. Lose, and imo we are done.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 pm I hate to quote bill B of the Patriots, but at this time of year, none of these guys, Spencer included, need to do anything fancy other than trust their hard work and “do their job” within the game plan. Get the next GB, next faceoff, next save, next cut, next dodge, next pass. Back to basics. Seasons are roller coaster rides. The team and staff knows it. Trust each other, trust the process and get after it!

:D :D
Rumor mill has Spencer "playing hurt"...any truth to that?
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Cream rises! That's called takin' care of business!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”