~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: ~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

Post by kramerica.inc »

Wow. Pat Spencer delivers on the huge stage. Awesome job Hounds. Good job seniors for an amazing run!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Holy Cow. We were outmanned today, but the fight in this team was so fun to watch! Spencer was amazing, Stover was awesome and Savio was fantastic. Thank you seniors for an amazing 4 years.

Spencer is the GOAT! Great job Hounds!
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

thatsmell wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:31 pm Holy Cow. We were outmanned today, but the fight in this team was so fun to watch! Spencer was amazing, Stover was awesome and Savio was fantastic. Thank you seniors for an amazing 4 years.

Spencer is the GOAT! Great job Hounds!
Your a Loyola guy. Thoughts on the “softness “ on Okeefe & Ament? Why not cut off one or mix things upS play one tight? Didn’t see any adjustments? I don’t want to hear how good they are. Just attempt something different!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

At some point they needed to try some kind of gimmick defense just to see if it would work. Shut off O'Keefe or Ament and just try to win the other matchups. It seemed like Stover had a chance against the shooters who weren't O'Keefe so maybe shutting him off could have helped.

Pat Spencer what a player. Probably won't ever see a better one in a Loyola shirt. I'd hope that was enough to win the Tewaaraton but my guess is the voters will put an emphasis on team success again.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Thank you #7!! Thank you #0!!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:12 pm At some point they needed to try some kind of gimmick defense just to see if it would work. Shut off O'Keefe or Ament and just try to win the other matchups. It seemed like Stover had a chance against the shooters who weren't O'Keefe so maybe shutting him off could have helped.

Pat Spencer what a player. Probably won't ever see a better one in a Loyola shirt. I'd hope that was enough to win the Tewaaraton but my guess is the voters will put an emphasis on team success again.

If Loyola exited after one and he did ok then that may have been true but he did more than enough excelling against good dmen in both playoffs games.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Wow what a game, Pat Spencer, say no more
FOGO - Salvio did what he had to, no help from the wing
Goalie - Stover, Amazing in goal 19 saves
Offense - they can score, but to move forward there needs to be more off ball movement, when they move the ball, unstoppable
Defense - of course ament will have 8 assists if no one is covering okeefe. Okeefe had time and space to shoot. Not sure what the D plan was there
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 am Wow what a game, Pat Spencer, say no more
FOGO - Salvio did what he had to, no help from the wing
Goalie - Stover, Amazing in goal 19 saves
Offense - they can score, but to move forward there needs to be more off ball movement, when they move the ball, unstoppable
Defense - of course ament will have 8 assists if no one is covering okeefe. Okeefe had time and space to shoot. Not sure what the D plan was there

I agree with this post. Was traveling all weekend so I couldn't write here.

Anyway, it's always tough to lose, but life goes on. I think with Spencer and Stover, that was really four years ago the best two kids to come out of the MIAA, and they certainly helped keep Loyola in the national conversation. I won't belabor the game; the bottom line is PSU is a tough tough out, and about the only way to beat them is to go close to 100% at the FO dot and even or better at GB's (where we were absolutely decimated yesterday), which Yale just might do.

As for next year, it's never too early to start thinking! I realize we are losing some serious firepower, but honestly I believe that Loyola has the potential to be an even better squad next year. Whatever Bailey Savio did mid year to turn his numbers, it should concern any opponent next year. For him to square up even against Arceri with very little wing help, let me tell you: our FO numbers next year will be extraordinary. We will need to figure out who initiates on offense...that will be tricky when you lose a superstar like Spencer. As for goalie, let's see what happens there...lots of variables and potential positive surprises.

All in all though, hey, what's to complain? The boys did great this year, and except for a mini-slump at the end pre-tournament, you tip your hat. Spencer is getting the Tewey, and that will be another nice moment for the program.

Thanks everyone for their continued support of the Hounds!
Nyhoo

Post by Nyhoo »

Mr Brown...I thought faceoffs didnt matter?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Nyhoo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am Mr Brown...I thought faceoffs didnt matter?

I think FO's matter a lot. Did I say otherwise? If I did, I was hallucinating. Where FO's might not matter as much is when your defense is sublime a la Army. I don't think we were that this year.

In any event, I'm not unhappy. Whatever happened happened. We are done for 2019 and PSU moves on. 'Cuse felt the same way last week after losing to us. My mind is already on next year. Charley has two great recruiting classes coming in for next year and the year after. The team loses some superstars, but the returning squad is formidable. We will be tested next year by BU for the Patriot League title (I'd say right now, they are probably favored), so our out of conference W-L better be stellar.

Onward.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Loyola is a good team with a very supportive fan base. Watched game with friends and we were rooting for them, thought another comeback win was in offing when deficit closed to 16-14 but not meant to be. A few thoughts from the outside

Stover is a top goalie and had great career but Loyola needed him to be sharp from start and be at 60% . Every goal counts . Thought he let some loose ones in in 1h, had a strong 2h again but finished at 47.5%

Savio is one fine fogo, adjusted to Cuse fogos in 2h last week which factored into comeback. .Yesterday Arceri adjusted to him and gave PSU possession advantage in 2h which stilted . Never know when two good fogo matchup, might be different result if they met today. Perhaps wings could have lent more support but that seems to be a common refrain by every fanbase. Have to rewatch

Okeefe is unreal marksman but not that hard to locate if a D focus. The opposite happened, almost neglected which frustrated and perplexed. Him catching and shooting unfettered in space from in close elicited many What the heck's from this tv audience. Poles seemed flat footed and admiring his form. No one got it.

Spencer followed up last week with an even greater performance, toyed with Sabia who is physically comparable. Spencer deserves the Tewaarton.

Congrats on a good season
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

2019 team is done, not where we wanted them to finish but they should be proud of the effort they did this year. To beat 4 of the 16 teams that made it into the tournament in the regular season is a nice accomplishment.
I honestly expected a loss against PSU, i knew that we had offensive weapons but with the defense being so young against an offense like Penn State's, sooner or later the offense would win.
That being said, the 1st quarter was awesome but the 2nd was where reality started to chip in when Arceri started to win more and more FO's which contributed to the GB differential.

Stover's a great goalie but when the young defense is giving Mac O'Keefe time and room on nearly every shot, even the best goalies wouldn't be able to stop them.

All in all, congrats to the seniors on a fine career. If Spencer doesnt win the Tewey, by no means does it diminish what he has done over the last 4 years.

On to 2020, losing key pieces, but perhaps the team reloads with the members they have now and the recruiting class coming in
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Talking to Charley at the start of the season, he said he had to regularly remind the Scanlan that Spencer was the QB and as such, let him do his thing.

The question then becomes- is Scanlan the new QB, is it someone else, or is it more of a team concept?

Goal is another question mark. Not sure what's waiting in the wings or coming in via recruit or transfer.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:45 pm Talking to Charley at the start of the season, he said he had to regularly remind the Scanlan that Spencer was the QB and as such, let him do his thing.

The question then becomes- is Scanlan the new QB, is it someone else, or is it more of a team concept?

Goal is another question mark. Not sure what's waiting in the wings or coming in via recruit or transfer.

That's an interesting dilemma, the QB one. From a purely lax IQ requirement alone, I'd prefer Lindley; the kid is almost perfect with his lax IQ. OTH, I really like his off-ball movement (when he and Spencer were in sync, it was pure lacrosse beauty). I think Lindley stays as the #1 feed threat and not the QB.

I think among Lindley, Olmstead, Scanlan, and the freshman Poitras, my guess is Olmstead is the initiator. He showed some great dodging skills later in the season.

As for goalie, I think the backup Shaver is ready to go but he 'll surely be pushed by the freshman Teitlebaum. The year after that, we get West Genessee's minder, Staudt, who has earned some high praise. And there of course remains the sweepstakes for the young UVA goalie who has put his name into the transfer portal. I'll keep saying this: Loyola is a heavy Connecticut team, that kid must at least entertain the option of Loyola. Savio, Lindley, 10 kids on this team alone from Connecticut.

No matter what, the incoming freshman class as well as those who were mostly on the sidelines this year will be called into action immediately.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

i could be way off with this take but while scanlan is silky smooth with stick skills,it seems to me that he doesn't always make the right play?

For instance, his go to shot is off the wing at a severe angle either on the run or a step down with very very little room for error. How many times did that work? he would get stuffed a lot by the goalie solely because he runs out of goal space to shoot at that low angle.

Another i notice is that he tries to bulldoze through a defender and lean in which gets shutdown which then results to a spin dodge where he cradles with one hand outstretched which is easy picking for a hard check.

There were times he tries to throw a skip pass of his back leg but its telegraphed too easily and its been picked off multiple times
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Plus if the team doesn't have that QB attackman next year, i think it could be beneficial as they wont have to rely on one guy to draw a slide, rather constant quick ball movement that causes a defense to rotate and then occasionally miss a rotation for a shot. Having Spencer was great, but you could see at some times the other offensive guys just stood there waiting for him to do something, rather than trying to work off of him.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm i could be way off with this take but while scanlan is silky smooth with stick skills,it seems to me that he doesn't always make the right play?

For instance, his go to shot is off the wing at a severe angle either on the run or a step down with very very little room for error. How many times did that work? he would get stuffed a lot by the goalie solely because he runs out of goal space to shoot at that low angle.

Another i notice is that he tries to bulldoze through a defender and lean in which gets shutdown which then results to a spin dodge where he cradles with one hand outstretched which is easy picking for a hard check.

There were times he tries to throw a skip pass of his back leg but its telegraphed too easily and its been picked off multiple times
43G 15A as a freshman?

I'll let it slide...

:lol: :D
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

thatsmell wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm i could be way off with this take but while scanlan is silky smooth with stick skills,it seems to me that he doesn't always make the right play?

43G 15A as a freshman?

I'll let it slide...

:lol: :D
Oh i'm not disputing that he didn't have a great freshman season, he absolutely deserved All American honors, i'm just saying that there were times i thought he made a questionable decision
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

So, everyone is ok w the way they played Ament & Okeefe? That great, or unstoppable? Adjustments during the game? They are really good players, just seems they got off to easy. Did not see anyone play Ament tight. Passed where he wanted through out the game. Okeefe had his hands free all day 9g 16 shots.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

I expect next year Scanlan will move down and play attack with Olmstead and Lindley meaning the entire midfield is open. Wigley and Swindell figure to be on the first line but who fills out the rest is wide open. Defense returns everyone but Volante so there should be improvement and it'll almost certainly be needed without Stover. The faceoff unit should at least have some more bodies to ease Savio's workload which is a plus. Down two of the best the school has ever had will be tough but this should be the favorite to win the Patriot League again. Already looking forward to next season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”