North Carolina 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: North Carolina 2019

Post by seacoaster »

Seems like teams have No. 77 figured out.
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

How did the Heels lose the opener of the first game in the new stadium? Should have had the women play the first game on the new field! Too many untimely turnovers, poor shot selection and not enough saves again. This season is starting to look a lot like 2018 again. Beat the teams (just barely) you should beat but lose to the ones (just barely) that are favored against you. After watching the hi intensity UVA-Cuse game I have no idea how Carolina can beat either of them. Where will they find the quality wins? Better get better fast...
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

OK I got a chance to see them live yesterday. They looked pretty good. Game started off well with both Kelly's scoring goals and then C St's 10 man ride got them flustered, but they righted the ship. Stickwork could be improved as passes were either missed or put in a place where it ruined the play. D is getting better. FO are a huge improvement to last year and that goes to both Tucci and the wing play. Biggest weakness is shot placement. They got good shots but either went stick side or over the goal. Shooting off hip must be some sort of new disease down in CH. Still hope to see a win next week against the Terps
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

The Heels enter the gauntlet part of the season now at 6-2 which is similar to where they were last year. They desperately need some quality wins. I think they need to go 3-2 or worse case 2-3 before the ACC tournament to have any chance of getting an at large bid to the NCAA tourney. I think their best chances for a W will be against Syracuse and ND, possibly UVA. I don't see them beating the Terps or Duke. Don't think they will get blown out by anyone, but they have to beat some good teams to get into the conversation. They have done this in the past when the odds were stacked against them, but this team doesn't yet feel like the 2016 team that ran the table when it counted the most or even the 2017 team that had to win the ACC tourney to get in. What do others think?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Boxster54 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm The Heels enter the gauntlet part of the season now at 6-2 which is similar to where they were last year. They desperately need some quality wins. I think they need to go 3-2 or worse case 2-3 before the ACC tournament to have any chance of getting an at large bid to the NCAA tourney. I think their best chances for a W will be against Syracuse and ND, possibly UVA. I don't see them beating the Terps or Duke. Don't think they will get blown out by anyone, but they have to beat some good teams to get into the conversation. They have done this in the past when the odds were stacked against them, but this team doesn't yet feel like the 2016 team that ran the table when it counted the most or even the 2017 team that had to win the ACC tourney to get in. What do others think?
I've seen a couple of UNC games this year and watched highlights of most of their games. TBH, I'm still surprised UNC lost to JHU because I think UNC has more talent and is a better team. I can't actually pinpoint why UNC's program has taken a step back since the 2016 title. The talent is certainly there. The team is filled with big, strong, athletic players. The defensive system is aggressive but sometimes it looks a bit disorganized (late slides, breakdowns). The offensive system caters to the big time athletes on the field. It does lead to lots of 1-on-1 play. It just looks like the team gets undisciplined at the worst possible time. On paper, UNC has the talent to win every remaining game on the schedule. You all get Duke at home. UVA's style leaves every opponent in the game. Cuse will get up and down the field like UNC will. I think that game at ND is probably the one UNC is least likely to win. They're too structured and disciplined. At a minimum, UNC need to make the ACC tournament, but without high end non-conf wins, UNC might need to win the ACC tournament to get an at-large.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm At a minimum, UNC need to make the ACC tournament, but without high end non-conf wins, UNC might need to win the ACC tournament to get an at-large.
All 5 teams are making the ACC tmt this year, as there is to be a 4 vs 5 game.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cooter wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm At a minimum, UNC need to make the ACC tournament, but without high end non-conf wins, UNC might need to win the ACC tournament to get an at-large.
All 5 teams are making the ACC tmt this year, as there is to be a 4 vs 5 game.
Well, what a friggin' joke that is! No more showcase game?!! :lol:

UNC is a hard team to figure out. Tons of talent, size, and athleticism. Hate to say it but it comes down to coaching.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:24 pm
UNC is a hard team to figure out. Tons of talent, size, and athleticism. Hate to say it but it comes down to coaching.
I dunno, they're 6-2. None of their wins are over top 20 teams but they are all by good margins. Their two losses, Hopkins and Denver, were fairly close. So I am not expecting an easy time of it for the Terps on Saturday.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cooter wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:43 pm
I dunno, they're 6-2. None of their wins are over top 20 teams but they are all by good margins. Their two losses, Hopkins and Denver, were fairly close. So I am not expecting an easy time of it for the Terps on Saturday.
The combined record of the teams they've beaten...13-31. Gulp.
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:43 pm
Im not sure what exactly the problems are with this team but when I watch them play I'm bored. Lots of one v one offense. The individual players are good athletes, but they dont play well as a team. They dont look fluid and in sync, and they certainly dont play fast. They are a predictable team to defend and their shot selections are generally bad. Too many stick side shots that make goalies look great. That being said #3 is the best shooter/scorer on the team but everyone knows that. There have been improvements as compared to last year's team, but it has yet to yield benefits on the field vs the better teams. They will need to come ready to play this weekend against the Terps, but I'm not sure it will be enough to win. Im predicting a 14-9 outcome with the Heels being on the losing end again.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Boxster I agree! Boring! Speed it up! Offense is a snore fest. Denver v UNC was like watching badminton
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

What an ugly 16-9 loss and it wasn't that close. Could have been worse if MD wanted to keep playing in the 4th. They are a turnover machine. I don't think the Heels will win another game this year and will miss the playoffs again for the second year in a row. What a long way they have fallen from Memorial Day 2016. I hate to say this but they are the new UVA in the ACC.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Boxster54 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:10 pm What an ugly 16-9 loss and it wasn't that close. Could have been worse if MD wanted to keep playing in the 4th. They are a turnover machine. I don't think the Heels will win another game this year and will miss the playoffs again for the second year in a row. What a long way they have fallen from Memorial Day 2016. I hate to say this but they are the new UVA in the ACC

Rowlett is a disgrace. How is he allowed to continue to play like that?
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

Spanking :(
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

Didn't see that coming, but then again every time Carolina plays Duke you can throw out the records because it ends up being a close tight game. Carolina was desperate and simply needed the win more than Duke did and got it done. The Heels have to improve on penalties, turnovers and staying on side, but they did find their goalie for the rest of the year and maybe the next three. The kid Johnson played great and won them the game. Upgren also played well in the cage for Duke. Next up are the Cavs, no idea who wins that one after watching the Heels play today. Duke needs to stop the bleeding against the Irish. That should be a great game.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Penn, Brown, Notre Dame, Robert Morris... All big Ws, all movers and shakers. But UNC was the big mover and shaker today.

Computer Rankings Updated.
nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

Great win UNC! Congratulations to the army of freshman and to the coaches for making line-up changes. I can imagine it is hard managing the confidence of tons of talented lacrosse players and keeping up team morale, but at the same time older players need to stay on their game knowing that the coaches will put in other players.

This was my first time watching UNC play on tv or live, so I do not have the context from other games, but quick observations include:

*Rowlett is still fun to watch and he created at least two turnovers with good aggressive play drawing Duke mistakes.

*LSM #4 is fun to watch too...I think that is another senior Lambert.

*Go freshman goalie! Huge saves in the past five minutes, but the D deserves credit too as the shots were not that great. Former UNC player Flanagan (?) had good comments during the game about UNC switching efficiently from zone to man Ds.

*The new stadium looked absolutely beautiful and great to see a good crowd.

*Great to see Trippi get 1st-line O time and it is telling that he drew a long pole.

*what does “POP POP” on the goalie’s helmet mean?

Keep the line-up for UVA and go UNC!
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

Missed the game live but read/saw highlights this morning.

I don't know what spurred starting Johnson in goal and 3 freshman at attack, but I hope we stick w/ it.

Kinda reminds me how UNC was languishing a few years ago until the Duke game, when Breschi started Bitter and Sankey as freshman at attack. I believe we lost that game, but it turned our season around if i remember correctly.
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

Let the Diaper Dandies BALL !!

7 of 10 goals from freshman of sophomores

9/13 for Tucci from the X

21 saves for Caton

Got to limit the penalties - 11 for 8 minutes is a very undisciplined team

Give credit to the defense as they really stepped up in the 4th quarter and allowed Duke O goals and not many good looks.

On to UVA.

Go Heels !
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

Oak St wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:51 pm Let the Diaper Dandies BALL !!

7 of 10 goals from freshman of sophomores

9/13 for Tucci from the X

21 saves for Caton

Got to limit the penalties - 11 for 8 minutes is a very undisciplined team

Give credit to the defense as they really stepped up in the 4th quarter and allowed Duke O goals and not many good looks.

On to UVA.

Go Heels !
Forgot to mention freshman Connor Maher. Kids a STUD !!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”