Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Freshmen group looks quite solid.

Name: Drake Schaffner
Hometown/High School: Ashburn, Va. / Gonzaga
Club: Blackwolf
Position: Defense / Long Stick Midfield
Height/Weight: 6-3 / 222
Accolades: First Team All-WCAC … four-time letter winner … three-time Dean’s List … Maverick Showtime two-time All-Star … All-Ivy Committed Academy Team … Barnes Award … Moller Award … Adrenaline All-American … Inside Lacrosse Top 100 Young Gun Prospect … led team to WCAC title senior year.
Highlight Video

Name: Colin Prince
Hometown/High School: Bradenton, Fla. / IMG Academy
Club: Top Gun Fighting Clams
Position: Attack / Midfield
Height/Weight: 6-1 / 174
Accolades: Academic All-American … valedictorian … National Merit Scholar … team was ranked No. 2 in the country as a junior.
Highlight Video

Name: Cormac Zachar
Hometown/High School: Concord, Mass. / Phillips Andover Academy
Club: Laxachusetts Club
Position: Midfield
Height/Weight: 6-3 / 191
Accolades: New England Under Armour Underclassmen All-American … Cum Laude.
Highlight Video

Name: Danny Hincks
Hometown/High School: Newtonville, Mass. / Belmont Hill
Club: Top Gun Fighting Clams
Position: Goalie
Height/Weight: 6-5 / 201
Accolades: Three-time All-ISL … US Lacrosse All-American … two-time Boston Lacrosse All-American … Boston Prep Player of the Year … Massachusetts Player of the Year … Magna Cum Laude.
Highlight Video

Name: Foster Burnley
Hometown/High School: Amherst, N.H. / Salisbury School
Club: New Hampshire Tomahawks
Position: Defense
Height/Weight: 6-2 / 203
Accolades: Academic All-American … US All-American … Under Armour New England All-American … New Hampshire Defensive Player of the Year … New Hampshire Male Athlete of the Year … National Honor Society … AP Scholar … US Army Reserve.
Highlight Video

Name: Andrew Cave
Hometown/High School: Bethesda, Md. / Georgetown Prep
Height/Weight: 6-7 / 198
Accolades: Played lacrosse, basketball and football … won IAC Championship in football as a junior.

Name: Greyson Ergenbright
Hometown/High School: South Riding, Va. / Paul VI
Height/Weight: 6-2 / 184
Accolades: All-WCAC honorable mention … All-WCAC second team … All-State Virginia (VISSA) first team.
Highlight Video

Name: Henry Stites
Hometown/High School: Louisville, Ky. / Louisville Collegiate School
Club: West Coast Stars
Position: Attack
Height/Weight: 5-9 / 182
Accolades: First team All-State … US Lacrosse All-American … Under Armour Underclassmen All-American Midwest … Kentucky’s Mr. Lacrosse as a senior … Courier Journal Boy’s Lacrosse Player of the Year … Alumni School’s Athlete of the Year … Titan Award for Leadership (soccer).
Highlight Video

Name: Peter Chabot
Hometown/High School: Rye, N.Y. / Rye
Club: Primetime
Position: Face-off / Midfield
Height/Weight: 6-0 / 186
Accolades: All-League … News 12 Athletics Scholar of the Week … Lions Club Athlete of the Month.
Highlight Video

Name: Peter Rizzotti
Hometown/High School: Sudbury, Mass. / Lincoln-Sudbury
Club: Laxachusetts Club
Position: Long Stick Midfield
Height/Weight: 6-2 / 196
Accolades: Dual County League All-Star for both lacrosse and football … two-time Boston Lacrosse All-American … Massachusetts Preps Super Team second team … Eastern Massachusetts All-American first team … Boston Globe All-Scholastic … Boston Herald All-Scholastic.
Highlight Video
The Orfling

Re: Dartmouth Men's Lacrosse

Post by The Orfling »

Agree that's a solid looking group of recruits. Was kind of hoping Yale would bring in this goalie, Danny Hincks, who is a good 'un and the son of a Yale lax alum from the 1980s. No surprise that Coach Callahan seems to have a good eye for goalies.

With a good recruiting class coming in and a strong coaching addition in Conner, seems like good progress in Hanover. Last year's team played hard -- any Ivy league team asleep at the switch may be on the wrong side of the score this year. It's been a while since the Big Green's last Ivy win and I hope D gets at least one this year (but not against Yale, of course!).
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Dartmouth for sure has a great incoming class. Henry Stites may be the best kid from a non-traditional area I've ever seen. He has played box in Canada over the past few summers and that has grown his game tremendously.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Fingers crossed for the Big Green...!
High Glass

Post by High Glass »

Anyone else attend the Dartmouth - UVM scrimmage yesterday? Both teams left their starters in for 3 quarters. It was a very hard-fought and physical game. 7-5 UVM after 3. 8-5 final. Dartmouth did not have any juniors because of the sophomore summer schedule. So, a lot of freshmen got a lot of playing time. Both teams also played McGill earlier in the day, and both won.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

For our fellow Dartmouth fans who care about the school and it's sports programs across the board, or simply about what innovative coaching can mean in any sport, thought it would be good to share this recent article about Buddy Teevens and the football program.

It's a great read:

https://dartmouthalumnimagazine.com/art ... ll-forever

What is so interesting is that these safer, healthier tactics swiftly resulted in such dramatically improved results on-field.

It is also positively impacting recruiting as families are choosing Dartmouth specifically to minimize health risks while playing the sport they love, smarter and better.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

something to be proud of. With a son still playing high school football, this stuff scares me. Each season I get closer to saying no; and part of me was probably relieved this year when said son sprained his wrist - as a lineman, that put him out for the rest of the season with an injury that will heal just fine thank you.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Good to see you made it to the site, CS !
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Just got out of a meeting with the Friends program. Unfortunately I was unable to make it up to Hanover (and missed our football team's first victory over Harvard in 15 years, now 7-0), so participated by phone.

Very impressed with:

1) The tone and tenor of leadership, both coaching staff and Executive Committee; it is absolutely clear that we have excellent momentum in every aspect.

2) Good discussion with AD Harry Sheehy early in call, particularly with regard to indoor facility. I can't say much, but it was convincing that the commitment to this is secure, funded, and real. We're awaiting a decision by NH's Supreme Court which is imminent.

3) Super excited to hear from the coaches, with first exposure to O coach Joe Conner...sounds like the players are fully buying into the philosophy, which I believe will be a major advance in on-field success.

4) Likewise, the recruiting by all accounts has continued to build really well in momentum, with better and better prospects choosing Dartmouth over other excellent opportunities, including Big 10, ACC and other Ivies. More about that with time, including the current freshman class which is the best to date brought in by Coach Callahan. Looks like 2019 and 2020 will each exceed 2018's improvement. So, trajectory excellent.

5) The on and off-field culture continues to solidify as a fun program to play in, with off-field behaviors much smarter. The word "fun" was used dozens of times by the coaches and Exec Committee members. This significant improvement in reputation is having very positive ramifications in support from the College administration.

6) Fundraising continues to increase well, each year exceeding prior goals. However, an important shift is now being enabled to allow dedicated funding of specific program objectives and needs, with a menu provided for such. This same process has been very successful with the football program as it enables major donors to be far more specific in their support and to see the fruits of those gifts more transparently.

7) As the Friends giving is shared with the Women's side, and the Men's has historically been the primary funding source overall, it was gratifying to hear that the Women's side is building momentum again. The trauma over the dismissal of very long time, successful HC Amy Patton has begun to be ameliorated by the rockstar persona and rapid on-field success of their new young head coach, Danielle Spencer. If the Women participate in fundraising proportionate to their ranks, we will see a very significant boost to the resources available to both programs. Sounds like that's underway.

8) There is excellent leadership at the Executive Committee level, Committee leadership, and strong participation in mentoring, events, etc.

If all that sounds overly rosy, let me say that the gap between where the program has been sporadically previously and where it is now remains wide. Big gap between recent status and where we need to be in order to contend consistently in the Ivies and be relevant again nationally.

But serious progress being made.
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

Thanks for the color, MD. Sounds all on the up-and-up, which is great. I'm really interested to see if they can get the facility built and also wondering if Conner brings a new O and game style more like Bucknell. Thanks for the report.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Ox77 wrote:Thanks for the color, MD. Sounds all on the up-and-up, which is great. I'm really interested to see if they can get the facility built and also wondering if Conner brings a new O and game style more like Bucknell. Thanks for the report.
Ahhh, but pretty much all of the Ivy programs have made major leaps forward over the past decade, making it all the more challenging for the program currently at the bottom of the ladder to compete for talent appropriate for the academic program. Yale's slow and steady progression to the pinnacle of both the Ivies and nationally is obvious, but the rest of the Ivies have made major strides as well. All great schools, each with its own character.

IMO, Dartmouth needs to attract kids based on what makes the College unique and special, not that it is 'as good as' Ivy peers.
That's true of athletes and non-athletes alike.

My sense is that the coaching staff understands this and is getting an increasing share of who they want most as a result, along with the improvement reputation about 'culture'.

Frankly, I'd like to see the whole College recognize it's unique assets better than was the case when my own son was looking at schools back less than a decade ago. My wife and I were dismayed by a top Admissions officer's 'pitch' about how Dartmouth was 'as good as' other Ivies in various respects and the tour guides were lightweight in comparison to where he chose instead. We provided a bit of feedback, hopefully others did as well and it was heard.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Dartmouth wins another Supreme court case!! Well..not exactly Daniel Webster and the US Supreme court but good "enuf"! Build the Indoor facility and keep up the "Mo"!!
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Just got a mailing from Director of Athletics. The new indoor athletic facility is approved to proceed as originally proposed. 56,000 square foot indoor field turf clubhouse. Hey Hanover Planning Board and Grafton County Superior Court...you like apples??? We've got our facility...how you like THEM apples? headbang1
check sticks

Post by check sticks »

b1w7o9y7h wrote:Just got a mailing from Director of Athletics. The new indoor athletic facility is approved to proceed as originally proposed. 56,000 square foot indoor field turf clubhouse. Hey Hanover Planning Board and Grafton County Superior Court...you like apples??? We've got our facility...how you like THEM apples? headbang1
http://dartmouth.imodules.com/controls/ ... 55b084b5e1
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote:Just got a mailing from Director of Athletics. The new indoor athletic facility is approved to proceed as originally proposed. 56,000 square foot indoor field turf clubhouse. Hey Hanover Planning Board and Grafton County Superior Court...you like apples??? We've got our facility...how you like THEM apples? headbang1
Love the Harvard put down reference re THEM apples. :)

“It Is Sir … A Small College … Yet, There Are Those Who Love It”

https://www.dartmouth.edu/~dwebster/spe ... ation.html
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

A kid from my neighborhood who I thought was going to go to Dartmouth may have changed his mind.He's taking a serious look at Bruno.YOUTH!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wahoomurf wrote:A kid from my neighborhood who I thought was going to go to Dartmouth may have changed his mind.He's taking a serious look at Bruno.YOUTH!
Well, if he prefers Providence to Hanover, then that's where he should go. We want guys who really want Dartmouth, for the right reasons.
Nothing wrong with Brown.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:A kid from my neighborhood who I thought was going to go to Dartmouth may have changed his mind.He's taking a serious look at Bruno.YOUTH!
Well, if he prefers Providence to Hanover, then that's where he should go. We want guys who really want Dartmouth, for the right reasons.
Nothing wrong with Brown.
Yup! Both are great schools.Two of his teammates are heading to Brown.Not sure if that informed his switch.Interesting.His Brother is currently at Dartmouth and is quite happy.My youngest daughter saw 9 of her classmates accepted to Dartmouth.Damned impressive for a public school....IMO.Four went and enjoyed their stay in Hanover.Dartmouth has always been a popular choice for kids from our school.

Chacun a sont gout.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Enjoyed this article about Sewanhaka's 80th anniversary celebration.

When Bill Ritch 'retired' in 1979, with an incredible HS winning record, and moved to 20 mins outside of Hanover, our HC Dud Hendrick persuaded him to join his tiny staff. Coach Ritch was a huge part of our subsequent success in '79 into the Top 10 nationally, including the first defeat in the 3 years of Ivy play of Cornell (#2 nationally). Quite a character as well.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/fuel/boys ... -tradition

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”