Towson 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Towson 2019

Post by 10stone5 »

State is just the opposite end of the spectrum I suppose.

I think PSU got a good sampling of what the CAA has to offer when they were in this league.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

This could be the year Penn St makes some waves in the tournament. However, they have yet to win a tournament game. Btw, Towson gut punched Penn St two years ago in Happy Valley in May with a lot of the same players on the PSU roster. Penn State has been in Dewey Beach or on the golf course in May. . PLEASE !
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm This could be the year Penn St makes some waves in the tournament. However, they have yet to win a tournament game. Btw, Towson gut punched Penn St two years ago in Happy Valley in May with a lot of the same players on the PSU roster. Penn State has been in Dewey Beach or on the golf course in May. . PLEASE !
Only 3 players are still on the TU team that played in that game and are playing currently....Bodden, Patterson and Z.

edit: forgot Woodall.
Last edited by foreverlax on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:30 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm This could be the year Penn St makes some waves in the tournament. However, they have yet to win a tournament game. Btw, Towson gut punched Penn St two years ago in Happy Valley in May with a lot of the same players on the PSU roster. Penn State has been in Dewey Beach or on the golf course in May. . PLEASE !
Only 3 players are still on the TU team that played in that game and are playing currently....Bodden, Patterson and Z.
Too bad Kirby didn’t stick with the program, or you could have added him to the list.
But, looks like he’s doing ok this year.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:38 pm Curious, why mention Penn St?
It was actually meant as sarcastic. The description of UMass...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That was the same PSU team in many ways.
But somehow, this year’s PSU team seems different.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Health w be a factor for PS. But, they have an excellent team w some seasoning this year. But, it boils down to matchups, and is the team hitting their stride? Do they get Yale in the quarters where Irelan will be kryptonite?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 pm
Too bad Kirby didn’t stick with the program, or you could have added him to the list.
Kirby had some early success at TU, but wasn't going to jump the PT line. Cam Milligan was another "one handed" player that had mixed success at Towson, but broke it open when he transferred to Vermont.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:47 pm
That was the same PSU team in many ways.
But somehow, this year’s PSU team seems different.
The difference this year, all those freshman and sophomores from '17 are now Juniors and Seniors.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 pm
Kirby had some early success at TU, but wasn't going to jump the PT line. Cam Milligan was another "one handed" player that had mixed success at Towson, but broke it open when he transferred to Vermont.
That’s scary when you think about it.
I totally forgot about that dude.
Milligan and Kirby, hhmmm ...
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

I'll let the articles speak for themselves but this was a debacle from the start. Maybe a good five minutes of lacrosse today.
https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/4/13 ... rosse.aspx
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Towson plan was to invert middies & middies to win one on one battles. Midfield went 2-31 shooting! End of story!!! Poor shot selection by the midfield lost this game. It at least took them out of the game for the first 3 quarters. When they went to the attack the offense had some fluidity. Good goalies are beatable, but you have to get them to move pipe to pipe, or turn them around from feeds from the attack. For 3 quarters Sconone received stick side high shots from the middies that were unacceptable. Delaware has a pretty good one as well. Filter things from the attack next week.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Each year we seem to make a real mess of the bed sheets in at least one CAA game. IF there was a game to lose at this point of the season, that was the one. Tigers need to beat the Hens if they want any shot at hosting and they will still need someone's help against UMASS to lock that in. Senior leadership has to find a way.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprise seeing Towson winding up 2-3 and getting in on a coin toss.

Still doubt any team will sweep...Fairfield may well go O'fer this season.

Funny how much changes in a few weeks - from potentially hosting a 1st round game to having their backs against the wall.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Our results are starting to make some real sense.

Hopkins - not as big a win as we hoped

Loyola - Spencer looks injured

Cornel - sloppy track is a great...we didn't play well

Duke - good loss

Gtwon - dominate performance

Denver - they're not all that good either

Umass - great game to lose

Lose again and the season is in further jeopardy.

It is time for leadership, focus and selflessness....the Tiger way is to win the hard way, grinding.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The Loyola game is what got everyone’s attention.
It wasn’t clear at that point how fast teams had ramped up, with new offensive rules. And so Towson’s first quarter against Loyola, that looked like the model to follow, Tigers were overwhelming.

But, then.
Grant Ament and team showed up (and others) and demonstrated how fast the “new game” could be played.

Denver is better than one thinks.
That was sort of their low point.
I really know those players, there is a lot of talent there, Pios decided to go with our local goaltender, freshman as starter. That could give Pios a real end of year boost.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 pm The Loyola game is what got everyone’s attention.
It wasn’t clear at that point how fast teams had ramped up, with new offensive rules. And so Towson’s first quarter against Loyola, that looked like the model to follow, Tigers were overwhelming.

But, then.
Grant Ament and team showed up (and others) and demonstrated how fast the “new game” could be played.

Denver is better than one thinks.
That was sort of their low point.
I really know those players, there is a lot of talent there, Pios decided to go with our local goaltender, freshman as starter. That could give Pios a real end of year boost.
I would never underestimate Coach T...but no TB is rough
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Unless I'm new to the English language, which I'm not, I don't understand the adjective "great" to describe the loss to UMass. There's nothing great about no-showing in the first half on Senior Day at home against your top rival in the CAA and getting dominated for 3 1/2 quarters. I don't think we needed another loss as much as we needed a three-game losing streak to Cornell, Duke and Denver.

I'm not going to take away those Loyola and Hopkins wins. They earned them. But sure, scouting is really good and teams have adjusted to our style. They've taken away most of the transition games. We have to change some things around. I don't think there's a lot do on offense other than changing personnel. More Sovero. You can't have a second midfield that can't score. In the past, we've rotated 4 or 5 due to injuries or the lack of depth. Something has to change.

The good thing is that turnovers have come down. The clearing game has been better. If the players continue to take bad shots against Delaware, replace them. Shot selection can be just as bad as a turnover. UMass showed that last Saturday. Defense should bounce back assuming they are not on the field forever or caught in bad position due to turnovers or bad shots.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Towson’s RPI 12, The rest of CAA is not sitting at the kitchen table. Umass 22, Delaware 28, Drexel 29. These comments are absurd! Three quality wins for the Tigers. They just have to make some adjustments & get back to what works. The midfield shooting percentage is so low I am speechless. Go back & look at games vs Loyola, Duke, Denver, GT. Who led them? Sunday, B McLean , Monahan all day long ! However, along with that comes turnovers. Sunday & Mclean have highest TO totals. UMASS game exposed the midfield ( game plan was middie dodge, invert ) , they couldn’t score & they haven’t scored all year! Hello! This team must stick w these three guys as goal scorers & distributors. The midfield can help along the way. Monahan is a middie, but more of a DH, plays at GLE, inverts etc.

Delaware is not as athletic as UMASS. Towson can’t sit around & play their pace. Push the tempo & get the shot totals up. In 2018 first game 47 shots , beat them pretty good. Second game they sat around w them , no shots 9-8 OT win. I liked what UD did to Tierney last week... they cut him off . Shocker, he didn’t play well & Hofstra struggled. I would extend out on Kitchen, no reason to let him touch it 25 times. UD does not have the poles , nor the athletes at midfield UMAS has , it’s not close.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Math1234 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 pm Unless I'm new to the English language, which I'm not, I don't understand the adjective "great" to describe the loss to UMass. There's nothing great about no-showing in the first half on Senior Day at home against your top rival in the CAA and getting dominated for 3 1/2 quarters. I don't think we needed another loss as much as we needed a three-game losing streak to Cornell, Duke and Denver.
I am as competitive as anyone. History has shown that going undefeated in conference play, doesn't bode well in the finals. The UMASS loss, imo, give a potential rematch advantage to TU. Beating the same team 2x is hard, especially in the CAA.

I'm not going to take away those Loyola and Hopkins wins. They earned them. But sure, scouting is really good and teams have adjusted to our style. They've taken away most of the transition games. We have to change some things around. I don't think there's a lot do on offense other than changing personnel. More Sovero. You can't have a second midfield that can't score. In the past, we've rotated 4 or 5 due to injuries or the lack of depth. Something has to change. The wins over Hop and Loy are epic...never having been done in the same year and never having been ranked #1 are histroical accomplishments and something this team can be very proud of.

The good thing is that turnovers have come down. The clearing game has been better. If the players continue to take bad shots against Delaware, replace them. Shot selection can be just as bad as a turnover. UMass showed that last Saturday. Defense should bounce back assuming they are not on the field forever or caught in bad position due to turnovers or bad shots. We know how well and how badly we can play. IF we had to blow up, glad it happened last week vs two weeks from now.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:21 am Towson’s RPI 12, The rest of CAA is not sitting at the kitchen table. Umass 22, Delaware 28, Drexel 29. These comments are absurd! Three quality wins for the Tigers. They just have to make some adjustments & get back to what works. The midfield shooting percentage is so low I am speechless. Go back & look at games vs Loyola, Duke, Denver, GT. Who led them? Sunday, B McLean , Monahan all day long ! However, along with that comes turnovers. Sunday & Mclean have highest TO totals. UMASS game exposed the midfield ( game plan was middie dodge, invert ) , they couldn’t score & they haven’t scored all year! Hello! This team must stick w these three guys as goal scorers & distributors. The midfield can help along the way. Monahan is a middie, but more of a DH, plays at GLE, inverts etc.

Delaware is not as athletic as UMASS. Towson can’t sit around & play their pace. Push the tempo & get the shot totals up. In 2018 first game 47 shots , beat them pretty good. Second game they sat around w them , no shots 9-8 OT win. I liked what UD did to Tierney last week... they cut him off . Shocker, he didn’t play well & Hofstra struggled. I would extend out on Kitchen, no reason to let him touch it 25 times. UD does not have the poles , nor the athletes at midfield UMAS has , it’s not close.
At this point, RPI doesn't mean a thing...zero chance of an at-large. A win over Cornell, Duke or even Denver would have helped our cause. Losing to UMass has put the Tigers in a position of no more bad games allowed.

The Tigers have pretty much been a low % shooting team for years. Looking back to AA Mike Lynch, as good a North/South dodger, with either hand, as they come...with a 22% scoring average. TYoung is another one who could dodge and beat his man with either hand - had a .29% senior season, but under 25%.

Shooters gotta shoot. Shooters also gotta score goals. :lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”