Towson 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Math1234

Re: Towson 2019

Post by Math1234 »

Luke

Post by Luke »

I’ll take Nad’s point of view over yours. Next Goodrich?
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Luke wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 am I’ll take Nad’s point of view over yours. Next Goodrich?
Really? Half-joking there because all of our great athletes go on the rope unit. How about next Kyle Harrison. He's going to play offense.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss but they have to clean up those mistakes. Eight turnovers in the fourth quarter, including a couple bad ones from Woodall, Sunday and Koby Smith. Nads has to call timeout on the one face-off he won late in the game.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/3/30 ... tra.aspx[i][/i]
https://twitter.com/laxrefbot/status/11 ... 7890096136
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Always take a win. Canto was benched, just didn’t have it. But, you have to go back to him. His presence is to much of an advantage. Brennan jolts prior to the shot, is not tracking the ball. In hindsight TOWSON could have extended out on D, Hofstra had free hands all day. On offense good to see B McLean get back on the board. He has to be productive, and that will relieve Sunday. Ey on the midfield goes to the goal w authority. But he has to change up his shots. High to low, low to high.
Noonan

Post by Noonan »

Mr3Putt What Game where you watching. Think you got Goalies backwards. Brennan put in a tough spot and let up 2 goals in 2nd Half. Hes coming off a Injury(probably would of started from day 1) and Canto has played well. They both should do well as Towson's Def is one of the best, and the shot clock helps them. I think coaches will figure out who plays going forward at all positions. Had a few changes this week in starting Line up.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

It will be a tough call for the coaches. Brennan is a bit better on clears though I like how they handled the clears this week, moving Koby Smith just over the midfield line. Canto makes the more spectacular save. He just never saw the ball on Saturday and they had to make the move. I have no problem with either goaltender because Nads is willing to make the change if one is struggling.

As for Greg Ey, he was starting at midfield due to an illness to J. McLean but I like him there. He's a bit raw but that shiftiness and speed is what we need to complement Monahan and Maloof. Sovero was M.I.A. Not sure if he was sick (Fromert was as well though played some), was benched or is hurt again. He just can't seem to catch a break.

Any CAA win is a good win but we have to manage the fourth quarter lead better in the future.
Last edited by Math1234 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Brennan played fine. Hofstra took 14 shots he made 4 saves. But, they only had SIX shots on cage! So, I don’t think he got a lot of work. So I know what I’m looking at ..... ok! Haha! Canto did not play well vs Cornell & came back strong vs Duke. Brennan is good, I just like Canto’s presence making those special 1-1 saves.
As far as the TOWSON defense they could have extended out more to help either goalies. No stick in any of the shooters gloves & Hofstra shot some bombs. On defense part of the job is to Disrupt! They didn’t do much of that Saturday
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Quint nails it.....
When Towson isn't winning 75% of the face-offs and saving 60%, they are just another team.
GrimLax

Post by GrimLax »

A lot goes into the goalie position, commanding the defense is major key number 1. Like my college coach used to tell us goalies, we want the goalie in net who is making 10 saves a game and only letting up 7. If you are a goalie who is making 18 saves and letting up 12, that means you are letting up 30 shots a game on goal and not commanding a defense. No matter what goalie plays Towson has a lot to clean up.

Turnovers are way to high between the 40s, and in the second half. Offense needs more energy, at times they can move the ball very well, just don't see that energy and excitement we saw the first 3 weeks of the season.

Conference games are always tough. Have to take one at a time, next stop Fairfield
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:22 am Quint nails it.....
When Towson isn't winning 75% of the face-offs and saving 60%, they are just another team.
Don't love everything Quint says about Towson and he wouldn't have said that earlier in the year. But sure, I've been alluding to that in terms of talent on offense all year. Defensively, that's a different story.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

This team played really well today ! Great job, players & coaches. They checked all the boxes in my observation. UMASS got caught up today not dictating the pace vs Hofstra. On to next week!
Last edited by Mr3Putt on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:29 pm The last 3 games Sunday, Monahan & B McLean have scored 7goals & 1 assist. This has to change in order for this team to succeed on offense. 24 shots vs Denver, 35 vs Hofstra is too low. They let Denv & Hof dictate the pace. They need to change that starting this week vs Fairfield. Canto has too many big wins this year not to start. Denver he played great. Hofstra was a different story. When you have the 5th ranked SOS I’m going to give Canto a few mulligans.
But his worst performances came against Hofstra, Cornell and second half against Jax. I can excuse the Cornell game due to field conditions, talent and too many turnovers but Hofstra was just bad. I do trust Nads when it comes to decisions like this and I'll understand if he goes back to Brennan. But if you watch Nads' coaches show, he wasn't overwhelmed with his performance against Hofstra.

On offense, I still think it goes back to pushing the ball in transition but also executing. When we tried to do that against the Pride, we came up empty due to TOs or some shaky shot selection. Don't waste the athletes we have. Koby Smith, Goodrich, Mo Sillah, Dare if he's healthy and Wilkerson along with Jake McLean, Beachum, Wasserman and Ey. They can all run. When we slow it down, we are as Quint said "just another team".
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

https://towsontigers.com/news/2019/4/6/ ... field.aspx

Solid 14-7 win today. Sure, should have put up 20 goals considering Woodall won an incredible 22 of 25 face-offs. Had 52 shots but just 24 on goal. Canto was excellent net with 15 saves. Saw the ball much better than last week. 15 turnovers still a bit too much against Fairfield. Four came in the fourth quarter when we pulled the starters with around 6 minutes left in the game. Thought Fromert played his best game with 4g, 1a. Sunday 4g, 1a but has to take care the ball better (4TOs). Monahan great game with 2g, 3a (10 shots), B. Mac with 3g. Maloof quiet with 1assists and 5 shots. Greg Ey with a goal on a lefty dodge. I think he's going to stay on the first midfield. I guess Sovero has been benched. He came out with the third midfield when the game was out of reach.We're just getting no offensive production out of the second unit.

Love the freshman poles Zungalia (6-7, 220) and Mo Sillah, What potential by both. Zungalia is so long, it's tough to just make a simple pass over his pole. Sillah can really run and is physical. His talent has pushed Jimmy Wilkerson back to a shortie, so Dare is getting less time. It must be nice to be deep at the rope unit. Still want to see us better in transition though Woodall made some great passes after winning face-offs to Sunday twice for point blank goals. Nine of the 14 goals were assisted.

Much bigger test next week at home against UMass.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

They checked all the boxes vs Fairfield, great game. UMASS has the #1 scoring defense in D1. Sconone a lefty is #1 in save %. UMass had 13 of 20 goals assisted vs Towson last year in 2 games. They do a lot of “early offense”. Pushing transition off of substitution out of the box. 5 on 4’s etc. They move the ball well and get layups w the defense unsettled. This is what Duke did to Towson early this year in a 12-10 loss. Duke had 9-12 goals assisted. Taking advantage of when Towson is not settled 6 on 6 on defense. Big game for Canto (Mass native) playing Umass, should be a pumped up effort playing Trainor, same HS. In the CAA title game last year Brennan had just 6 saves (0 in the 4th) 9-7 after 3. But, Umass won the 4th qtr w 3 goals on 4 shots. Noah Rak is gone at fogo for Umass, earlier this year Umass went 8-26 vs TD Irelan- Yale. I expect the same results Saturday vs Woodall.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:23 am UMASS has the #1 scoring defense in D1.
Sconone a lefty is #1 in save %.
OTOH Army put up 12 on UMass as did Yale, Drexel was able to get to Sconone in the first half with six goals.
Tigers can score of course.
Just the offense hasn’t been clicking in the second half of the season as it was the first half.
Still.
A 12-11 game is what I’m seeing.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

One goal game feels right...it is, after all, Thunderdome!!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’d also note I have zero idea who gets to 12 8-)
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:23 am UMASS has the #1 scoring defense in D1.
Sconone a lefty is #1 in save %.

Watch out Penn State!
OTOH Army put up 12 on UMass as did Yale, Drexel was able to get to Sconone in the first half with six goals.
Tigers can score of course.
Just the offense hasn’t been clicking in the second half of the season as it was the first half.
Still.
A 12-11 game is what I’m seeing.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Curious, why mention Penn St?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”