Maryland 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jimmywork

Re: Maryland 2019

Post by jimmywork »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:49 am
Luke wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:31 pm #1 getting away with two crease violations in two games. Did any one ask him how he felt about the 3 controversial call? Also How fast is this game?
Kudos to Tillman and his players for their amazing class and maturity regarding the call. No bitching, no whining, no tirade. As Fairman said, it was just "let's get the next one". They didn't, but they represented themselves and the University of Maryland very well. Kudos to UVA and move on.
Maryland staff and players definitely showed their maturity and are a class act.
terp talk wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:52 pm Watching Lars Tiffany post game made me sick. First he cried about Jared being on the line on the dive play, then he said no one on his sidelines knew about the controversial goal, and then he said he didn't believe in replay. Of course not. because had there been replay the Hoos would have lost. Makes me sick. Of course Tiilman handled the whole situation with class as he always does.
Cooter wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:32 pm Tiffany always makes me feel a little sick. Probably will cause me to root for the other team on Saturday. Of course, overall I am pulling for Penn State.
Maryland's fans on the other hand? Not so much. Take a page from the team you support and stop whining and making excuses.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

palaxoff wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:17 am Just want to say How impressed I was by the composure and class showed on that Goal play. Shows why UMD has been so successful recently.

For getting I suppose one of them signaled a reset on the shot clock Just an FYI, the Ref signaling the reset isn't supposed to be watching ball in the goal, he needs to be following the shooter and making sure there are no late hits.
correct me someone if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that's the trail official's job?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

I didn't see the "offside goal" for UVA...did the commentators pick it up? Someone stated that a UVA player was "running back onsides"--was he offsides or subbing? As long as they only have 6 on O they're good...did they have 7 in the offensive half?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Cooter wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:32 pm Tiffany always makes me feel a little sick. Probably will cause me to root for the other team on Saturday. Of course, overall I am pulling for Penn State.

There were some nice things for Terp fans this Spring. Bernhardt emerging as a star, (the speed with which he gets to the goal in the open field is awesome), Wisnauskas with his big shots and timely passing. Fairman with his 2-way play, A.DeMaio breaking through as a top offensive midfielder, Puglise with timely goals and hard play, Dubick coming through with well-timed cuts for goals, Makar developing into a top defenseman and Corley's hard-nosed play. A lot of nice stuff.

Much of the season was pretty good. The big wins over Villanova and UNC perhaps being the peak. The loss to a talented UVa team at the very end was perhaps not so bad, but it will always be tough to swallow the two, not very close, losses to Hopkins in less than a week's time.
Makar looks like the next great Terp defender. Geppert seemed to earn a lot of confidence from the coaches towards the end of the year too. For the first time all season, the whole defensive scheme looked great (until it didn't). Hope those guys can form the core of another strong MD d that we're all accustomed to.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

jimmywork wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:35 am
Maryland's fans on the other hand? Not so much. Take a page from the team you support and stop whining and making excuses.
I wasn't whining or making an excuses. Just stating my feelings about Tiffany in general.

Hey JimmyWork, what is your other username? You like to use JimmyWork when you want to be obnoxious.
Live Free or Die!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldjayfan wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 am I didn't see the "offside goal" for UVA...did the commentators pick it up? Someone stated that a UVA player was "running back onsides"--was he offsides or subbing? As long as they only have 6 on O they're good...did they have 7 in the offensive half?
they were off. a shorty inexplicably ran over instead of waiting for a pole to get back.

but was only caught by a camera facing back the other way. uva had a successful ride, quickly scored and it was way behind the play. refs aren't seeing that when there's action going on ahead of them and they have responsibility on watching forward, almost ever.
if we had a blimp camera to zapruder, you might see that from 2 teams 6-8 times per game.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 am Makar looks like the next great Terp defender. Geppert seemed to earn a lot of confidence from the coaches towards the end of the year too. For the first time all season, the whole defensive scheme looked great (until it didn't). Hope those guys can form the core of another strong MD d that we're all accustomed to.
I think the Terps defense is an area of concern going into next year. Makar does look like he is developing into a top notch d-man. but after that things look a little slim. Hopefully, Jack Welding will get back in the groove, and Rahill did a nice job at LSM, but no other long poles returning got much game experience, and there doesn't appear to be another Makar-type in next year's freshmen class.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The Terps D looked really good against UVA (and would have, as well, against Duke) because UVA initiates most of its offense from up top through its midfield. Even when UVA plays two-man games behind the goal, they're doing it to go to goal, and the Terps defense is tailor made to stop that from up top and down low. Teams that gave Maryland fits all season were teams that had really, really good attack who could facilitate from behind. Even when UVA got the Terps hung up at X, their attackman was more interested in getting topside. They wouldn't even send cutters. Teams that want to run alley dodges from up top or isolate dodge at X behind play right into the defensive structure that the Terps use.

That's why that entire side of the bracket was so good for the Terps match-up wise. Had Tills not decided to take the air out of the ball with 7 minutes left (or if the Terps had somehow held on if the pipe goal wasn't counted) and the Terps had won that game, I think they would have beaten Duke using the same exact game plan that Tills used against UVA. I don't think the Terps could have beaten PSU or Yale, but a finals run out of that bracket looked pretty good.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Terps also need to find a new starter in goal who won’t have much game experience. Maybe the Terps can attract a transfer or two to fill the gaps. What’s scary is that PSU returns almost everyone of consequence next year and looks to be even more formidable.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Terps will be just fine in goal. Drew Morris is a former UA AA waiting in the wings, and incoming UA AA Logan McNaney has been insane for Salisbury this year.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Seahawk wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:06 pm Terps also need to find a new starter in goal who won’t have much game experience. Maybe the Terps can attract a transfer or two to fill the gaps. What’s scary is that PSU returns almost everyone of consequence next year and looks to be even more formidable.
Penn State does lose Nick Spillane and Chris Sabia, but they should be good again next Spring. One never knows what injuries might crop up.
It looks like they could be doing some major rebuilding in 2021 though.
Live Free or Die!
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

hate to break it to you - UVA was also robbed at 8:25 second quarter - Michael Kraus with a clear goal - watch it in slow motion - they said it was a save, it wasn't - it clearly hits the back of the net of the goal. http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=4de ... 7c3e861447
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

yeah, that wasn't a goal.
dolan's head hit the top pipe, and he clearly makes the save.

terp fans for the most part, and terp program especially... have taken result of a bad call late in stride and with perspective.

they got one that should be called 80+% of the time. especially after getting the exact same deal in an ot game last week. uva got one that should be correct 99.9% of the time. that's lacrosse and umd had their chance to put the hoos away. and didn't.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

nope - watch it slow-motion - pops out of the goal net
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

send a screen shot with the ball in the goal.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

rasheed wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 am hate to break it to you - UVA was also robbed at 8:25 second quarter - Michael Kraus with a clear goal - watch it in slow motion - they said it was a save, it wasn't - it clearly hits the back of the net of the goal. http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=4de ... 7c3e861447
Not even close to a goal.
UVA got a gift from the refs and was handed that game.
Just live with it in the same way the MD fans have to.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

What goes around comes around. Except with Yale, it actually was a goal.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal ... story.html
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

seriously? wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:23 pm What goes around comes around. Except with Yale, it actually was a goal.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal ... story.html
So via the transitive property, UVA deserved their pipe goal to count. Got it
terp talk

Re: Maryland 2019---Tainted Hoos Win

Post by terp talk »

Garbage comparison. I was at that Yale game and at the time there was little or no controversy not even on the field . Upon watching the video tape over and over and over again, it was still unclear as to what happened. If you have a clear shot please send. The idiotic goal call last Saturday was so clear it was a joke. The Hoos win is tainted beyond belief.
seacoaster

Re: Maryland 2019---Tainted Hoos Win

Post by seacoaster »

terp talk wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:21 pm Garbage comparison. I was at that Yale game and at the time there was little or no controversy not even on the field . Upon watching the video tape over and over and over again, it was still unclear as to what happened. If you have a clear shot please send. The idiotic goal call last Saturday was so clear it was a joke. The Hoos win is tainted beyond belief.
12-7.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”