Brown 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
InDeoSperamus

Re: Brown 2019

Post by InDeoSperamus »

Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Gobigred wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 am I'd vote parking over sunlamps.
Lets park behind that Italian Deli in Federal Hill and Uber over. Back to Federal Hill for dinner. :mrgreen:
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

I guess I'll start. Grell is a beast! Great shot. Glad Bruno got past Quinnipiac, but they were a weak opponent today with lots of turnovers. Good to at least blow off the cobwebs and get a convincing W. Fr. attack Cook is good. D seemed solid all around. I like the McCaleb/Newsome/Cook trio at attack. Looks like we may be in trouble at FO. Also, lots of BIG kids out there.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

middleAgedBear wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:10 pm I guess I'll start. Grell is a beast! Great shot. Glad Bruno got past Quinnipiac, but they were a weak opponent today with lots of turnovers. Good to at least blow off the cobwebs and get a convincing W. Fr. attack Cook is good. D seemed solid all around. I like the McCaleb/Newsome/Cook trio at attack. Looks like we may be in trouble at FO. Also, lots of BIG kids out there.
Cook is very good.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

middleAgedBear wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:10 pm I guess I'll start. Grell is a beast! Great shot. Glad Bruno got past Quinnipiac, but they were a weak opponent today with lots of turnovers. Good to at least blow off the cobwebs and get a convincing W. Fr. attack Cook is good. D seemed solid all around. I like the McCaleb/Newsome/Cook trio at attack. Looks like we may be in trouble at FO. Also, lots of BIG kids out there.

"Looks like we may be in trouble at FO." Understatement? IDK, lets's have a few more weeks to let them and the wings settle in, although I admit tiday wasn't good. Must improve from today for League play; that is obvious. Bears may actually have a legit full 2nd O midfield and showed depth everywhere, although it's tough to judge given the competition seemed weak (but remember Q did win last year.) D was aggressive and looked talented enough to make that aggression work for and not against.
Shakedown cruises will look, well, shakey, as the Ivies are hampered by their practice limits
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Q had and has most of their starters suspended from the “incident” in the fall. All of the seniors. Basically a first year team so...
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Midfield on both O and D looks to be the strength of the team. What a good set of sophomore midfields: Grell, Stewart and Aughavin. Brown playing D down low looks like a smart move. As announcers mentioned, a lot of 1st and 2nd years seeing significant minutes. Despite the score play was very sloppy, to be expected after a couple weeks of practice, but a lot to clean up if Brown will compete in Ivies.
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

Haven’t been able to watch. Just saw the score. Ouch. What happened??
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

It was a nice late game push but for much of the game SB had them doubled up on the scoreboard. The starting frosh A looks good (he may be thinking wistfully about UMass by year's end), but otherwise only open shots come from the inconsistent ball movement low to high for middie runners, not much winning 1 on 1 matchups from A or M. Passes inside were a disaster.
Best results on fo's were scrums. Almost no clean wins, wing play meh. Ride worked well 1st qtr, then SB got its feet under them.
Brown clearing would get over midline, then things got weird. Lot of long poles carrying over, not the same positive results as last week.
On D, SB skip passes worked for clean shots after the 1st Q. Before that the D was able to influence the shooters more. Goss ok, not his best, but he made some saves that should have been goals, can only recall one where he had a bead on a 10-12 yard and missed it.

I hear the 2019s are a strong group. Are they locked in? Otherwise big poaching potential unless several people step up. Still a very soph/frosh heavy squad, but the scoreboard doesn't care.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:26 pm
The starting frosh A looks good (he may be thinking wistfully about UMass by year's end),
Naaahhh. Especially not in 3 more years when he has his degree in his hand. ;)
Sting The Corner

Upperclassmen didn’t show up. Goss saved 33%. McCaleb/Song/Panepinto/Newsome combined for 3 goals and 11 turnovers, a lot of them unforced. Bears looked very cavalier with the ball until late in the 4th quarter when already down big. Would be nice to see a little more urgency in the early season.
Cook was the bright spot and Grell continues to put up points. Daly has had slow starts, let’s see these Bears improve and have a year.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Sting The Corner wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:57 pm Upperclassmen didn’t show up.

Post 2nd week panic attack (à la any Hopkins loss thread):

Or did they show up and is this what we can expect? UMBC has two not-that-close losses, Navy and Richmond, 2 teams who may still be in the top 11-20 by years end, and a win vs Mt St Mary's. Rep as a good defensive team. Seems a reasonable chance to 'right the ship'. If Bears don't, it won't be any prettier at UVa (but beautiful campus I hear :) ) or later probably. As of the showing so far, who on the schedule would they be favored against? Dartmouth... Bueller?... Bueller?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

So Stony Brook went to Hempstead and beat Hofstra, a good road win. Makes last Sat seem a little better as this may be a stronger SB team in the AE than the recent past.
Any idea why UMBC? More visibility in the Ballmer area? They are usually just scraping into the top 20 at best.
Haven't checked LaxVegas spread yet.
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

Anyone else struggling with a non-functional stream?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Was until a bit after 12. Ok now. 8-7 UMBC...ooh 8-8 on the bears' best play of the year. Doing well at fo, but not showing up as scoreboard differential. 8-8 at the half. Meh.
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

The feed became active shortly after I posted that. Someone must’ve been monitoring this thread.

Decent half from the Bears - the defense needs tightening, but we’re controlling the pace for the most part and getting good looks offensively. I’ve been impressed with our faceoff performances. Not sure what the numbers are, but it seemed like we won most of them (and there were quite a few, considering 16 goals were scored).

All in all, I’m surprised to see UMBC playing into our more aggressive, fast-paced style. I’d have thought they’d look to slow things down, but they’re attacking in transition nearly as much as we are. Fun game!
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

Falling apart here...
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

Nice shot to win it in OT, but I'm more concerned about blowing a 4-goal 4th quarter lead. That's not acceptable. Too many mental lapses down the stretch. It's a young team, so that's to be expected to an extent. Gotta improve.

Big one next weekend in Charlottesville. I'd love to beat Lars.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well they pulled it out, nice O set in OT. Goss started making saves in the 3rd Q to help give Bruno some breathing room. I can only assume coach D (Brown's coach D, not tobacco road's) is setting up for the Ivy League season and using these games as a bit of an extension of preseason; experience-up the underclassmen and see where everyone shuffles in on the depth chart: 13-10, bears with the ball, he brings in frosh middie #20 for I believe the first time in the game, he turns it over, Retriever goal. Succeeding fo #19 who has struggled all year, and who took the bulk of 4th qtr fo's I believe. Eventually 13-13. Was that a Goss save or a pipe on the last shot of regulation? Note who took the face off in OT.
Sting The Corner

Great opportunity to surprise the Cavaliers, who will be traveling home from Cuse after an OT victory. 2019 has a Any Given Saturday feel to it.
The Face-off game looked great. Continue to be surprised by some of the decision making and turnovers by experienced players.
Wouldn’t be shocked to see Kniffin or one of the sophomore lefties get some rotation for Newsome who hasn’t quite been able to find the back of the net like last year.
Will the Bears stay South of the Mason Dixon line this week or are they headed back to Providence?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”