Brown 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sting The Corner

Re: Brown 2019

Post by Sting The Corner »

Brown gave it away. That’s two games in a row they’ve blown 4 goal leads in the 4th Quarter! Have to look at the coach when that happens.
Bears outplayed UVA today over 60 mins though. 15-23 clears and 0-5 EMO isn’t going to get it done, especially on the road against a more talented team.
Awesome goal out of freshman Pike. Cook had a poor shooting day. UVA Dmen owned Brown attack 1 on 1. Middies looked very good. % for Goss wasn’t amazing, but he was fantastic. Ivy starts next week against Harvard so this squad needs to focus and play 60 mins.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Interesting, glad he was fighting for it. The camera was fixed on the action not the coach, so I didn't catch that. Hard to watch that happen, feels like they tried really hard to give it to UVA. They played incredibly well in some respects, but the enforced turnovers, man, that was rough.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:30 pm
middleAgedBear wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:23 pm Terrible, served up on a platter for UVA. Why didn't Daly call TO when Brown had ball and his Mid was about to get mauled? I was yelling TO at the TV!
He was arguing with the ref that he was calling for a TO and didn’t get it.
he would've had to have called it a good deal before connors came up on him and he had circled well out of the box. can't tell from audio or video when he might've tried to get a TO. brown had a 6 on 5 and he wasn't under pressure. i doubt he would've called it before he was out.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

After Goss' 1st OT save he had 3 guys heading up to midfield with no UVa around but didn't see, and passed it off to a wing D which became a to. After Stewart's steal one Brown ssdm trailed him over midfield and seemed to be in position to see the UVa longpole bearing down on him and maybe give him a heads-up. Of course in a one goal game there are multiple potential critical plays, but these were 2 right in OT.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Wha' happen' to the replay?! Sun 3/10 disappeared from espn replay options? Internet blue laws??!! :lol:
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

This would be a pretty devastating loss to a bad team. Cmon boys. Finish strong.
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

And there it is. Way to pull it out, Bruno! It wasn’t pretty, but it’s a win.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

That was way closer than it should've been. Like the UVA game, unforced turnovers killed Brown. I think Brown hit about 5 pipes (Harvard got 2-3 as well) too. Questionable call too giving Harvard that TO, but I wasn't in the stadium so didn't hear or have eyes on it.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Good win. Bad lacrosse.
Sting The Corner

Take Ivy wins anyway they come. This team will have to claw out wins over Princeton/Penn/Cornell for a chance to play in late Spring. Dartmouth isn’t a pushover this year either.
Good news is the Bears just won an Ivy game on the backs of their underclassmen, which bodes well for the future. Nice to know that 2 O middies and 2 D middies are set for the next 2.5 years (I’d love to be surprised by some newcomers stepping up.) Didn’t play very well and still scored 16 and got a W. Face-off play better than expected in 2019. Bad news: turnovers and clearing are a mess—I cringe to think what will happen against the Yale ride if this doesn’t get cleaned up.
The Harvard goalie had a really nice game, and I was impressed with their transition O. A couple sweet goals from D to O.
Holy Cross coming up, who has played very good teams to the wire in the last three weeks (and also beat Harvard.) Not an easy out at all.
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

This ain't DIII.
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

tb toad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:57 pm This ain't DIII.
Were you attempting to make a point, here? Or simply stating a fact?
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

The point being "turnovers and clearing are a mess". Both issues are coaching points. Time to "coach it up" to a D1 level.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Ugliest brown lacrosse I’ve seen in a while. And what was Daly doing? Spectating? Missed calling TO at critical times a couple times unlike HC coach. Congrats To HC on breaking the streak. Goss stood on his head 2nd half.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Ouch. 25 turnovers and about 10 mental errors down the stretch. Aughavin and Goss were the only bright spots in the second half.
Sting The Corner

Agreed re: Daly. Why can’t this team catch and throw? Goss did stand on his head in 2nd half, but didn’t have a single save until about 7 mins into the 2nd quarter.....
Four players on offense are dangerous. When Newsome is slinging it he’s effective but he must have the lowest shooting % on the team in 2019, and he’s not a threat to dodge or pass. Maybe time for new blood on the left side.
Holy Cross LSM was the best player on the field. He picked up some great GBs on contested face-offs.
middleAgedBear wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:33 pm Ugliest brown lacrosse I’ve seen in a while. And what was Daly doing? Spectating? Missed calling TO at critical times a couple times unlike HC coach. Congrats To HC on breaking the streak. Goss stood on his head 2nd half.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Not sure I've ever seen so many passes blocked when just trying to cycle to the next man on the outside of the offense when the two teams are of ~= talent.
laxtalker

Post by laxtalker »

OK. What is going on? Last year was the first loss ever to Providence and last night first loss ever to Holy Cross? This team appears to have some very talented players but have struggled to string together a complete game. Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?

The good news/bad news is that the Ivy League Tournament appears to be the only path to an NCAA bid and we control our own destiny. Unless, of course we can defeat UMASS, Villanova, Cornell, and Yale; which will provide some seriously needed quality wins.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

some very talented players
Some =/= enough. I almost never mention individuals- this isn't the Hop thread- but the seniors as a group are not having a good year. #s 10 & 12 are out, and the rest of the regular long-term starters on O are not as productive- so far- as they have been in the past. D#44 has played well on-ball, I'd have to watch/'rewind' games to see off-ball. Not something I'm willing to do.
Is UVa's D so bad that we were leading into the 4th, or was Lars biding his time like a boxer carrying his opponent (I do NOT think so!)? How can the O look decent against Virginia then this vs a good 'but' HC? Does youth explain it? 4, 42, 2, 24 look like a very good nucleus. What happened to #s 35, 36? They contributed, and scored some big goals last year.
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

Common thread in the above comments =, "this ain't DIII". Team's mistakes/miscues are correctable with the proper coaching approach. Not a question of talent.

Back in the day, the Grizz used to play starting defensemen on attack for most of the Holy Cross game and had 20+ goal wins over Holy Cross. What an embarrassment last night!

Let's get real, Brown has become an overrated school academically with underperforming athletics. Look to the Administration. They don't want to support athletics so I won't either, no more money.

By the way, anybody know the procedure for applying to DIII?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”