Brown 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Brown 2019

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Are you the same person here and on LP who keeps talking about Richmond leaving the socon for the ACC? No specific comment on that other than to contextualize your attack on Browns program.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

tb toad wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:43 pm Common thread in the above comments =, "this ain't DIII". Team's mistakes/miscues are correctable with the proper coaching approach. Not a question of talent.

Back in the day, the Grizz used to play starting defensemen on attack for most of the Holy Cross game and had 20+ goal wins over Holy Cross. What an embarrassment last night!

Let's get real, Brown has become an overrated school academically with underperforming athletics. Look to the Administration. They don't want to support athletics so I won't either, no more money.

By the way, anybody know the procedure for applying to DIII?
Yawn. If you’re not going to support anymore, that’s fine. Nobody’s stopping you. But take your commentary elsewhere.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Agree, though some criticism is warranted. I'm not sure what Brown's lacrosse performance has to do with the school being overrated academically either. They're having a rough season on the field, period.

It'd be worth noting that Holy Cross is a much better team than they have been in years past, even recent years. Their coaching shakeup last year seems to have been a big improvement. This isn't 1990, there aren't just 8-10 teams nationally (replete with graduates of 8-10 high schools in MD/NY) that beat up on all the other teams. PC, HC etc used to be soft games for Brown, but obviously the game has grown a ton in the last 25 years, and there are literally thousands of D1 capable kids coming out of HS every year.

It has gotten frustrating watching the lack of clearing success this team has had, and I can't ever recall getting nervous that the next pass may be air-mailed or not caught (or so easily intercepted), those things are basic at this level. There have been some moments of brilliance, even in this most recent loss, but they were quick and overshadowed by some things that need fixing.
InDeoSperamus

Post by InDeoSperamus »

tb toad wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:43 pm They don't want to support athletics so I won't either, no more money.
The BDH reported this morning that construction on The TB Toad School For Disgruntled Alumni Studies has been halted immediately citing a lack of lead donor funding and interest in the subject.
Coincidence? I think not.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Anti-toadism rampant on the Brown campus. Even worse than Berkeley! The wart issue is a liberal fool smokescreen. Mueller's investigation into Toadists is wartophobe overreach.
Is this the Bear ex-footballer who used to be a W underpants gnome?
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:30 pm Are you the same person here and on LP who keeps talking about Richmond leaving the socon for the ACC? No specific comment on that other than to contextualize your attack on Browns program.
Yes. I'm not sure how that tidbit "contextualizes" anything.

What may be an aid to your completing the puzzle is that I am a Brown grad/lax letterman/football player. Lax player on Ivy Champs and football player on a team ranked the worst D1 team in the nation by Playboy.

My actual purpose is to point out that no one on this thread seems to want to admit that the last Head Coach search may not have reaped the level of play results expected. In my opinion that reluctance to honestly evaluate the condition is consistent with Bruno's present and recent past administration.

Carberry - please direct me to a more appropriate forum to comment on lacrosse at Brown's College on the Bluff.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Thoughts on Daly:
1. 2019 Bears are a better team than they’re showing and the coach needs to do better. In each of the last two losses, Daly has rightfully taken ownership and put the blame on himself.

2. Glass half full: Brown is 2 goals away from being 5-1 with a win over UVA in Charlottesville. Half empty: watching the Harvard and HC games makes you wonder what these guys do in practice all week.

3. Daly does not have his first full recruiting class on campus yet. The players he has convinced to flip from other colleges to Brown: Aughavin, Grell, Enchill, Pike, Cook, Geppert, among others. Pretty solid. The incoming 2019’s by all account are impressive. It is hard to judge a coach until he has at least a couple years of his recruits on the team. Andy Shay was being run out of New Haven by Yale fans in his early years. He built a culture and got his guys in. Worked out just fine. I’m ok waiting a couple more years to really see what the coach can do.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Sting The Corner wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:25 pm Thoughts on Daly:
1. 2019 Bears are a better team than they’re showing and the coach needs to do better. In each of the last two losses, Daly has rightfully taken ownership and put the blame on himself.

2. Glass half full: Brown is 2 goals away from being 5-1 with a win over UVA in Charlottesville. Half empty: watching the Harvard and HC games makes you wonder what these guys do in practice all week.

3. Daly does not have his first full recruiting class on campus yet. The players he has convinced to flip from other colleges to Brown: Aughavin, Grell, Enchill, Pike, Cook, Geppert, among others. Pretty solid. The incoming 2019’s by all account are impressive. It is hard to judge a coach until he has at least a couple years of his recruits on the team. Andy Shay was being run out of New Haven by Yale fans in his early years. He built a culture and got his guys in. Worked out just fine. I’m ok waiting a couple more years to really see what the coach can do.
+++1. A caveat: I was around for the Nelson years, and those teams too had talent but... he was another championship-winning D3 coach. I'll be patient...
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

tb toad wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:24 pm My actual purpose is to point out that no one on this thread seems to want to admit that the last Head Coach search may not have reaped the level of play results expected. In my opinion that reluctance to honestly evaluate the condition is consistent with Bruno's present and recent past administration.

Carberry - please direct me to a more appropriate forum to comment on lacrosse at Brown's College on the Bluff.
TB, thanks for the explanation. While it is a valid question - I am withholding judgment for another year.

BTW, I always preferred Brown's Winter Resort.
laxtalker

Post by laxtalker »

The recruiting classes before Daly arrived were outstanding and the recruiting classes since are very good. Why should someone wait for success for this team-- waiting for Daly recruits? Coach Tiffany did not leave due to lack of success or talent, he left Brown with plenty of talent behind and plenty of talent in the pipeline. The time to win is now. No excuses, due to his "first full recruiting class". 2017 was good, 2018 not good. 2019 let's make this a year to remember. It starts Saturday. Let's GO!!
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

laxtalker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:57 pm
The recruiting classes before Daly arrived were outstanding and the recruiting classes since are very good. Why should someone wait for success for this team-- waiting for Daly recruits? Coach Tiffany did not leave due to lack of success or talent, he left Brown with plenty of talent behind and plenty of talent in the pipeline. The time to win is now. No excuses, due to his "first full recruiting class". 2017 was good, 2018 not good. 2019 let's make this a year to remember. It starts Saturday. Let's GO!!
It’s not that there 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes aren’t good, but it’s about Daly getting his guys on campus. A coach wants guys that are going to fit in with his system and the culture he wants. There is nothing wrong with the ‘17 and '18 classes it’s just that they aren’t all his guys
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Recruiting to fit your system is fine. But so is maximizing the talent you have by employing whatever system works best for them. And I question what seems to be assumed: that Lars' post-Kelly, post-Molloy recruiting years are in any way exceptional. I admit I don't know who may have decommitted after he bugged out, or which if any current sophs (looks like some fine talent there) were in the pipeline during LT's tenure.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

How many great seasons did Brown have before Lars took them to the final 4?

Has the product really gotten so bad to call for Daly's head after just 3 1/2 seasons? If he is doing it like he did at Tufts, then this program is highly successful in more than just lacrosse. He understands and teaches young men to be leaders. I am going to assume just because he is now DI he hasn't changed his style.

I get it, everyone wants to win, but lets look at the big picture when we are calling for a coaches head.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

sguy9 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:54 pm How many great seasons did Brown have before Lars took them to the final 4?

Has the product really gotten so bad to call for Daly's head after just 3 1/2 seasons? If he is doing it like he did at Tufts, then this program is highly successful in more than just lacrosse. He understands and teaches young men to be leaders. I am going to assume just because he is now DI he hasn't changed his style.

I get it, everyone wants to win, but lets look at the big picture when we are calling for a coaches head.
I think people have trouble wrapping their heads around how much of a difference it makes to have the Tewy winner at attack, the #1 goalie, and a top 3 FOGO...plus other fine talent.

I don't think anyone would argue that the current roster has 3 such comparable difference makers.
Plenty of good players, but that 3-some was unusual for any team, anywhere.
InDeoSperamus

Post by InDeoSperamus »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm
sguy9 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:54 pm How many great seasons did Brown have before Lars took them to the final 4?

I think people have trouble wrapping their heads around how much of a difference it makes to have the Tewy winner at attack, the #1 goalie, and a top 3 FOGO...plus other fine talent.

I don't think anyone would argue that the current roster has 3 such comparable difference makers.
sguy9, great post. +100

MDlax, also a great post. The interesting thing is that in 2014 there was meaningful criticism of each of those 3 athletes on LP. No one saw Molloy as a future Tewy winner when he was a freshman and Kelly was certainly not viewed as a future All-American after his sophomore year. In 2014, Gural was in fact so disregarded as a sophomore when he was 3rd on the depth chart that people on LP were touting an incoming recruit as the FOGO for 2015. In 2014, only Molloy received any post season recognition, honorable mention All-Ivy.

"My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too." Rodney Dangerfield
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

InDeoSperamus wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:36 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:06 pm

sguy9, great post. +100

MDlax, also a great post. The interesting thing is that in 2014 there was meaningful criticism of each of those 3 athletes on LP. No one saw Molloy as a future Tewy winner when he was a freshman and Kelly was certainly not viewed as a future All-American after his sophomore year. In 2014, Gural was in fact so disregarded as a sophomore when he was 3rd on the depth chart that people on LP were touting an incoming recruit as the FOGO for 2015. In 2014, only Molloy received any post season recognition, honorable mention All-Ivy.

"My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too." Rodney Dangerfield
Yes, these 3 guys had tremendous second halves of their college careers. By 2015, opponents knew these were all outstanding players.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

There has been an embarrassment of riches in the Ivy League recently. Molloy, Kelley, Reeves, Teat, Sowers, Fake, Irelan—in a four year span these guys are/have rewritien record books and are going down as all-timers for their schools.

I would argue Brown’s product is pretty solid, it just so happens there are some all-time talents in the league now. To compete in 2019 you need one of those guys.....although Penn may prove me wrong.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Don't recall people wanting the Army and Loyola coaches to be gone when Holy Cross beat them in 2015. Daly is doing fine. As is Holy Cross

In a current college players lifetime, Brown has made the NCAA's a total for 4 times. (1997**, 2009, 2015, 2016 ) **Lasanga head coach.

Brown has been invited 14 times, since 1971, to the tournament. Second in the Ivies to Princeton's 20 invites. Something to be proud of. But, keep in mind, in the past 20 years, invited only 3 times.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

tb toad wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:30 pm Are you the same person here and on LP who keeps talking about Richmond leaving the socon for the ACC? No specific comment on that other than to contextualize your attack on Browns program.
Yes. I'm not sure how that tidbit "contextualizes" anything.

What may be an aid to your completing the puzzle is that I am a Brown grad/lax letterman/football player. Lax player on Ivy Champs and football player on a team ranked the worst D1 team in the nation by Playboy.

My actual purpose is to point out that no one on this thread seems to want to admit that the last Head Coach search may not have reaped the level of play results expected. In my opinion that reluctance to honestly evaluate the condition is consistent with Bruno's present and recent past administration.

If you’re going to make comments with actual substance (like the one I’m quoting), I’m happy to engage with you. Your last several posts had been negative, dramatic, and offered nothing to the conversation.

I still think it’s too early to have a verdict on Daly, but I understand why people are starting to get frustrated. Progress was promised this season, and I’m not sure it’s been delivered yet. The head coaching search was, in all likelihood, less extensive than other schools might have done. That appears to be the standard across all Brown athletics.

However, I don’t think the thought process was all that bad – why not bring in the guy who invented the system you’d been running successfully, and who had won some titles at the D3 level? Maybe Daly’s coaching abilities won’t translate as well as we’d hoped. If we have another middling season, I might be inclined to think that. But I’m going to give him a few more months to get a mostly young team up to speed before I start hoping for a change at the helm. If there’s no demonstrable progress, we have a problem. Until then, let’s see what they can do against the beef of the Ivy schedule.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pmBrown has been invited 14 times, since 1971, to the tournament. Second in the Ivies to Princeton's 20 invites.
Actually third: Cornell has had 28 invites.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”