D1 Mens Lacrosse
darkhaha

Re: Denver 2019

Post by darkhaha »

Really sad news about Dylan Johnson.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Defense looks out of sync against ND. 2-6 is ugly so far.
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

I give this team a lot of credit for hanging in there after digging a hole in the first half (some of which was due to some questionable calls). Considering that Johnson was out and how much man-down we had to play, I’d say the defense did pretty well. Still lots of bad turnovers, though. If I see one more lazy one-handed pass, I’m going to scream… Time to regroup and figure out how to get it done versus Ohio State…
a fan

Post by a fan »

The refs did not have a good game tonight. It happens.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

If the on-screen clock was correct, the goal taken away just before the half should have been allowed. Stopping the stream using the slider thing on YouTube showed the ball hit the net with one second still on the clock. Ultimately I guess it didn't matter, just speaking to the above comment about the officiating,

Loved the all white on Denver though.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Assuming the clock was accurate on the screen, you can see the ball hit the back of net with .01 seconds left before the half.

The refs made a number of mistakes. There were 17 penalties called which seems unusually high. Denver got 10 penalties.

I thought DU cleaned up their defense in the second half, but it was too big a deficient to come back from against Notre Dame, especially when they had to play man down so much.

Notre Dame played well and deserved to win.

Overall, I would prefer ND and Denver play these games at home.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:19 am Assuming the clock was accurate on the screen, you can see the ball hit the back of net with .01 seconds left before the half.
Goal Not Counted
SECTION 11 Under the following conditions, a goal shall be disallowed:
a When the ball is released after time has expired in a period or shot clock warning
b When the ball passes through the plane of the goal and any part of the body of a player of the attacking team is in the goal-crease area
c When the ball passes through the plane of the goal and the attacking team has more than 10 members (including those in the penalty area) on the field of play
d When the ball passes through the plane of the goal and the attacking team or both teams are offside at the time
e When the ball passes through the plane of the goal after one of the officials has sounded the whistle for any reason, even if the sounding of the whistle was inadvertent
f When there is a play-on or a slow whistle for a foul by the scoring team

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/LC20.pdf
Should have been a play on, after a called penalty, no whistle. The ref shouldn’t have blown the whistle after calling the penalty, play on, goal should have been good, and then the penalty wiped out after the score.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:23 am Should have been a play on, after a called penalty, no whistle. The ref shouldn’t have blown the whistle after calling the penalty, play on, goal should have been good, and then the penalty wiped out after the score.
I think that is 101 reffing. Even high school youth refs don't blow a whistle when they call a penalty. What was the penalty for? Not that it matters.

California has lots of great refs. Not sure this was the A team.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:47 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:23 am Should have been a play on, after a called penalty, no whistle. The ref shouldn’t have blown the whistle after calling the penalty, play on, goal should have been good, and then the penalty wiped out after the score.
I think that is 101 reffing. Even high school youth refs don't blow a whistle when they call a penalty. What was the penalty for? Not that it matters.

California has lots of great refs. Not sure this was the A team.
only the zebras are: one from Texas and the other two are familiar faces in big time Div. 1, east coast games
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Yes, we can all agree that the officiating was substandard, but that's not why DU lost to ND.

DU lost because the Pioneers let in 10 goals on the night and had no answer for Costabile, who was effective whenever he had the ball. I am also not a fan of letting Gleason have the ball behind the Pioneer net uncovered...Pios also needed to make more stops in the first half, not dig a six goal hole to climb out of...

The loss of Johnson is a big one, and probably a major reason why the defense did not look very good in the first half. They adjusted better in the second half, but the hole was too big.

DU figured a few things out and played better in the third quarter to close the gap, but in the fourth with the game on the line, the offense sputtered and could only score once. Credit Notre Dame defense for stepping up. They are excellent.

What I am seeing is a DU team that is not yet as cohesive as I thought they'd be by now. The talent is there, but they aren't yet playing together with the kind of chemistry and consistency that they will need to be a contender. There is still time to develop it, but it needs to be much better than it is now...
a fan

Post by a fan »

Puck Swami wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:11 pm Yes, we can all agree that the officiating was substandard, but that's not why DU lost to ND.

DU lost because the Pioneers let in 10 goals on the night and had no answer for Costabile, who was effective whenever he had the ball.
Respectfully, IMHO defense isn't the problem with DU.

You're going nowhere in the 2019 NCAA's putting up single digits. Shot clock era has scores way up. The top ten averages over 14 gpg. Obviously, Denver is nowhere near that number. This will not work if they want to make it to the Final Four, as there are too many teams with solid offenses that will simply outscore DU.

The offense has shown flashes this year, but overall, it's a bit of a car crash. They need to start putting together 4 quarters of lacrosse.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:31 pm
Puck Swami wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:11 pm Yes, we can all agree that the officiating was substandard, but that's not why DU lost to ND.

DU lost because the Pioneers let in 10 goals on the night and had no answer for Costabile, who was effective whenever he had the ball.
Respectfully, IMHO defense isn't the problem with DU.

You're going nowhere in the 2019 NCAA's putting up single digits. Shot clock era has scores way up. The top ten averages over 14 gpg. Obviously, Denver is nowhere near that number. This will not work if they want to make it to the Final Four, as there are too many teams with solid offenses that will simply outscore DU.

The offense has shown flashes this year, but overall, it's a bit of a car crash. They need to start putting together 4 quarters of lacrosse.
I'm not sure how closely a fan follows Denver, or Notre Dame for that matter.

Denver has scored 70 goals over 6 games this year - 11.67 Goals per Game
Notre has held opponents to 35 goals over 4 games - 8.75 Goals per Game

Shot clock or not, defense still wins championships, IF you have a good offense too. You need both to win.

Denver has a great defense and can score goals. Losing Dylan Johnson is a big hole and it will take time to get the defense playing at the same level as a team.

The offense will only get better. Austin French will continue to gel with the Ellis Geis as he plays more. Some of the midi's, like Hannah, need to shoot more accurately and be more selective with their shooting. Denver needs to get the midis and attack playing better together.

The other brutal challenge is playing 5 road games in a row on both coasts. It is tough to play at 8 AM Denver time 1 week and 7 PM yesterday with all the travel and school demands.

Next week is traditionally the hardest for Denver. They have big school demands before spring break and have not done well in mid march games as a result.

Time to focus on Ohio State. They are the only undefeated team left. It will be a very hard game.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm I'm not sure how closely a fan follows Denver, or Notre Dame for that matter.

Yes. That puts them outside the top 20. If that doesn't change, they're going to get caught in the NCAA tournament. Too many offenses out there that, like Denver, will only improve at the season progresses.
DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm Some of the midi's, like Hannah, need to shoot more accurately and be more selective with their shooting. Denver needs to get the midis and attack playing better together.

The other brutal challenge is playing 5 road games in a row on both coasts. It is tough to play at 8 AM Denver time 1 week and 7 PM yesterday with all the travel and school demands.

Next week is traditionally the hardest for Denver. They have big school demands before spring break and have not done well in mid march games as a result.

Time to focus on Ohio State. They are the only undefeated team left. It will be very hard game.
Agree with all of this. My point was that when you put up just 7 goals in Division I in 2019, expect to lose the game, and you can't hang the loss on the defense. The odds your D will hold them to 6 are slim in the NCAA Tournament. They didn't look good on offense yesterday...hope things change.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

a fan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:26 pm
DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm I'm not sure how closely a fan follows Denver, or Notre Dame for that matter.

Yes. That puts them outside the top 20. If that doesn't change, they're going to get caught in the NCAA tournament. Too many offenses out there that, like Denver, will only improve at the season progresses.
DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm Some of the midi's, like Hannah, need to shoot more accurately and be more selective with their shooting. Denver needs to get the midis and attack playing better together.

Time to focus on Ohio State. They are the only undefeated team left. It will be very hard game.
Agree with all of this. My point was that when you put up just 7 goals in Division I in 2019, expect to lose the game, and you can't hang the loss on the defense. The odds your D will hold them to 6 are slim in the NCAA Tournament. They didn't look good on offense yesterday...hope things change.
I took a look at the Top 10 teams thru today on the Inside Lacrosse Poll.

Denver ranks last in Goals For, but is within 1 with Maryland, ND.

Team Goals For Avg
Penn State 18.9
Cornell 16.2
Loyola 14.0
Ohio State 13.8
Towson 13.5
Yale 13.3
Duke 13.0
Notre Dame 12.8
Maryland 12.3
Denver 11.8

Denver ranks 3rd in Goals against, but is within 1 with Duke, ND, MD, and OSU.

Team Goals Against Avg
Duke 8.6
Notre Dame 8.8
Denver 8.8
Maryland 9.3
Ohio State 9.3
Penn State 10.4
Towson 10.7
Loyola 11.2
Yale 11.5
Cornell 14.2

Obviously opponents vary and weather has not been the same for all the games. But, it is an interesting comparison. Higher Pace does not always equate to more wins. I think Duke and Penn State look the best in this comparison.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

DU-fan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:02 pm Just heard Dylan Johnson has a knee injury and out for the rest of the season. I feel bad for him and a big loss for DU.
DUFan: When did DJ get hurt? By the timing of your post, it must have been in practice, possibly in California. Watching the stream, I definitely saw his mother at the game. Huge loss. DJ, Gaines, and Neufeldt as a group were probably the best 3 long poles on any college team. Watching the game, I did see a lack of positioning to cause turnovers and pick up ground balls.

Ellis Geis is going to be a great one. Colton Jackson has expanded his game.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Dunker wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:00 pm
DU-fan wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:02 pm Just heard Dylan Johnson has a knee injury and out for the rest of the season. I feel bad for him and a big loss for DU.
DUFan: When did DJ get hurt? By the timing of your post, it must have been in practice, possibly in California. Watching the stream, I definitely saw his mother at the game. Huge loss. DJ, Gaines, and Neufeldt as a group were probably the best 3 long poles on any college team. Watching the game, I did see a lack of positioning to cause turnovers and pick up ground balls.

Ellis Geis is going to be a great one. Colton Jackson has expanded his game.
I heard it in the pre-game. The TV announcer said broken knee. Not sure if this is confirmed.

I assume it was practice during the week.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Denver - Ohio State game has been cancelled due to weather in Denver forcing the cancellation of DU's flight to Columbus Thursday night. Over 1,300 flights were cancelled in Denver due to the "Bomb Cyclone" storm. No make up date is projected.

www.go.osu.edu/OSUvsDEN31419
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Here's where the Pios' are statistically heading into Towson/Princeton week:

DU Offense: 31st Nationally 11.67 GPG
Defense: 3rd Nationally at 8.00 goals allowed
Clearing - 65th Nationally (out of 73 teams) - .766%

While I am thrilled with the defense we've seen so far, I think frustration is starting to set in at the mediocre offense and the poor clearing game we've seen to date. My hope is that with the extra practice time DU has had after the OSU game cancellation, that the Pios are working to figure out all three of these areas, especially with the loss of Dylan Johnson on defense. I am sure that the second midfield is a concern, too, since it seems to be far from settled at this point in the season. Finally, I remain mystified how the greatest coach in the history of the sport can tolerate the clearing game as it is now. It seems to be a real problem for the Pioneers, and I hope it gets fixed.

Right now, with losses to Duke and Notre Dame and the cancellation at OSU, this Towson game takes on even more importance, as perhaps DU's last chance to beat a top 10 team this year. If the Pios lose again, they are probably going to need to win the Big East Tournament outright to ensure an NCAA bid. That's a tall order, given DU's historic underperformance in Big East tourneys...

I hope Tierney and Co have to play with more urgency this week, as historically, finals weeks have been very difficult on the Pios and losses seem to happen this week each year...

In short, this DU team needs to step up and grab a signature win. Beating North Carolina was nice, but Carolina is not a top 10 team so far this year...
molo

Post by molo »

Both these teams played slow before the institution of the shot clock. Denver still tries prefers long possessions while Towson seems more inclined to run this year. Who would have thought that Denver would start the same number of Baltimore hs grads this weekend as Hopkins? That one local is their best defenseman.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

The ND loss may end up being very bad for Denver if they don't beat Towson. ND will most likely have an up and down season. Every time they lose to a team like UVA, DU will drop in the polls unless they can beat Towson.

The 2 week break feels odd from a season perspective. The weekend off is probably a good thing with finals this week and giving players rest from all the travel. It sounds like the team is also fighting the flu and some other winter cold related issues.

Midi match ups and face offs will present big challenges for Denver against Towson.

As Puck Swami points out, Denver needs to get production from a second offensive midi line and improve at clearing.

Hannah, Jack 5G 9A 41 Shots .122 Shot% - 9 turnovers
Dwinell, Sam 1G 6 Shots .167 Shot%
McKone, Quinn 1G 5 Shots .200 Shot%

A low shoot % also translates into TO's when the goalie makes a save or the team gets beat to the line.

Denver needs to make adjustments to the midfield to get the offense flowing.

Wing play will be key on face offs as Woodall will present big challenges and winning GB scrums will be crucial.

It will be interesting to see how Denver fills the gap with Dylan Johnson's injury. They seemed to recover on defense during the ND game after a rough start. The time off should help. But, Denver has some depth issues at close D and they do not have another defender like Dylan Johnson.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”