O/U: 21.5
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
gunnerz

Re: Denver 2019

Post by gunnerz »

DU-fan wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:16 am https://goheels.com/news/2019/2/25/wome ... ?path=mlax

TAR HEELS TO HOST LACROSSE DOUBLEHEADER SATURDAY AT NEW STADIUM
Posted On: February 25, 2019
CHAPEL HILL—The University of North Carolina will open its new on-campus Lacrosse & Soccer Stadium on Saturday March 2 by hosting a men's and women's doubleheader.

The No. 15-ranked Tar Heel men will host the No. 8-rated Denver Pioneers Saturday at 10 a.m. (previous announced time was 11 a.m.).

The third-ranked women's team will host fifth-ranked Northwestern at 12:30 p.m. in a matchup of traditional national powers in the sport. The previous game time had been listed as 2 p.m.

There will be no admission charge for either game.

Saturday will mark the inaugural events in the facility that has been under construction since May 2017. It is built on the site of the old Fetzer Field, which housed six sports on campus from 1935 through 2017. The current name of the new facility is the UNC Lacrosse & Soccer Stadium.

Gates for the first game will open at 9 a.m. Parking details will be available later this week on GoHeels.com.
New field or not as long as it's grass it's going to be soaking wet. It's been raining in North Carolina, hard, since about 1 pm and it's not going to end until 9 pm or so. Hopefully the new field has good drainage.
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

DU-fan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:45 am Except from US Lacrosse Magazine: https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... -territory

PIONEERING FRESHMEN
As Denver coach Bill Tierney ran down his options on offense late in the fall, he rattled off Ellis Geis as a possible contributor amongst a list of about a half-dozen others.

It was nothing against the 6-foot-4 freshman from California. It’s just that Tierney figured he had a capable starting attack ready to go with tested players.

“If we had everyone, we would have Ethan Walker on the left wing, Austin French at X and Colin Rutan on the right wing,” Tierney said this week. “And Ellis Geis would have gotten in in mop-up duty. He was good in the fall, but we weren’t sure, just like we weren’t sure about Drew Erickson or Johnny Marrocco. Until they get their opportunities in games that are meaningful, you don’t know how they’ll respond.”

Only the Pioneers (3-1) don’t have everyone. French has yet to play this season because of injury, creating an opening on attack. And Denver now knows exactly how Geis will respond. He has a team-high 10 goals entering Saturday’s trip to North Carolina, with Tierney understandably praising his effectiveness.

Geis is the most productive of a large Denver freshman class already contributing. Alex Simmons, who Tierney did anticipate would have a substantial role in the offense, has six goals and two assists while adjusting to playing with midfielders who possess college experience.

Then there’s the Brett Boos, who earned the chance to follow four-time first team All-America pick Trevor Baptiste as the Pioneers’ primary faceoff man. Boos has won 61.5 percent of his draws, including a 20 of 23 outing against Utah on Saturday that Tierney ventured was “Baptiste-esque” because the freshman collected 10 ground balls in the process.

As for Geis’ stellar start, there’s only one real question: What happens when French gets back?

“We’re going to have a good problem,” Tierney said.
I recon French gets a game to ease back into it (maybe splits half with geis against Carolina) then goes back to QB... attack of geis, French and Walker with Rutan power dodging and inverting from midfield! When French comes back Denver will be fierce
gunnerz

Post by gunnerz »

Austin French is listed in the starting lineup.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Alex Ready is playing great.

I can't believe the clearing issues we are having. And too many men on the field leading to a goal is embarrassing. And the face off loses as a team are not good today.

We are playing way too much defense.

4 mins left. I hope we can pull this out.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

UNC is good. I am glad we were able to pull out a win with the early start. 14-22 in clearing is an issue. I am not a fan of the gillman and it seems to be part of clearing strategy.

I would like to know how many quality clears we had under control. I suspect it was close to 10.

Alex Ready looked great. Defense played well. Offense looked good.

Clearing and face-offs need work.

Great to have French back. The new UNC stadium looks great and I am glad we were part of the first game ever played there.
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

Very happy with the road victory over a good Carolina team. For Denver to be good this year, the big players need to be the big players, and today, they were. Walker stepped up today with four goals, French had 5 assists in his debut this year, defense was good and Ready had a good second half, saving 52% on the day.

Clearing (14-22), turnovers and face-offs were an ADVENTURE today, and Pios have lots of room to get better on these areas, and the film will provide plenty of teaching material.

What I liked most is that Denver got down a few in the second half, and the Pioneers responded by scoring enough of the timely goals they needed to score to ensure victory.

The first of five straight games on the road, this was a good test, and DU passed it.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Nice UNC game summary by Inside Lacrosse with w/ Coach T and Coach Breschi comments:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2-10/53877

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The No. 8 Denver Pioneers were a different group than the one that traveled to the Triangle three weeks ago. They didn’t have Austin French in the lineup then to grease the wheels of the team’s offense to function like it did in Saturday’s 12-10 win over No. 20 North Carolina.

A career-high five assists from the attackman helped keep the Pioneers in position to take over the game in the final quarter. At the other end, goalkeeper Alex Ready made key stops during that span that kept the Tar Heels chasing the Pioneers until the final whistle.

“Alex played really well,” Denver coach Bill Tierney said. “Last time down here, he had two saves or something, so he bounced back and played great, and made some big saves down the stretch.

“Certainly, having Austin French back gave us our offense back again.”

Staying within striking distance
No one should have expected anything less than a back-and-forth display of scoring from these two teams, and for French, the timing of using his ability to distribute the ball was critical for Denver to stay close. He helped pull the Pioneers even with the Tar Heels on three different occasions.

When UNC took a 4-3 lead early in the second on William Perry’s first of four goals on the day, French found Ethan Walker to tie it up.

Walker matched Perry with his game-high four goals, with three of them assisted by French.

“There were some beautiful goals scored today from both teams,” Tierney said.

Pioneers offense a problem for Tar Heels
Though UNC led at the face-off X —Zach Tucci claimed 15 of 22 draws against Brett Boos— and picked up a few more groundballs, the effort fell short of expectations.

Leading 6-4 to start the third, North Carolina couldn’t hold off French and Walker, along with Ted Sullivan and Colton Jackson, who each posted two goals during the final 30 minutes.

The lead changed hands and was tied four times heading into the final quarter.

All even after 3
While Tierney felt good about Ready’s work in the cage, Breschi had his doubts of Jack Pezzulla’s effectiveness early in the fourth. Particularly so following back-to-back snipes from Jackson that put Denver up 11-9 with 10:48 remaining.

Alex Bassil replaced Pezzulla, who left the game with five saves to his credit.

Similar in last week’s first loss to Johns Hopkins, the Tar Heels found themselves chasing the lead. There was ample time for a comeback, but that’s where Ready stepped in.

All three of his recorded saves in the period came during North Carolina’s push to pull back even.

Another comeback attempt fell short for the Tar Heels.

“We’re not makin’ the plays when we need ‘em,” Breschi said. “Today we struggled makin’ saves. Their goalie comes up with 11 and we struggled. At the end of the day, that’s a tough spot. They’re good, they’re talented. Didn’t think we came out with that same gusto at the start of the third quarter. They got back in it and it was a slugfest from there on out.”

Staying together
Even while Ready made stops, Denver struggled to clear the ball – successfully doing so on only 2 of 7 attempts for the period.

It was there for North Carolina to take back. Perry scored the game’s final goal with 4:36 left – still two goals down and with ample time to do so. But, from that point, it was just a matter of the Pioneers working hard enough to finish the job.

“They stayed together,” Tierney said. “We felt like we gave up some goals in the first half that we’d like to have back, but they stayed together, tied it right up again, and really it was a war from that point.

“On the flip side, we’ve gotta do a better job of just doing the things in a game that we worked on all week. We get out there and it’s like we didn’t practice all week. But we pulled together, our middies did a great job of scoring goals. Good to have Frenchie back.”
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

@ Puck Swami - Great job with the article on LetsGoDU:

Pioneer Lacrosse French-Fries North Carolina, 12-10
by Puck Swami

DU ruined the debut of North Carolina's new lacrosse stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C. Photo: University of Denver

Senior attackman Austin French, who missed DU’s first four games of the season due to upper body injury, came back to the DU starting lineup with a
vengeance to lift the eighth-ranked Pioneers (4-1) to 12-10 road victory over [15/20] North Carolina Tar Heels .The Pioneer road win ruined the christening of UNC’s brand new 4,000-seat Lacrosse and Soccer Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C. on Saturday morning, Mar. 2.

French tied his career-high with a six point overall performance, and set a new career-high with five assists in the game to lead Denver. His ball distribution skills are critical to the flow of Denver’s offensive attack, and the Californian’s return to the lineup provided just the tonic DU needed to secure its first road win of the season.

Battling an early morning start time on the East Coast, the Pioneers struggled out of the gate and found themselves down at halftime, 6-4 to UNC, but responded after the break with five third-period goals to outscore UNC 5-3 in the period and tie up the game at nine heading into the final period.

In the showdown in crunch time, Denver senior midfield Colton Jackson put the team on his back and scored back-to-back unassisted goals in the first 4:12 of the fourth quarter and Denver’s Ethan Walker fired in his 13th goal of the season (and team-high fourth goal of the game) to elevate Denver to a three-goal lead with 7:10 to go in regulation, a lead they would not relinquish.

William Perry’s marker pulled North Carolina back to within two goals with 4:36 to play in the game and gave the Tar Heels a bit of hope, but Denver's stout defense, led by senior Dylan Gaines, made some key stops down the stretch to secure the two-goal victory, 12-10.

DU senior goalie Alex Ready shook off a bit of sluggish first half to make 11 saves in the win, including three in both the third and the fourth quarters when the game was on line, for his 15th double digit saves performance of his career, and this second in three games. He had a 52% performance in saves percentage on the day, a level that DU will need in the future now that face-offs may no longer be a team strong suit (as they were in the last four years with Trevor Baptiste now graduated).

The Pioneers struggled on clears (14-22), turnovers (18 to UNC’s 17), face-offs (19-7, UNC), and ground balls (38-34, UNC).

DU goes West next weekend as the Pioneers play their biggest lacrosse rival, Notre Dame, in Costa Mesa, Calif., on Saturday at 8 pm MT in the Pacific Coast Shootout for the second time. The Pioneers beat the Irish in the first Pacific Coast Shootout, 10-7 in 2014.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:22 pm Even while Ready made stops, Denver struggled to clear the ball – successfully doing so on only 2 of 7 attempts for the period.

It was there for North Carolina to take back. Perry scored the game’s final goal with 4:36 left – still two goals down and with ample time to do so. But, from that point, it was just a matter of the Pioneers working hard enough to finish the job.

“They stayed together,” Tierney said. “We felt like we gave up some goals in the first half that we’d like to have back, but they stayed together, tied it right up again, and really it was a war from that point.

“On the flip side, we’ve gotta do a better job of just doing the things in a game that we worked on all week. We get out there and it’s like we didn’t practice all week. But we pulled together, our middies did a great job of scoring goals. Good to have Frenchie back.”
Watching MD-ND game. ND rides really well.

Hopefully, the 2nd week of clearing practice has a better result.

A ND win helps DU. Go Irish ;)
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Media Poll has DU ranked #8 again. ND is #10.

Quint ranks Denver #3 again and ND #10.
3. Denver — A three-goal run to start the fourth quarter enabled the Pios to top North Carolina, 12-10, in the debut of the new UNC Lacrosse Stadium. The early 10 a.m. face-off did no favors to the Mountain-timers. Ethan Walker scored four times. Denver was outshot and struggled to clear the ball.

The Pios rivalry with Notre Dame is fiery. They play Saturday night in California.
Should be a fun top 10 match up. I'm glad we are not playing in South Bend in their dome.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 pm
Senior attackman Austin French, who missed DU’s first four games of the season due to upper body injury, came back to the DU starting lineup with a
vengeance to lift the eighth-ranked Pioneers (4-1) to 12-10 road victory over [15/20] North Carolina Tar Heels .The Pioneer road win ruined the christening of UNC’s brand new 4,000-seat Lacrosse and Soccer Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C. on Saturday morning, Mar. 2.

French tied his career-high with a six point overall performance, and set a new career-high with five assists in the game to lead Denver. His ball distribution skills are critical to the flow of Denver’s offensive attack, and the Californian’s return to the lineup provided just the tonic DU needed to secure its first road win of the season.
Austin French, as a senior, led San Ramon Valley to a Northern California title, doing much as he is doing here.

Admittedly, I underestimated that team, underestimated French. But he’s one of the best to come out of the CA system.

You may recognize some of these names.
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/team/roster.a ... 40424d5e7d

(fingers crossed)
Stay healthy Frenchie !
cherrylax

Post by cherrylax »

Any one know if there is going to be any streaming for the game this weekend?
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Cherry Lax- Probably no feed. I'm just going to use PioVision and listen to the broadcast. Saturday night is a 2 event night for me and I'll use 2 computer devices. Hockey live video at 9 EST on NCHCTV and then at 10EST, lacrosse on Piovision audio.
I have no life.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I recall the 2017 Pacific Coast Shootout being streamed on youtube or twitter. I suspect nothing is advertised as they want people in California to buy tickets and attend in person. I remember Virginia and Cornell going back and forth in a shoot out.

I don't remember last year if anything was available for the MD-UNC game.

I hope a video streaming feed becomes available. I'll watch on twitter and the TV & Streaming - Men's D1 2019 thread.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Listened to the Tierney radio show today. Tierney confirmed that the game will be streamed.

Denver will share the link prior to the game on their website and probably twitter.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Great news on a stream.

DU website is denverpioneers.com. Usually a box to pick where you choose the sport. I'll check it out now and reply back if posted yet. If not up yet, I'll try and update specifics when available.
Anyone on here from NJ who might attend DU@Princeton March 26th?
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

It's up. Go to DU. website, denverpioneers.com. Click link to Men's Lacrosse. You will see a area with dates for upcoming games individually. You will see 3 links. Click on picture of camera and you are there.
Now I need your help. I see YouTube highlights everywhere, but I've never joined. Must I get the YouTube app?

Cheers, thanks
darkhaha

Post by darkhaha »

DU-ND live stream: https://youtu.be/A76imBE3Rls
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Just heard Dylan Johnson has a knee injury and out for the rest of the season. I feel bad for him and a big loss for DU.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”