Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by another fan »

seriously? wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:50 pm Could the Brown AD have had some influence keeping Cornell out rather than in? Could it be that it is getting tougher to recruit to Brown in the Ivies?
Brown's lacrosse recruiting is fine-- the incoming class is outstanding, and have heard that the following year is strong, too.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:40 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm Laxfan. You have made a series of assumptions and you know what that did to you. My summer is one week shorter than yours apparently. Keep on dancing but it will be solo
Read QuakerSouth's post above. He/she says it all. There is a big difference between aspiring to be National Champ and expecting to be. Cornell supporters aspire to the championship while JHU supporters expect it to happen and whine when virtually every year is a barely .500 team. Those Blue Jay supporters seem not to realize that the lacrosse world has passed them by. There are many more attractive (and less expensive) options for high school students in 2019 who want to play Division 1 lacrosse than there were the last time JHU held the trophy (2007). And as the game spreads South & West, and high schoolers know nothing about JHU's former illustrious position in the lacrosse world, it will only get worse. And that's a good thing. So brag about the undeserved extra week the Blue Jays received as a gift for defeating a non-top 10 team twice in a week, and enjoy one of the final final 4s played in an NFL stadium.
"Many more..."???

Really, which schools have entered the ranks, since 2007, that you consider "more attractive" than Hopkins?

I'm struggling to think of one...
Of course that's my opinion - depends upon what one finds attractive. I think a number of schools that started lacrosse since 2007 might be more attractive in terms of one or more of cost, weather, opportunity to play, head coach one would have, culture, etc than attending a college in the middle of Baltimore with a coach who curses like a sailor on the sidelines. Not my cup of tea. A partial list includes Boston University (attractive enough for Chris Gray to attend), Furman, High Point, Jacksonville, Marquette, U Mass Lowell, University of Michigan, Richmond, Utah. Denver entered Division 1 in 1999 but became a more attractive destination in 2009 when Coach Tierney arrived. JHU has a storied history which is becoming more & more historical in recent years. A great academic institution, but other schools have their pluses. The worst in the category of weather is your alma mater!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:52 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:40 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:43 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm Laxfan. You have made a series of assumptions and you know what that did to you. My summer is one week shorter than yours apparently. Keep on dancing but it will be solo
Read QuakerSouth's post above. He/she says it all. There is a big difference between aspiring to be National Champ and expecting to be. Cornell supporters aspire to the championship while JHU supporters expect it to happen and whine when virtually every year is a barely .500 team. Those Blue Jay supporters seem not to realize that the lacrosse world has passed them by. There are many more attractive (and less expensive) options for high school students in 2019 who want to play Division 1 lacrosse than there were the last time JHU held the trophy (2007). And as the game spreads South & West, and high schoolers know nothing about JHU's former illustrious position in the lacrosse world, it will only get worse. And that's a good thing. So brag about the undeserved extra week the Blue Jays received as a gift for defeating a non-top 10 team twice in a week, and enjoy one of the final final 4s played in an NFL stadium.
"Many more..."???

Really, which schools have entered the ranks, since 2007, that you consider "more attractive" than Hopkins?

I'm struggling to think of one...
Of course that's my opinion - depends upon what one finds attractive. I think a number of schools that started lacrosse since 2007 might be more attractive in terms of one or more of cost, weather, opportunity to play, head coach one would have, culture, etc than attending a college in the middle of Baltimore with a coach who curses like a sailor on the sidelines. Not my cup of tea. A partial list includes Boston University (attractive enough for Chris Gray to attend), Furman, High Point, Jacksonville, Marquette, U Mass Lowell, University of Michigan, Richmond, Utah. Denver entered Division 1 in 1999 but became a more attractive destination in 2009 when Coach Tierney arrived. JHU has a storied history which is becoming more & more historical in recent years. A great academic institution, but other schools have their pluses. The worst in the category of weather is your alma mater!
Yes, Hanover is thought to be tough weather for laxers, though most folks don't realize how protected that Valley is, making the wind chills more bearable, the snow falls 'softer'. Heck, my son's years at Harvard included ridiculous snow and cold. Cornell can be brutal and nothing in the D1 lax world that I can think of compares to Albany; I've never been as cold as our visits there. I'd add Michigan would be on par with Dartmouth in that regard.

I do think that one can make some arguments, pro and con, for your list, but I don't see any on that list that I'd actually consider a more attractive destination school than Hopkins, unless one can't cut it academically there. A bunch on your list would be more 'attractive' for the less competitive student. But certainly fine schools amongst your list.

I've commented previously that I think people don't understand that Hopkins' location in Baltimore is not "The Wire". Beautiful campus, surrounded by attractive neighborhoods, with the expanding radius' of really nice areas, positive gentrification trends.

You added another factor re coaching, but I think that's a different category.

Of course, this is the Cornell thread, not Hopkins!
another fan

Post by another fan »

Aiden Blake and Angelo Petrakis invited to try out for the 2020 US U-19 team.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Soooo... question: From a Big Red perspective, would we rather have Yale win tomorrow or Penn?

We have to recruit vs both. Yale is riding the crest of a Natty, Penn has reached that level finally, after a lot of years of strong starts and fading late. Considering there are only a limited number of roster spots on each team, would we rather see a Yale dynasty or have Penn become another tough team to recruit against based on recent success?

It's been a long time for us since the Nixon administration and 1987 and 2009 were "Close But No Cigar" years, and also too long ago to be meaningful. Tradition works best when it's consistent, to the dismay of all of our friends from JHU. And they have done better than The Red lately and over time.
another fan

Post by another fan »

I say Penn-- the more elite teams in the league, the better for SOS, RPI, 3 bid league, etc. In addition, except for the ILT last year, Yale seems to have our number, while we have competed better against Penn, including the sad outcome this year.

Straying a bit off topic, I had thought we could make a run this year-- knew faceoffs would be a problem, but did not expect this magnitude. And I did not anticipate how vulnerable our D would be. Next year will be interesting-- we should be stronger at X, but will need multiple pleasant surprises to improve our team defense. After next year, it looks like rebuilding time, although would love to be able to call it reloading.

Go Ivies!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Can’t say I’m upset with the painful way Maryland lost today. By failing to hold on to two large halftime leafs and losing to a mediocre Hop team twice in 5 days, they cost Cornell a bid. Glad an undeserving Tetp team goes home now. Maybe the refs should have considered SOS and RPI and quality wins before calling that a goal. I still believe and always will that Cornell deserved to be in this tourney
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

The late great Cornell goalie Paul Schimoler '89 has been accepted for induction into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. He was a 4-time All America, Ivy League Rookie of the Year & Player of the Year and still holds the record 30 years later for most saves by a goalie in the NCAA tournament (85). For my money, one of the 3 greatest goalies of the modern era and a truly great guy. Paul tragically passed away in 2013 from brain cancer.  I know he will be smiling down when the induction ceremony occurs later this year, and it will be a great celebration and reunion of his Cornell teammates, other former players & friends and family. Here was his remarkable obituary. Rest in peace Paul!  https://www.bangsfuneralhome.com/obituary/1972740
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:50 pm The late great Cornell goalie Paul Schimoler '89 has been accepted for induction into the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. He was a 4-time All America, Ivy League Rookie of the Year & Player of the Year and still holds the record 30 years later for most saves by a goalie in the NCAA tournament (85). For my money, one of the 3 greatest goalies of the modern era and a truly great guy. Paul tragically passed away in 2013 from brain cancer.  I know he will be smiling down when the induction ceremony occurs later this year, and it will be a great celebration and reunion of his Cornell teammates, other former players & friends and family. Here was his remarkable obituary. Rest in peace Paul!  https://www.bangsfuneralhome.com/obituary/1972740
RIP; great to hear.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ivyman: Well, we also had a good run in the Carter years.: :lol:

Seriously, while Yale is my sentimental favorite for many reasons, I agree with Another Fan's analysis that it's better for the league to have balance. Also, Coach Murphy is a leader worthy of some recognition.

Where I'm feeling a bit of cognitive dissonance is with respect to Penn State. Jeff Tambroni did a remarkable job for the Big Red, and has labored in the vineyards for almost a decade to elevate PSU. In an Ivy, PSU showdown, I'd have reasons to feel good about either team heading to the finals.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:36 pm Ivyman: Well, we also had a good run in the Carter years.: :lol:
+1 :lol:
And Ford: '75 and '76 seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornell_B ... s_lacrosse
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:43 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:36 pm Ivyman: Well, we also had a good run in the Carter years.: :lol:

Boy... I'm getting old...
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Boy... I'm getting old... You're correct of course...
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Ivyman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:23 am Soooo... question: From a Big Red perspective, would we rather have Yale win tomorrow or Penn?
When I asked my Yale lacrosse alumnus son this question today, he first scolded me for being unfamilial and traitorous. Then he said -

"The CORNELL perspective? The Cornell perspective is the view FROM THE COUCH!" :evil: :roll:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ivyman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:23 amSoooo... question: From a Big Red perspective, would we rather have Yale win tomorrow or Penn?
Yale. We don't need Penn to become another Ivy where recruits think they can make the final four ...
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

AA announcements:

Jeff Teat: 2nd Team
Clarke Petterson: HM
Brandon Salvatore: HM

Go Big Red!!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

As the 2019 closes, a quick summary of many of the accomplishments of the year:

1) 10-5 record. 4 of five losses to "top 5" teams. 1 loss to a "top 10" team. 2 "top 10" victories.

2) 3 All-America Selections.

3) 10 All-Ivy Selections.

4) 2 Tewaaraton Watch list players. 1 Tewaaraton Nominee.

5) Multiple pro draft picks.

6) Consistent Ranking in or close to the Top 10 in a challenging and competitive year.

Go Big Red! Thank you Seniors.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

faircornell wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:24 pm As the 2019 closes, a quick summary of many of the accomplishments of the year:
6) Consistent Ranking in or close to the Top 10 in a challenging and competitive year.

fairC, you missed a big one…

7) Thank you for providing an exciting, unselfish and most importantly always-fun version of offense. We'll miss Clarke, but looking forward to v.2020.
Nyhoo

Post by Nyhoo »

51 and 45 were working off the exact same script for close to 3 full years for the big red...lot of...jesus how did 45 get such an easy look moments...hope somebody steps up...likely one of the canucks...45 will be missed more than most think.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joatmon wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:05 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:24 pm As the 2019 closes, a quick summary of many of the accomplishments of the year:

fairC, you missed a big one…

7) Thank you for providing an exciting, unselfish and most importantly always-fun version of offense. We'll miss Clarke, but looking forward to v.2020.
Well said and thank you!!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”