Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
VeryRustyRed

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by VeryRustyRed »

"A Tale of Two Halves"...but a W. At 7-2 followed by a Brown goal and an unreleasable, the thought of Penn Redux crossed my mind...
And it could have happened again if not for:
-Ierlan (the best I've seen in goal at Cornell in the last 25 years...and that's just a round number; he has a really high ceiling)
-Tria - won 3 in a row when Brown cut it to two (why did Milliman then follow with Raz?)
-Fletcher - a great goal off of an alley dodge to make it 11-8; no slide; once again, not sure if they knew he has a huge left hand
Regardless of the dicey 4th quarter, my guess is that the team came away from the ND game with greater confidence in themselves.

Other thoughts:
-Brown played zone with a Teat lock-off in the 1st quarter; pretty much a non-press out man after that
-Interesting 1st half Cornell possession - Tarbell (with a pole) had cleared, but stayed on O; since his O mid-stayed on him, Milliman kept him on the field so Cornell could go against the Brown zone and, in effect, two lock-offs. I think Cornell scored on the possession.
-Telesco is now playing as a wing on face-offs - my guess, because of Tarbell's move to close, they are down a ss; Buczek didn't dress; Duggan held his own.
-Cornell looked so much quicker than Brown out of the gate and for the 1st half (note - Brown had a rivalry game vs. Providence on Tuesday); not so much in the 2nd half.
-Nice x-dodge goal for Ward; he's been an excellent 2nd line middie; unfortunately two t/o's in the 2nd half.
-Love to know what went on on the sideline penalty to Teat - Milliman and Daley were exchanging more than "pleasantries"; someone on the Brown thread who was at the game said Petterson screamed a non-politically correct missile at a Brown player.

Next week: Need to beat Princeton. If Cornell wins, I think they will be in pretty good shape for an at-large bid, even if they lose the 1st round game to either Yale or Penn, both top 5's.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

The Bears need the Big Red to win, so go do it.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DALaxDad wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:01 pm The Bears need the Big Red to win, so go do it.
Do they? I thought head to head was the tiebreaker, and if Brown beats Dartmouth, they are 3-3 and hold the tiebreaker over Princeton, UNLESS it is a coin toss as someone suggested.

Which is true?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Tiebreaker:

If a tie still persists, add the goals for and against in the games between the tied teams; teams with the greatest goal differential gets higher seed (6-goal maximum differential per game). Once a highest seed (amongst the tied teams) is determined, the remaining seeds will be determined on the basis of head-to-head competition.

Brown is now +1; Cornell +3 (that last 0.1 second Brown goal could be a killer); Princeton -4

Strange. If P beats C by 6 or more, P gets the 3-seed. Then C wins head-to-head over Brown for 4-seed. If P beats C by 3 or 4, then B gets 3-seed and P wins head-to-head over Cornell for 4-seed. I think. If so, seems like a flaw in the tiebreaker system here. Incentive for C to shoot own goals if behind by 3 or4?

Digging further gives me a headache.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I've posted all ILT possibilities on the Ivy thread. Cornell is in UNLESS they lose to Princeton by 3,4, or 5 goals, AND Brown beats Dartmouth. If Dartmouth beats Brown, Cornell is in. If Cornell beats Princeton, they are the #3 seed and Brown is #4, even if Brown loses to Dartmouth. (Penn is #1 and Yale #2 no matter what.)
Last edited by CU77 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

It’s very simple - just win baby!

Curious what our game plan will be for Sowers

We better come out flying
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

WestVillCornell wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:23 pm It’s very simple - just win baby!

Possessions will be key, FO will be a match up to watch, both teams struggling here....
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

After the first half I thought we have improved nicely and peaking at the right time. Then we played the second half.....

Sloppy play, I was also thinking of the Penn game.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

WestVillCornell wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Also interested in what Princeton's game plan will be for Jeff Teat. They initiated the Shut Off Teat strategy last year and thumped the Big Red 14-8. Hoping Cornell can return the favor and win their way into the Ivy Tournament. Backing in would not be good.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The first half was among the most complete halves Cornell has played this season, including winning faceoffs, not taking penalties, minimizing turnovers, and maintaining offensive efficiency. I don't know what was worse, the third quarter today or the 4th quarter against Penn. Both were bad. Cornell did very little right in the 3rd, except for excellent goaltending by Ierlan, who is really coming on.

So much is riding on next week. Need a win and need for NC and JHU to lose out. Then hope there are no surprises in some of the conference tournaments that turn one bid conferences into 2.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

WestVillCornell wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:23 pm It’s very simple - just win baby!

Sowers had a 10 point day versus Harvard today.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Old news by now, I suppose, but Notre Dame, Towson and Hobart all won. All three games were viewed as toss-ups by the IL Staff predictors.

Lehigh dropped a game to Bucknell.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Before today’s game Cornell was tied for most penalized D1 team with UNC.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

RedIvy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:55 pm Before today’s game Cornell was tied for most penalized D1 team with UNC.
That equates to 20 EMO goals by opponents, including 4 by Penn(!) and 3 each by Albany and Towson. Sheesh, against Towson we had 12 penalties for 9:00 minutes! I don't know what happened on sideline in yesterdays Brown game but luckily no ejections. Time for Big Red to clean it up.
cu21

Post by cu21 »

I've been watching a bit of the Penn State vs JHU game today and I have no clue how you can stop that team right now. Their FO is strong with Arceri, offense is an absolute machine, and defense is strong enough. Just a nightmare matchup for Cornell with FO and that offense the offense really looks like what Cornell should/can play like when they're firing on all cylinders. The fluidity with which they pick, pass, and burn past defenders is really something to admire and its always fun to look at the JHU forum after a game like this. They've gotten significantly better since we played them, but obviously for Cornell right now its one game at a time. Win versus princeton and Cornell looks good for at large unless they're some one bid leagues that get bad beats in tournaments.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

PSU is not Cornell's problem, Princeton and then Yale are Cornell's problems. According to laxreference's projections, Cornell's chances of at an-large bid with a win over Princeton and a loss to Yale in the ILT are 26%:

https://lacrossereference.com/mens-d1-b ... eam62_dtop
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:09 pm PSU is not Cornell's problem, Princeton and then Yale are Cornell's problems. According to laxreference's projections, Cornell's chances of at an-large bid with a win over Princeton and a loss to Yale in the ILT are 26%:

https://lacrossereference.com/mens-d1-b ... eam62_dtop
Agree. Princeton will be a handful. They're the type of team that can give Cornell problems because they're high scoring and play decent defense. Big Red needs to prepare as if it's a playoff game. A 6-goal loss like last year and CU's season will be over. I'm confident the Big Red can win, but they need to stay focused and bring their 'A' game.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:23 pm I've posted all ILT possibilities on the Ivy thread. Cornell is in UNLESS they lose to Princeton by 3,4, or 5 goals, AND Brown beats Dartmouth. If Dartmouth beats Brown, Cornell is in. If Cornell beats Princeton, they are the #3 seed and Brown is #4, even if Brown loses to Dartmouth. (Penn is #1 and Yale #2 no matter what.)
Remember the scene from Python's The Meaning of Life where Cleese is explaining to the school kids how to hang up their clothes depending on their schedules?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Trumansburger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:44 pmPrinceton will be a handful. ... Big Red needs to prepare as if it's a playoff game. A 6-goal loss like last year and CU's season will be over.
Weirdly, a 6 goal (or more) loss is much better than a 3, 4, or 5 goal loss. If Cornell loses by 6 or more, they are guaranteed a spot in the ILT. Which is also true if they win, or lose by 1 or 2. But if they lose by 3, 4, or 5, and Brown beats Dartmouth, Cornell is out.

(Similarly, Princeton should have lost to Brown by 6 or more instead of by 4 …)
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:21 pm
Remember the scene from Python's The Meaning of Life where Cleese is explaining to the school kids how to hang up their clothes depending on their schedules?
Ha ha. Perhaps that bodes well for Cornell. Cleese is Provost's Visiting Professor at Cornell and was A. D. White Professor-at-Large from 1999 to 2006. He visits the Cornell campus regularly.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”