Cornell 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RedIvy

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by RedIvy »

Note Salvatore’s move to base D and Bartaloto to long stick mid in game notes for Penn game. I think I might have mentioned I thought this could be a good option. Hoping it plays out well. Fields has potential but I don’t think he’s ready yet.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

You will never guess who is #1 in the nation on laf's player-impact ratings:

http://www.laxbytes.com/binmenstats19/playerx01.php
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I would not have guessed Salvatore, although I'm sure it's deserved. Unfortunately, Penn defenders are #6 and#14.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Fleet Wallace #17 and Dom Doria #25. 1, 17 & 25 is pretty good!
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:17 am Fleet Wallace #17 and Dom Doria #25. 1, 17 & 25 is pretty good!
Not sure how this is derived but seems odd to me.... while they are clearly good lax players 17 and 25 is not what I have observed watching the games.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I’m really happy Petterson was added to the watch list, he absolutely deserves that recognition. So happy for him!!
GoBigRed1021

Post by GoBigRed1021 »

I think moving Salvatore down low is a smart move, even if it is temporary. Some forget that he has the most experience on defense out of all of our starters, as Wallace transitioned (beautifully) to the position last year from SSDM. Hopefully #48 will be the glue our poles need at close. I would love to still see him gets his reps on the wing where he is as good as it gets. Have to imagine the Big Red will come out firing on Saturday, can't wait! LGR!
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU77 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 am You will never guess who is #1 in the nation on laf's player-impact ratings:

http://www.laxbytes.com/binmenstats19/playerx01.php
Very briefly (if that's possible) how is this determined and what does it mean?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

You can see the details for Salvatore here:
http://www.laxbytes.com/binmenstats19/P ... 013011.php
Ground balls and caused turnovers are this biggest factors in his case.

To see any other player, click on the number on the far left of the big list.

What does it mean? laf made up this formula some years ago. One can certainly quibble with the weightings given to various stats.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks, CU77! That was my recollection. I may well be wrong, but my guess was that we've played so many reps on defense that it means that our defenders have high absolute numbers in these categories versus teams who aren't defending such a high percentage of their time. This is not a deep analysis.
BigRedOne

Post by BigRedOne »

Salvatore also taking draws with the intention of causing CTOs and leading to more GB opps given BR issues at the Dot. Almost need these stats to be contextualized by FO v non-FO; not any more or less important but different circumstances.
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU77 wrote
What does it mean? laf made up this formula some years ago. One can certainly quibble with the weightings given to various stats.
Thanks, 77, no quibbling from me, just didn't know what any of it was based on.
cu21

Post by cu21 »

Need to stop the penalties they have been killing us. I get playing aggressive lacrosse, but the amount of penalties especially locked in or 2 man-up has been just detrimental to this game. Would be up at least 5-6 without them. I may be slightly off on this statistic but coming into today I believe they have the second most penalties in the country which we simply can't afford along with face offs(at least they are decent at man-down D at 25th in the country). I still think they pull this off but need to be more disciplined.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ouch.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Great job by Penn.

Heartbreaking for Cornell. We actually did ok at the X, but recurring vulnerabilities again reared their head. Salvatore had another excellent game and helped at close and Wallace did a very nice job on Mathias. Unfortunately, Fields got lost at some very inopportune times. I don't know if Bardwell was injured, but I barely saw him out there. Buczek, on the other hand was out there constantly, and too often seemed to be waving at Dunn or Handley as they scored (also took another bad penalty). The second midfield was largely ineffectual and sloppy. Coaches tried Maloney on the second line, but he does not really look like a mid, and eventually we stopped running the second unit. We do need more production from that unit, but I'd like to see Lombardi or Wolf get some shifts when the starters are not on.

Despite Penn's goal total, Ierlan made a lot of great stops, and the attack was excellent. Two clutch tying goals by Piatelli at the end. but what was Teat thinking at the end of the game? I thought we would run some clock and play for almost the last shot. Instead, Teat went early and into a crowd where he was stripped.

This is a fine team, with great potential, but we are digging ourselves a potential post season hole.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brutal. Cornell looking like the much better team, dominating in pretty much every phase other than putting the ball in cage. Penn was able to hang close enough to not be out it. A couple of costly mistakes and voi la, the outcome. Damn.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Ouch is understatement.
Talk about letting another team hang around, do a "180" in terms of momentum change, and eventually tie and go ahead.
Penn scored 7 4th quarter goals. Yikes.
-Too bad for Salvatore - I think he was the best player on the field (at least for Cornell). Probably was gassed late in the game. Unfortunately, while the move to close solved the problem there, it created a disaster at LSM. I have no idea why Adler, an LSM with experience didn't play. I can only assume he was hurt or Milliman wanted more size at LSM...
-Two huge game changers: 1) the unreleaseable penalty and a 2nd penalty at 7-2 (Penn scored three times), and then the two penalties at 13-10 --- the second of which followed a prescient comment by Barry Leonard - words to the effect, ?be careful and don't commit a second." Soon afterwards, Buczek takes a needless penalty in the deep corner (almost like fouling a basketball player 40 feet from the basket). Both were killers.
-I still cannot understand how the coaches are utilizing the shorties. I'm not at practice, but as a game-day spectator, I can't agree with the player utilization.
-Last but not least, when you are losing the majority of face-offs, offensive turnovers and failed clears ultimately give the opponent too many chances.
-For the first time all year, Coach M played the 1st mids at least twice for every 2nd line touch. I don't blame him. Not a good day, again, for Licciardi - two important first half miscues, one led to a goal...

Unfortunately, unless the boys run the table (with Syracuse and Notre Dame still to go), there's no chance of making the NCAA's short of the Ivy AQ.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

another fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:29 pmbut what was Teat thinking at the end of the game?
It's not the first time JT51 has done this. I was cringing when he didn't immediately pass the ball to start the rotation. He is of course an amazing player, but one weakness is believing too much in his own ability to hold the ball against aggressive D-men 1.5 times his size …

Too early to count the team out of an at-large berth. Lots of lax left to play.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:42 pmToo early to count the team out of an at-large berth. Lots of lax left to play.
I agree, but not much margin for error left.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Heartbreaker

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”