Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2019

Post by old salt »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:05 pm offensive guys are simply 1000% better than a number of years ago in skill, athleticism. and they play confident and trust each other. navy should continue to be able to score.
Yep. Looks like Coach's finally got guys who can face dodge, make his offense work & don't have to think about what they're doing.
It looks like it's coming naturally to them & they're not having to learn a new system.
LadyLaker

Post by LadyLaker »

I don’t know what Princeton-Navy game you boys were watching, but it was same old, same old to me.

The whole defensive strategy was around #22 Sowers and there was no compensation for Emmett Cordrey (who was named Ivy League Player of the Week) last week.

Almost every shot on Kern was literally in his face —every shot. He did what he could, but slides were slow or non-existent, telling us all in NMCS that the coaching staff still cannot execute mid-game adjustments. I give Kern high marks for doing his best. When he was the man down for a foul, Rees came in cold (literally and figuratively) and made a phenomenal stop on the doorstep. Why not keep him in for a while - he was a change that Princeton had to accommodate. But no, he was out after the minute foul and we were back to the same game plan.

Princeton friends were remarking the coaching staff was standing there with their mouths open. These guys were shocked that Navy wasn’t mixing it up or at least trying new schemes.

Both teams had a lot of missed passes - more than I like to see at the D1 level. Early in the season is no excuse. Fundamental passing & catching is a valid expectation at this level.

I give Navy props for not giving up. Coaching stafff has to prepare for the best players but then for the 2nd and 3rd best too...otherwise it’ll be Princeton all over every game.

At least Mr. LL was happy.

LL
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Welcome back LL.

Sorry those you were sitting with didn’t teach you the 3-4 different defensive strategies they used but maybe you left by halftime. Will not disagree that the the first two defensive ideas failed, chalk it up to possibly overcoaching, or maybe scout team trying to emulate PU and the D showed success.

Cordrey had 2 points after half and sowers had 3 after halftime. After they torched us the first half. Clearly adjustment were made.

Sowers and Cordrey are great players for sure, as are many of the PU players.

It speaks volumes that your first post since joining back in summer 2018 is to come out of hiding and dump on Navy.... once again.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
LadyLaker

Post by LadyLaker »

Ahhh youth. I missed you.

Not dumping on Navy (I see your vocab hasn’t improved much in the off-season).

Princeton suffers from deplorable 3rd Qs and has since Tierney left. Proof this is still their issue, one need look further than their OT losses to UVA and Hop where they allowed the games literally to skip their fingers. I saw more of the same from them in that Q and it looked like that when Navy got 3-goal run. But the hole Navy dug itself in the 1st half was too deep.

You can spin & weave as you must. I call it as I see it. Navy will end up 3 in the PL, maybe 2 if lucky with wins. Loyola will take the league. Princeton, sadly, isn’t that strong this year either, but their # of on the doorstep shots tell the story of a team in need of more defensive work. Kern, who I happen to think is a superb goalie, was left high and dry too often.

BTW, that comment abt the coaching staff was made towards the end of the 3rd Q, You know that magical transitional Q of yours. In the end, the points do tell a story: both Sowers and Cordrey were the counterpunch to Navy’s adjustments by moving the ball to others. And the slides were still slow if at all.

LL
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

As the parent of one of Navy’s starting defensemen I can assure you (from my son) they made several adjustments (one of which finally worked) but the damage was done. And yes, as Coach Wellner told the defense, he over coached them. He took full responsibility. Now as my son told me we also didn’t show up to play and were flat. We need more intensity.

Sooo LL thanks for playing and see you never.

BTW- hope you weren’t friends with the group of 6 fathers who sat and yelled at the referees and Navy Bench the whole game. Oh and do your coaches (the Princeton coaches) ever not complain?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Maybe the halftime adjustments worked. It was hard to tell.

The changes in the 1st half looked like having 2 shorties or 1 shortie/1 pole stand on the crease, watching #22 cut them up.
Then iso'ing a shorty on #22 (with no slides to help). Ball watching every time #22 took the ball behind.

TeamD started in their basic man D, but quickly switched to zone when #41 got tripped up on the goal net on a couple early possessions marking #22, but no harm resulted, since a slide came to help or #22 had to rush his shot. Going zone was not the answer. #18 did well marking #22, but he didn't get much help in front. The hole was too deep & Navy's overall team play wasn't strong enough to win otherwise, even if they'd have limited #22.

Midweek Ivy games aren't going well.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Ahhh ! Back in the PL comfort zone.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

...during a pause in game play. the Referee pulls youthathletics aside and says, Youth, watch the language. There are kids on the sidelines who can hear you. And then play continues...
LadyLaker

Post by LadyLaker »

admin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:41 am ...during a pause in game play. the Referee pulls youthathletics aside and says, Youth, watch the language. There are kids on the sidelines who can hear you. And then play continues...
Well played Sir!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

@youthathletics, I always appreciate your take on Navy's play. The Princeton game was disappointing, but Sowers is a top 5 attackman (if not higher) and almost every team lays an egg at some point during the season. Look at the night-and-day difference this weekend between Cornell's drubbing by Penn State and of Towson, just two days apart.

I was heartened to see Navy come back with a clean, efficient win against Lafayette in Patriot League play. The road back to the NCAA tournament has gotten more difficult as a result of Navy's second out-of-conference loss, but I think this is a team with some offensive difference-makers (mainly Wade and Torain) and a great goaltender in Kern that can compete for the PL title and AQ. Among other things, this year going into the PLT they won't have that 10 day layoff that always seemed to allow for an extra build-up of rust.

Here's hoping for a great game against Loyola next week. Go Mids!
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

HealthyDebate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:33 am As the parent of one of Navy’s starting defensemen I can assure you (from my son) they made several adjustments (one of which finally worked) but the damage was done. And yes, as Coach Wellner told the defense, he over coached them. He took full responsibility. Now as my son told me we also didn’t show up to play and were flat. We need more intensity.
Interesting that you and your son are throwing Coach Wellner under the bus . He will be a Top D1 Coach very soon and is currently just an excellent recruiter and better human being by all accounts . Is he not a mere Assistant and should the current Head Coach own any of this criticism ?

Just asking :?:

Very pleased with the team effort in Easton and I believe we have Loyola right where we want them . I smell an upset coming.

GO NAVY , Beat Everyone !

"T"
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Tecumseh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:30 pm
HealthyDebate wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:33 am As the parent of one of Navy’s starting defensemen I can assure you (from my son) they made several adjustments (one of which finally worked) but the damage was done. And yes, as Coach Wellner told the defense, he over coached them. He took full responsibility. Now as my son told me we also didn’t show up to play and were flat. We need more intensity.
Interesting that you and your son are throwing Coach Wellner under the bus . He will be a Top D1 Coach very soon and is currently just an excellent recruiter and better human being by all accounts . Is he not a mere Assistant and should the current Head Coach own any of this criticism ?

Just asking :?:

Very pleased with the team effort in Easton and I believe we have Loyola right where we want them . I smell an upset coming.

GO NAVY , Beat Everyone !

"T"
Ah, hey now T! My differing viewpoint: I did not read HealthyDebate's post at all as throwing Coach W under the bus. It responded to a statement that no coaching adjustments had been made and offered the (credible to me) assertion that, from the point of view of the current team, the D coordinator and players both take responsibility for a sub-par day on defense. I read the post as evidencing respect from the players that Coach W was taking on responsibility but a desire not to let their coach take full blame for a flat performance -- bottom line, it sounds like there is a great relationship between Coach W and his defensive unit. Of course the HC is ultimately captain of the ship and the "L" goes on his career record, but this was a more granular discussion of whether there were, or were not, in-game adjustments or differing strategies tried. (Also, I think the participation on this forum of current team parents is to be encouraged -- if we say that their commentary is throwing somebody under the bus the participation will dry up.)

With all that said, I like your olfactory prediction. Go Navy, beat Loyola.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Well said Orfling....spot on.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
LadyLaker

Post by LadyLaker »

Sooo LL thanks for playing and see you never.

BTW- hope you weren’t friends with the group of 6 fathers who sat and yelled at the referees and Navy Bench the whole game. Oh and do your coaches (the Princeton coaches) ever not complain?
No I sat between the 2 benches and saw no Princeton people behind the Navy bench - they were all in blue & gold. I am a ref so I never yell at refs and anyone who sits with me knows to zip it when it comes to criticizing
The stripes. I did hear one Princeton father yelling abt the refs being homers, which made me laugh bc he obviously has zero clue abt how collegiate lax is assigned, but he wasn’t sitting among 6 men.

I trust your son but clearly the adjustments failed bc nothing seem to be working except Sowers seemed to pull short stick more often in the 2nd half. That’s an adjustment but not sure it’s a wise one. If Wellner did apologize (& I have no reason to doubt he did) then I give him high marks for doing it. So he overcoached the D to allow point blank shot after point blank shot? Interesting strategy.

And I hope I do see you sometime bc you name implies you enjoy healthy debate.

LL
old salt

Post by old salt »

Regarding remaining out of conference Quality Win opportunities, there's still Syracuse visiting NMCMS on Apr 20 (Navy's PL bye wk) which could have a big impact on at-large chances.

It's great to have forum input from those close to the team.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

LadyLaker wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:53 pm
I trust your son but clearly the adjustments failed bc nothing seem to be working except Sowers seemed to pull short stick more often in the 2nd half. That’s an adjustment but not sure it’s a wise one. If Wellner did apologize (& I have no reason to doubt he did) then I give him high marks for doing it. So he overcoached the D to allow point blank shot after point blank shot? Interesting strategy.
Please say what you really mean so we can discuss it....are you blaming coach or the players? If coach, what should have been done differently, if the players, who should have been where and done what?
~Livy
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

By NO means was I taking a shot at Coach Wellner nor trying to throw him under the bus, quite the opposite. My son loves playing for him and from the sounds of it, so do the other guys. He Owned the initial defensive strategy and the adjustments were just too late. He stood up and accepted blame. This group has chemistry. They show there warts during games but are grinding away and learning as they go. Now there are head scratchers for sure but I like what I see. They are sticking together. I would also echo what “T” said, he has recruited very well and is genuinely a great person. This team has what it takes. They just need to click at the same time. I for one see improvement and I’m expecting an upset this weekend. One game at a time.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:56 pm Well said Orfling....spot on.
agreed.
back to your regularly scheduled programming...
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Yuge game this week in the PL.
Navy vs Loyola.
Navy may be getting Loyola at the right time of the season. The Hounds have been struggling to find their identity defensively the past 3 games. Struggled a tad at faceoffs. Should be a competitive, tough game.
Wishing good luck and health to both teams!
:D
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Tough outing for the Mids. Didn’t see that one coming. Spencer had himself a day.

Need to get well in conference. But it will be a tough row to hoe with Lehigh and an improved Holy Cross up next.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”