Yale
8%
Other
15%

Total votes: 97

wahoomurf

Re: Transfer Poll: Chris Gray - Open through June 14th

Post by wahoomurf »

Gray might be the first human to get Beatified before he's dead.Eager to see if he continues to put up huge #s with his next team.

There's an attackman named Louis Perfetto heading to BU in the fall.I watched Gray 3 times when he was in H.S. I watched Perfetto 6 times.This is of course my opinion.....I believe,at least at the H.S. level, Perfetto was a much better player than Gray.

Again,just my humble opinion.
random observer

Post by random observer »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:11 pm Gray might be the first human to get Beatified before he's dead.Eager to see if he continues to put up huge #s with his next team.

There's an attackman named Louis Perfetto heading to BU in the fall.I watched Gray 3 times when he was in H.S. I watched Perfetto 6 times.This is of course my opinion.....I believe,at least at the H.S. level, Perfetto was a much better player than Gray.

Again,just my humble opinion.
That's quite a take. I like Perfetto, but he's not close to being in the same class IMO.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

random observer wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:45 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:11 pm Gray might be the first human to get Beatified before he's dead.Eager to see if he continues to put up huge #s with his next team.

There's an attackman named Louis Perfetto heading to BU in the fall.I watched Gray 3 times when he was in H.S. I watched Perfetto 6 times. This is, of course, my opinion.....I believe, at least at the H.S. level, Perfetto was a much better player than Gray.

Again, just my humble opinion.
That's quite a take. I like Perfetto, but he's not close to being in the same class IMO.
Our opinions differ, likely based on our empirical observations. So be it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:42 pm Hmmm, this runs contrary to the Yale report. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ocus/54804
Great news. Looks like Johns Hopkins is in the Chris Gray Final Four! :)

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

This is when programs start to fall apart. TD at Yale was for multiple reasons. Just because a kid is supposedly a super star (against meh teams) is no reasons to take him on. Great way to piss off kids on the team and poison the water for future recruits. Shame on the coach who takes him. Bad for the sport.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

seriously? wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:27 pm This is when programs start to fall apart. TD at Yale was for multiple reasons. Just because a kid is supposedly a super star (against meh teams) is no reasons to take him on. Great way to tick off kids on the team and poison the water for future recruits. Shame on the coach who takes him. Bad for the sport.
I hope Gray ends up at Yale. Why not? Good player. Like TD he has earned the right to transfer in to better his educational opportunity.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

But doesn't this take poaching to a whole new level? What about the BU coach? Isn't this a slippery slope?
calourie

Post by calourie »

I don't consider a player entering the transfer portal and wanting to go elsewhere poaching in any degree unless the coach of a team to which the players is thinking of going has contacted the player in advance. Players have the right to consider their academic, lacrosse, and career futures as they so choose should they have the goods to make it happen. The poaching of recruits is a different matter in that many of the players often have contact with various coaches before they sign their letters of intent. Expecting all the 18 year olds who sign a LOI to be secure in their life choices is a stretch, and I think if a young man still has the opportunity to switch to a college providing recognizably greater academic advancement than his initial choice he would be a fool not to take that step. Honoring a lacrosse commitment is one thing, accepting an opportunity for a more comprehensive education is another. Apples to Oranges comparison but life is like that a lot.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

seriously? wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:27 pm This is when programs start to fall apart. Bad for the sport.
Agree 100%. Every player knows his "replacement" is being recruited every year. Thats an accepted given. Its quite another to be actively courting those players who are looking to "better deal" via the transfer process.

I respect a player's right to want to better his situation, but it does upset team chemistry, and undermines players' confidence in the coaching staff.
Typical Lax Dad

calourie wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:36 pm I don't consider a player entering the transfer portal and wanting to go elsewhere poaching in any degree unless the coach of a team to which the players is thinking of going has contacted the player in advance. Players have the right to consider their academic, lacrosse, and career futures as they so choose should they have the goods to make it happen. The poaching of recruits is a different matter in that many of the players often have contact with various coaches before they sign their letters of intent. Expecting all the 18 year olds who sign a LOI to be secure in their life choices is a stretch, and I think if a young man still has the opportunity to switch to a college providing recognizably greater academic advancement than his initial choice he would be a fool not to take that step. Honoring a lacrosse commitment is one thing, accepting an opportunity for a more comprehensive education is another. Apples to Oranges comparison but life is like that a lot.
Two years is more "comprehensive"? Instead of academic advancement, you must mean "post graduate career advancement"....
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

If you take the reporting at face value it sounds like Gray has visited and applied to the New Haven Institute of Sport. Seems like Shay and company want him and are willing to move Brandau to midfield and make their recruits wait to play to do it. Trips to Duke, UNC and JHU this week to determine where else to apply. If academic ambitions are the motivation then UNC is his back up plan. If he is admitted to Yale then he may simply matriculate there unless he falls in love with Duke or JHU. In any case, whichever of these three/four he goes to (assuming the reporting is correct) is going to have some serious recruited talent ride the pine the next 2 years which may lead to another transfer...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The only thing specific to Shay that might merit discussion is that my understanding is that he would actively tell
Kids to make commitments, understanding their non binding to other colleges with the plan of them going to Yale if things planned out academically and athletically. This was during early recruiting. I have this on very, very good info. He may not be the only coach who was doing that but it’s a bit distasteful and if you compound that with taking the two best transfers in a long long one at a school with a 10% or lower acceptance rate, it starts to build a story. That’s all.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:51 pm
seriously? wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:27 pm This is when programs start to fall apart. TD at Yale was for multiple reasons. Just because a kid is supposedly a super star (against meh teams) is no reasons to take him on. Great way to tick off kids on the team and poison the water for future recruits. Shame on the coach who takes him. Bad for the sport.
I hope Gray ends up at Yale. Why not? Good player. Like TD he has earned the right to transfer in to better his educational opportunity.
I rarely disagree with you, but I am going to split hairs with you on this one a bit, because I think the "seeking better academic opportunity" is a bit of a red herring. I won't get into details or besmirch a kid because he wants to attend a more prestigious university and no doubt Yale or any Ivy school is more prestigious than Albany or BU. I'll just say that there was a lot more to the Albany to Yale transfer and leave it at that.

What I don't think is true, and I know plenty of Ivy and ACC lacrosse grads who could be doing the same thing today if they had gone to the worst academic school that offers men's lacrosse, is that the only road to success is by obtaining the best sheepskin you can (and I know you are not saying that.) I think the beauty of lacrosse and sports in general is that it does give the opportunity to get into a school that otherwise someone could not. I don't have a problem with that at all, and as parents we should hope that our kids push themselves to be the best they can be. I know more successful people who graduated from ordinary schools than Ivy's or ACC's and I have had the opportunity to work on Wall St and in Silicon Valley so I think I have a pretty good view of the landscape.

I don't know the answer to this, but how many Ivy graduates still feel the need to obtain a graduate degree? I bet it is a lot.

Just about every state school, Albany included have schools within the schools, usually Honor colleges. Why didn't athlete A or B do that? I know for a fact there are Div I athletes in the Albany Honor's College, and those kids get pushed really hard.

Two years at Albany or BU to an Ivy isn't going to create some sort of mythical transformation. An Albany grad who recently sold his company to Goldman Sachs donated $1mm to the Albany athletic department. I would be willing to wager if TD's goal is to work on Wall St this donor and there are others who have hit home runs in the financial community who are actively involved in supporting the lacrosse team, would have hand carried him to any firm he wanted. The Albany lacrosse players who wanted to work on Wall St all had jobs prior to graduation at good firms, and I know that BU also has a very solid business programs and deep ties to the financial firms in Boston.

I will say that at Albany in particular, the academic chops of team are very, very diverse. You have some kids who are just happy to be there, and some who are very studious. So without a doubt TD or Gray will be around more Alpha academic types at an Ivy and there is something to be said for that.

Rant over......
Last edited by DaneFan on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Typical Lax Dad

DaneFan wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:42 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:51 pm
I rarely disagree with you, but I am going to split hairs with you on this one a bit, because I think the "seeking better academic opportunity" is a bit of a red herring. I won't get into details or besmirch a kid because he wants to attend a more prestigious university and no doubt Yale or any Ivy school is more prestigious than Albany or BU. I'll just say that there was a lot more to the Albany to Yale transfer and leave it at that.

What I don't think is true, and I know plenty of Ivy and ACC lacrosse grads who could be doing the same thing today if they had gone to the worst academic school that offers men's lacrosse, is that the only road to success is by obtaining the best sheepskin you can (and I know you are not saying that.) I think the beauty of lacrosse and sports in general is that it does give the opportunity to get into a school that otherwise someone could not. I don't have a problem with that at all, and as parents which should hope that our kids push themselves to be the best they can be. I know more successful people who graduated from ordinary schools than Ivy's or ACC's and I have had the opportunity to work on Wall St and in Silicon Valley so I think I have a pretty good view of the landscape.

I don't know the answer to this, but how many Ivy graduates still feel the need to obtain a graduate degree? I bet it is a lot.

Just about every state school, Albany included have schools within the schools, usually Honor colleges. Why didn't athlete A or B do that? I know for a fact there are Div I athletes in the Albany Honor's College, and those kids get pushed really hard.

Two years at Albany or BU to an Ivy isn't going to create some sort of mythical transformation. An Albany grad who recently sold his company to Goldman Sachs donated $1mm to the Albany athletic department. I would be willing to wager if TD's goal is to work on Wall St this donor and there are others who have hit home runs in the financial community who are actively involved in supporting the lacrosse team, would have hand carried him to any firm he wanted. The Albany lacrosse players who wanted to work on Wall St all had jobs prior to graduation at good firms, and I know that BU also has a very solid business programs and deep ties to the financial firms in Boston.

I will say that at Albany in particular, the academic chops of team is very, very diverse. You have some kids who are just happy to be there, and some who are very studious. So without a doubt TD or Gray will be around more Alpha academic types at an Ivy and there is something to be said for that.

Rant over......
There was no sarcasm font for my post.... ;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

DaneFan wrote
Agree with this. Initially TD's transfer was all about the Ivy education (according to many) but that's not what I heard in one of his interviews, it was all about wanting to win a national championship. I'd bet he just didn't like it at Albany anymore for whatever reasons. LeBron meet TD.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

The only offer Rob Pannell received was from Quinnipiac. He wound up at Cornell. :?: ;) :roll: Has he achieved Sainthood yet?
Typical Lax Dad

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:05 am The only offer Rob Pannell received was from Quinnipiac. He wound up at Cornell. :?: ;) :roll: Has he achieved Sainthood yet?
Man Pannell was terrific. But not for a knowledgeable uncle, he may have matriculated to Quinnipiac. How he slipped through the cracks is beyond me. It’s not like he was from Kansas. I never had a chance to see him in high school.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:04 am
DaneFan wrote
Agree with this. Initially TD's transfer was all about the Ivy education (according to many) but that's not what I heard in one of his interviews, it was all about wanting to win a national championship. I'd bet he just didn't like it at Albany anymore for whatever reasons. LeBron meet TD.
You know if any of these players applied to Lafayette? Excellent school.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Some of the terminology in this thread is sacrilegious.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Any word on how Chris Gray’s visit to Hopkins went? Has he canceled his visits to Duke, UNC, and Virginia yet?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”