Yale
8%
Other
15%

Total votes: 97

thetruth

Re: Transfer Poll: Chris Gray - Open through June 14th

Post by thetruth »

From a coach's perspective, whoever is recruiting Gray needs to be prepared to accept his style. He is someone who plays best with the ball in his stick. He's a great facilitator but also a volume shooter rather than a high percentage shooter. Over his career he has averaged 9 shots per game while shooting 26.7%. That isn't going to be for everyone. For example, Duke tends to have some pretty efficient attackmen. Guterding shot nearly 50% as a senior while taking 6.5 shots per game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

While questions of team chemistry and playing style are certainly nontrivial, a talent like Gray should be able to fit on pretty much any team, especially ones with coaches as good as Danowski. They'd make it work. An offensive facilitator who has the ball in his stick is exactly what they could use right now after losing Justin Guterding. Robertson is great but he's more of a finisher. I think Carpenter is returning for a redshirt year but I don't think he's the answer. Gray would have 80 assists for Duke.

That said, I'd love to have him on Hopkins but we already have Epstein quarterbacking the offense for the next three years. It would be a little weird at first but I believe both players would adapt. Even if the attack was not the problem, I'm not sure a team that was 8-8 should be in the business of turning away someone as good as Gray. Great coaches change their style to fit the players they have.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:22 pm While questions of team chemistry and playing style are certainly nontrivial, a talent like Gray should be able to fit on pretty much any team, especially ones with coaches as good as Danowski. They'd make it work. An offensive facilitator who has the ball in his stick is exactly what they could use right now after losing Justin Guterding. Robertson is great but he's more of a finisher. I think Carpenter is returning for a redshirt year but I don't think he's the answer. Gray would have 80 assists for Duke.

That said, I'd love to have him on Hopkins but we already have Epstein quarterbacking the offense for the next three years. It would be a little weird at first but I believe both players would adapt. Even if the attack was not the problem, I'm not sure a team that was 8-8 should be in the business of turning away someone as good as Gray. Great coaches change their style to fit the players they have.
Duke would be a great landing spot for Gray. If I were betting, I would put my money on Duke. LI South in many ways. LI lax clubs have a good pipeline straight to Durham.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:22 pm Gray would have 80 assists for Duke.
Let's not get carried away. Crotty holds the Duke record with 63 assists over 20 games in 2010. Guterding's most assists in a season were 47 also over 20 games in 2018. That was the most since Crotty who was a 2 time 1st team AA that won the Tewy and was recruited by Pressler.
Gray is an excellent player, but he's not Ned Crotty.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

thetruth wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Let's not get carried away. Crotty holds the Duke record with 63 assists over 20 games in 2010. Guterding's most assists in a season were 47 also over 20 games in 2018. That was the most since Crotty who was a 2 time 1st team AA that won the Tewy and was recruited by Pressler.
Duke does not play close to the same schedule as BU. When Gray played in the final game of the 2018 season vs Duke he had zero points.... 12 shots, 3 on cage. 37 SOS in 2019, 23 in 2018.

What Gray could do for another team is add value to draw another top pole, causing defensive stress for the opposition. He goes to Duke, his numbers plummet.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 pm
thetruth wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:57 pm
Duke does not play close to the same schedule as BU. When Gray played in the final game of the 2018 season vs Duke he had zero points.... 12 shots, 3 on cage. 37 SOS in 2019, 23 in 2018.

What Gray could do for another team is add value to draw another top pole, causing defensive stress for the opposition. He goes to Duke, his numbers plummet.
Chris Gray’s numbers won’t plummet. He is good for 70 points in that system. Mathies was 50 points in his sleep there.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 pm Mathies was 50 points in his sleep there.
What does that even mean?... Gray would not put up the numbers at Duke that he put up at BU this year. Schedule is harder and there are a lot of guys that need/want touches on the offensive side at Duke. They will not defer to him (because they won’t need to) like his teammates did at BU. They also run a lot of their offense through the midfield. He won’t be the QB in the same way he is at BU. He’s an excellent lacrosse player and Duke is a fantastic school with a strong lacrosse program, but it’s probably not the best fit if he wants to put up big numbers and win a Tewy... But he also may not care about that. Also Duke doesn’t need him to contend for a national championship next year.
Typical Lax Dad

thetruth wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 pm Mathies was 50 points in his sleep there.
What does that even mean?... Gray would not put up the numbers at Duke that he put up at BU this year. Schedule is harder and there are a lot of guys that need/want touches on the offensive side at Duke. They will not defer to him (because they won’t need to) like his teammates did at BU. They also run a lot of their offense through the midfield. He won’t be the QB in the same way he is at BU. He’s an excellent lacrosse player and Duke is a fantastic school with a strong lacrosse program, but it’s probably not the best fit if he wants to put up big numbers and win a Tewy... But he also may not care about that. Also Duke doesn’t need him to contend for a national championship next year.
He would pile up assists and score goals. He would score 70 points there. Particularly if he plays 20 games. How much have you seen him play? He is an x attackman. Probably the most underrated in the country. Case scored 50 points and it looked easy. Not many people noticed he had 50 point seasons. With the offensive players around him, Gray might get 50 assists....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

My point TLD was he is no Guterding and going from 110 to 70 is plummeting in my book, but still a good year. Guterding was racking up points vs top 10 opponents, Gray is not...which is why I referenced CG's 0 points vs Duke in 2018.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:09 pm My point TLD was he is no Guterding and going from 110 to 70 is plummeting in my book, but still a good year. Guterding was racking up points vs top 10 opponents, Gray is not...which is why I referenced CG's 0 points vs Duke in 2018.
Better feeder. Not the goal scorer. If I am any team in the country, I would sign up for 70-80 points. 0 points? Gray can't pass it to himself.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:12 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:09 pm My point TLD was he is no Guterding and going from 110 to 70 is plummeting in my book, but still a good year. Guterding was racking up points vs top 10 opponents, Gray is not...which is why I referenced CG's 0 points vs Duke in 2018.
Better feeder. Not the goal scorer. If I am any team in the country, I would sign up for 70-80 points. 0 points? Gray can't pass it to himself.

What am I missing? I read Chris Gray was looking to transfer from BU for academic reasons??
Typical Lax Dad

reLAX wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:20 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:12 pm

What am I missing? I read Chris Gray was looking to transfer from BU for academic reasons??

That's what I read....and since it was on the World Wide Web, it must be true... ;)
random observer

Post by random observer »

Sure, let's use one game (from last year) to make broad statements about one of the best players in the nation. Why not look at him this year vs. ranked opponents: Chris Gray vs. OSU (1,4), Chris Gray vs. that nasty Army defense (2,4), Chris Gray vs. Loyola (4,4). If he ends up at Duke he is going to light it up. He is a very different player than Guterding but very much his equal overall. He's the real deal: the list of guys who have lead LI in scoring more than once in their high school careers is extremely short. The list of guys who went from no-names to consensus top 10 recruits despite not committing to a name brand program is even shorter.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

:lol:
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

random observer wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:30 pm
Sure, let's use one game (from last year) to make broad statements about one of the best players in the nation. Why not look at him this year vs. ranked opponents: Chris Gray vs. OSU (1,4), Chris Gray vs. that nasty Army defense (2,4), Chris Gray vs. Loyola (4,4). If he ends up at Duke he is going to light it up. He is a very different player than Guterding but very much his equal overall. He's the real deal: the list of guys who have lead LI in scoring more than once in their high school careers is extremely short. The list of guys who went from no-names to consensus top 10 recruits despite not committing to a name brand program is even shorter.
You know of what you speak!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

No doubt he is a good player. I have admitted that. My point, let’s not set too high expectations for the young man and comparing him to point counts like Guterding numbers before it’s time, based on SOS from current team.

Duke seems to do the best in cultivating and extracting talent out of their guys like few others.....real teachers of the game. 110 points to 70 (if Duke is his landing spot) is a lofty goal but achievable.

Again, the intent was not to discount his talent but to put in a more realistic realm.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:23 pm
No doubt he is a good player. I have admitted that. My point, let’s not set too high expectations for the young man and comparing him to point counts like Guterding numbers before it’s time, based on SOS from current team.

Duke seems to do the best in cultivating and extracting talent out of their guys like few others.....real teachers of the game. 110 points to 70 (if Duke is his landing spot) is a lofty goal but achievable.

Again, the intent was not to discount his talent but to put in a more realistic realm.
I wasn’t thinking about 100 points....70-80 is good enough. Terrific player. He is going to get his teammates easy looks.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

As discussed on other forums, a reporter for the New Haven Register is reporting that Chris Gray has submitted his application for admission to Yale. Yale is turning into IMG....
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Hmmm, this runs contrary to the Yale report. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ocus/54804
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

This appears to be the source of the Yale speculation: https://www.pressreader.com/usa/the-nor ... 0443793085

A New Haven Register reporter cited at the very end of a Norwalk Hour story... and I can't find anything else on-line. I dunknow.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”