2019 Tewaaraton Finalists

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: 2019 Tewaaraton Finalists

Post by youthathletics »

Because the essence of the award has been ruined by people too concerned about offensive points.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

rasheed wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:53 pm Who’s a better all-around player than Ryan Conrad? Why isn’t he a finalist? Does any D1 midfielder come close in ground-balls, goals and assists combined? Today he had 5 goals and 7 ground balls. Matt Moore had 2 goals and 7 assists. I think Dox had 2 goals and Kraus had 6 points
I guess Robert Morris is a decent team, but it seems a little strange to be bragging over numbers against them. ;)
Live Free or Die!
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

Lol. Ok cooter. Pick any game this season and I’ll brag all day long on Ryan Conrad.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

rasheed wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:53 pm Who’s a better all-around player than Ryan Conrad? Why isn’t he a finalist? Does any D1 midfielder come close in ground-balls, goals and assists combined? Today he had 5 goals and 7 ground balls. Matt Moore had 2 goals and 7 assists. I think Dox had 2 goals and Kraus had 6 points
Because after you pick up the ground ball a lot has to happen for your team to score and win the game. If Conrad was a slightly better offensive midfielder (including today he isn't at 2 goals or 3 points per game) or a true defensive middie (he really only plays offense and faceoff wings this year) he may have a case for first team AA. But as great as doing the little things is Conrad's skills are not looked at the same way if Moore, Kraus, Laviano and Aitken aren't there to take advantage. For me he's a lower team AA but Tewaaraton talk is kind of outrageous.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:09 am
Because after you pick up the ground ball a lot has to happen for your team to score and win the game. If Conrad was a slightly better offensive midfielder (including today he isn't at 2 goals or 3 points per game) or a true defensive middie (he really only plays offense and faceoff wings this year) he may have a case for first team AA. But as great as doing the little things is Conrad's skills are not looked at the same way if Moore, Kraus, Laviano and Aitken aren't there to take advantage. For me he's a lower team AA but Tewaaraton talk is kind of outrageous.
Ground balls aren't "little things" (no other middie comes close) and I'd take him over any middie in the country. But I'm sure the ACC Tourney MVP appreciates how highly you respect his game.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Do the Tewy voters look at gbs too?
Spencer had 7 gbs today against Syracuse.
Is that good?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

hell yea!
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

I thought the Tewey was for the best player? Not simply the best offensive player.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

rasheed wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:06 am I thought the Tewey was for the best player? Not simply the best offensive player.
Agreed - from the Website: The Tewaaraton Award is given annually to the most outstanding American college lacrosse player. Ask Spencer to go over the midfield line on a ride next week. He'd likely do just fine, but to always pick an attackman is getting quite played out. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:20 am
rasheed wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:06 am I thought the Tewey was for the best player? Not simply the best offensive player.
Agreed - from the Website: The Tewaaraton Award is given annually to the most outstanding American college lacrosse player. Ask Spencer to go over the midfield line on a ride next week. He'd likely do just fine, but to always pick an attackman is getting quite played out. ;)

Spencer won the award yesterday. We can argue all day long about whatever metrics you wish, but the bottom line is, Spencer has that x factor which makes for a Tewey. Yet again he was on SportsCenter Top 10. He willed his team to a win against an opponent that was clearly favored (a lot of us Hounds' fans thought Cuse would win). Lebron's defensive skills are awful but rarely does anyone mention that when debating who was the GOAT, Jordan or Lebron. With Spencer or any other offensive player, it's easy to say they aren't multi-dimensional, but really we just don't know. That is not what they are asked to do. They are asked to score. And Spencer is now the #2 all time scorer in NCAA Dicison 1 lacrosse. IT's hard to argue with the evidence.

I thought had the HOunds lost yesterday, and assuming Pat had a quiet stats game, Ament had an argument. That discussion ended fast.

Conrad is an amazing player, and he does many incredible things that often get overlooked when discussing the Hoos. So many of his GBs come at critical times, or they lead to critical goals. UVA has so many offensive weapons, I think it's been easier for Conrad to step into a role where he didn't have to be the offensive superstar.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

rasheed wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:33 am
Ground balls aren't "little things" (no other middie comes close) and I'd take him over any middie in the country. But I'm sure the ACC Tourney MVP appreciates how highly you respect his game.
Again all the GBs in the world mean 0 if someone doesn't put the ball in the net. It's honestly why I don't think FOGOs have much of a case either although at a certain level, which Ierlan may have reached, they do become game changing.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Anyone counting what Ament did today against UMBC, as opposed to what Spencer did to Mellen? Spencer may have topped Thompson against that crew.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Spencer did that against an All American, Mellon.

Holy schnikes!
Homewood15

Post by Homewood15 »

Regardless of the outcome of the Loyola/Penn St. game the Tewaaraton should be Spencer's. His ability to straight up dominate games and pick apart opposing defenses is so impressive. He is Steele Stanwick with Paul Rabil-like size. If the award is supposed to go to the best lacrosse player in the country it should be his. He will go down as one of the best of all time
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I thought Ament should receive the Tewaaraton because his team is better, but on 2nd thought, it is going to go to Spencer because he is a Senior & Ament will have another year to compete for it. Spencer was awesome against Mellen, 9 points.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:56 am
Again all the GBs in the world mean 0 if someone doesn't put the ball in the net. It's honestly why I don't think FOGOs have much of a case either although at a certain level, which Ierlan may have reached, they do become game changing.
And if you don’t have possession you can’t score. Conrad does both. And plays D.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

rasheed wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:08 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:56 am
And if you don’t have possession you can’t score. Conrad does both. And plays D.
He doesn't play D currently. At least not on purpose. Despite that he was second team AA which is about what I said he should be. That's really good but a long way from top 5 player in the country.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Conrad's ground ball total does get the benefit of his playing on the wings on FOs, which most other offensive midfielders don't.

Overall, UVa's frenetic style leads to a lot more ground balls.
UMD's total ground balls: 457
UVA's total ground balls: 711
Maryland's Attack: Bernhardt 20, Wisnauskas 18, Dubick 19
Virginia's Attack: Moore 40, Kraus 37, Laviano 41

Maryland's top midfielder: Puglise 44
Virginia's top midfielder: Conrad 79
Total FOs Maryland: 429 in 16 games
Total FOs Virgina 463 in 17 games

I actually think Bubba Fairman's total of 21 gbs is pretty good for an offensive midfielder, who doesn't play on the face-off wings.
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cooter wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm Conrad's ground ball total does get the benefit of his playing on the wings on FOs, which most other offensive midfielders don't.

Overall, UVa's frenetic style leads to a lot more ground balls.
UMD's total ground balls: 457
UVA's total ground balls: 711
Maryland's Attack: Bernhardt 20, Wisnauskas 18, Dubick 19
Virginia's Attack: Moore 40, Kraus 37, Laviano 41

Maryland's top midfielder: Puglise 44
Virginia's top midfielder: Conrad 79
Total FOs Maryland: 429 in 16 games
Total FOs Virgina 463 in 17 games

I actually think Bubba Fairman's total of 21 gbs is pretty good for an offensive midfielder, who doesn't play on the face-off wings.
That’s a good number for Fairman, particularly when you consider style of play.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

laxfan1313 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:40 am I thought Ament should receive the Tewaaraton because his team is better, but on 2nd thought, it is going to go to Spencer because he is a Senior & Ament will have another year to compete for it. Spencer was awesome against Mellen, 9 points.
Spencer is the best player in lacrosse...class or team record is moot. Spencer would be my first pick if I where fielding a team. I am quite sure he could play anywhere on the field, except keeper. Not many other winners could make that claim.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”