2019 Tewaaraton Finalists

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hawkeye

2019 Tewaaraton Finalists

Post by Hawkeye »

Ament, Bernhardt, Ierlan, Sowers, Spencer

Predictions on who wins? Four juniors and one senior (Spencer)
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
FannOLax

Re: 2019 Tewaaraton Finalists

Post by FannOLax »

Hawkeye wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 pm Ament, Bernhardt, Ierlan, Sowers, Spencer

Well, if Cuse knocks out Loyola this weekend with Spencer having a quiet game, that will probably eliminate the one senior. Were I forced to put money on one, it would be Ament... but if Yale beats Penn State with Ierlan as dominant as he was against PSU in New Haven, that would have to raise the question, "Can a FOGO ever win this award?" Sowers may well deserve the award, but I'm not sure a junior on a team with Princeton's record would get his due consideration.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

There always seems to be a little bit of "time in grade" with this award. So, a three time nominee with a 100 point season has a real edge in the process. Personally, I think that it's Spencer's to lose. A "quiet" game in a loss could be a negative factor. Personally, I think that Ament has had an amazing year as a player.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

FannOLax wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:32 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 pm Ament, Bernhardt, Ierlan, Sowers, Spencer

Well, if Cuse knocks out Loyola this weekend with Spencer having a quiet game, that will probably eliminate the one senior. Were I forced to put money on one, it would be Ament... but if Yale beats Penn State with Ierlan as dominant as he was against PSU in New Haven, that would have to raise the question, "Can a FOGO ever win this award?" Sowers may well deserve the award, but I'm not sure a junior on a team with Princeton's record would get his due consideration.
All good points...

Lose Bernhardt on the list, that's obvious, IMO.

Considering Princeton history, Sowers had a truly awesome year. My pick ;)

Wonder who Ryan Boyle would pick?
Last edited by tech37 on Thu May 09, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

FannOLax wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:32 pmSowers may well deserve the award, but I'm not sure a junior on a team with Princeton's record would get his due consideration.
All the more reason his accomplishment is amazing.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Think its either Ament or Spencer. Probably latter being a sr
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Both great players, but someone has to reach. Clearly, PSU has not done this. Possibly, this year.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No brainer on this one.

Spencer’s body of work the previous 3 years AND this season has been ridiculous. Hands down the best. To not give him a tewy would be a crime.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Leaving Gray off is inexcusable. Ierlan winning over Ament or Spencer would be ridiculous. The women's award is permanently tainted by Ohlmiller never winning. Hopefully the men's award can make smart decisions so that doesn't happen.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I would think Spencer is the frontrunner. However, if Ament goes wild in the tournament (e.g., 25 points or more) and Penn State wins it all, I can see Ament getting the nod.

Congratulations to all the finalists!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

TheBigIguana wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:36 am Leaving Gray off is inexcusable. Ierlan winning over Ament or Spencer would be ridiculous. The women's award is permanently tainted by Ohlmiller never winning. Hopefully the men's award can make smart decisions so that doesn't happen.
There was talk last year that Reeves got the award because he was a Senior and Spencer “had another year.”

If Spencer doesn’t win, the award loses all credibility. He’s a generational player like the Gaits, Grant Jr. etc.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

thatsmell wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 am
There was talk last year that Reeves got the award because he was a Senior and Spencer “had another year.”

If Spencer doesn’t win, the award loses all credibility. He’s a generational player like the Gaits, Grant Jr. etc.
Agreed. If they want to make it a career accomplishment award and typically give it to the best senior; that's fine. If they want to make it an award for the best player that single season, regardless of their class; that's also fine. But be consistent.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:36 am Leaving Gray off is inexcusable. Ierlan winning over Ament or Spencer would be ridiculous. The women's award is permanently tainted by Ohlmiller never winning. Hopefully the men's award can make smart decisions so that doesn't happen.

The Gaits took their teams to National Championships. Generational players are more than stats, they elevate whole teams around them, often to the 'Ship.

I'm a huge Pat Spencer fan and believe he is indeed the #1 player in the country talent-wise, but his last five games have been uninspiring (the in-season Army game could be the exception if you want to say so, but even that game was not 'Spencer-like'). I've seen each one. He dumps the ball off as fast as he touches it. My belief is he is hurt, and Toomey isn't advertising it, using Pat to draw more defenders than necessary.

As important to Loyola is their keeper, Stover, who has played consistently great all year with no letups. So, let me end by saying this: the Hounds next year could in theory be better than this year, with one exception: goalie. I believe they will actually flourish even more on offense with the returning nucleus plus a few great recruits.

I love Spencer like any Hounds fan, but this post-season decides who gets the award, and for Spencer, he has to at least get his team into the Final Four. Without that, I do not think he is the Teewy winner this year, I think Ament is, because you have to assume PSU gets to the Final Four, not Loyola.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Maybe there was talk, but last year Reeves had 62 goals, 53 assists and was the sole captain of the team that won the national championship. Whatever he'd done earlier in his career, he earned it on last year's performance alone.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Hawkeye wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:39 am

If they want to make it a career accomplishment award and typically give it to the best senior; that's fine. If they want to make it an award for the best player that single season, regardless of their class; that's also fine. But be consistent.
Agreed...and can make the case about who won it last year if it is based on body of work. I believe Baptiste got the short end of the stick last year. his career "Pioneer(ed)" the era of FOGO's in men's lacrosse, even to a national championship. I think the committee handcuffed themselves by not selecting him last year. Which begs the question....how in the heck can they now pick TD?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 am

The Gaits took their teams to National Championships. Generational players are more than stats, they elevate whole teams around them, often to the 'Ship.
The Gaits did take their team to the Ship. And there were two of them. What are your thoughts on John Grant Jr?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
tech37

Post by tech37 »

thatsmell wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:36 am

The Gaits did take their team to the Ship. And there were two of them. What are your thoughts on John Grant Jr?
Needless to say, the Gaits were great but those SU teams had excellent players at every position. Did Grant Jr. have same supporting cast?
DMac

Post by DMac »

There are actually quite a number of T Award winners who never won a NC.
Thompsons, Baum, Pannell, Seibald come to mind off the top of my head.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:36 am

Grant Jr had a stunning senior year. The difference between his Delaware squad and this version of Loyola is Loyola has legitimate talent all over the field. Grant seemed to have to carry his team.

Pat could've sewn this award up had he not disappeared the last 5 games. My personal hunch is you will learn after the season ends that he was playing injured; there's just no way he would willingly dump the ball as soon as he touched it as he has the last five games. And that (injury) too should probably play some role in this decision.

My problem saying Pat deserves the Teewy regardless if Cuse blows them out tomorrow is I feel a great case for the award is playoff performance. Ament will likely have a great case if PSU wins or even makes the FF. Same for Pat. Now, if Loyola loses to Cuse and PSU to UMBC, both stars dim and probably Pat gets it by default. One is likely, the other not.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DMac wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:49 am There are actually quite a number of T Award winners who never won a NC.
Thompsons, Baum, Pannell, Seibald come to mind off the top of my head.

I don't know all the records, but didn't all of them except Baum get their team to at least the Final Four? And in Baum's year, I think he benefited somewhat by there being a lack of a breakout star on a better record team?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”