Just a Draft Thought

2018 Draft and Rosters
Ocanada

Re: Just a Draft Thought

Post by Ocanada »

I dont follow HS lax anymore either.

There needs to be risk. Losing a draft pick for every player you draft early is one. I would add once you draft you must keep him until the add/drop after our league draft. There should be no situation where there is no risk to the drafter.

We could eliminate teams to make room for new teams. If so I would suggest UMBC and FF as two likely teams to drop.

To add I would suggest not adding a team that has an scorer totaling more than X points on the roster. It really skews the draft with a huge advantage to whoever drafts first.

I think a vote is the way to go.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcoming OCanada to the party:

And... Agreed to all of the above.
Ocanada

Post by Ocanada »

Thanks for the shout out.

I went to high school on the American side of the Canadian USA border right on the Niagara River gorge. The most dangerous river to kayak or raft if you are into it. I think only one or two permits have ever been issued for it. None had been when I graduated HS.

Our sports teams mostly played Canadian teams with a sprinkling of American teams mixed in. We played Canadian football (rouge) ! We played Canadian hockey teams etc . We had fights with Canadians. We would sometimes date Canadian girls. Our travel schedule would take us to Toronto or St Catherine’s or once Montreal where I can remember my NHL game at the Forum.

Many years ago on LaxPower there was a segment of posters with an anti Canadian slantvtgey were expressing sonto show some support for guys I used to play against, fight with and other friends I changed my name on LaxPower.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

what was your old name?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ohmi, your boy is good.

nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

At what point will we make a decision what teams are being drop/added for the next year? If we are going to start the draft this summer as was a suggestion, we should probably decide this during this season.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed. Let's do it during Week Six. Mid-(Regular plus Play-offs) Season.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

VIA A FANLAX Coach:

I think Albany and maybe somebody else are more more relevant to our game than Fairfield and UMass and Hobart.

Other idea: I think we should redo the way we draft, with linear drafting instead of the winner of the previous season getting 2 good players at the end of the first and the beginning of the second round. I’d rather see it done the way the NFL does it: 1-32 and then 33-64, etc. so that bad teams get better picks and we create more parity...just a thought.
Caddy Day
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

I say dump Fairfield and Hobart. Add Albany and Villanova.
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

I Don't think we should do two teams at a time, i think one is enough per year, two could make massive changes, we definitely should add Albany next year as i feel once they lose fields they will become a 10-20 team but not so overly high scoring that getting one of their players would guarantee you a top spot, fields would change any team to a top 8 team. I think losing umass or fairfield makes sense, they've not done much in recent years, and just people get compensated for the players they lose like the previous years.

With when to draft, i think summer is a tad bit early, I recon December 1st post fall ball, 24 hours to draft would give plenty of time to draft most of the league pre-season. However i think then add/drops should be extended till Feb 1st (or day before first game if they become earlier) once the drfat is over to compensate for the early draft incase someones team becomes unplayable due to injuries and redshirts etc, it would be no fun having 5/6 players injured pre-season and would automatically put someone in last place. There has to be a back up for the early draft system.

I think the up and down draft is a fair system as it is and the league rotates round pretty easily due to graduations etc, not often someone wins multiple titles. And no matter what i wouldn't agree to high school players being draftable, it's a college lacrosse draft game not high school. It's a personal opinion but i just don't see it making the game any more fun whilst making it wayyyyy more complicated, and could create unfair advantages due to where you live etc.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

nclaxin wrote:I say dump Fairfield and Hobart. Add Albany and Villanova.
We already dumped Hobart.
Caddy Day
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Villanova would be an interesting team to add. We already have some big east teams and Villanova usually plays some good teams out of conference.

Albany is obviously one to consider, but whoever gets the first pick is going to get a major boost from Nanticoke. If we are bringing in new NCAA teams, that have superstar players like that, we should stick with an up and down draft for that year so the teams at the end of the first round are able to still get some good players.
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

Sorry....

Dump Fairfield and Umass

Add Albany and Villanova.

or

Dump Fairfield and add Albany
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

If Fairfield goes btw I expect a minimum round 2 extra pick for Beckwith, 2 years left and always gets a least a point of not more.
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

I am suggesting Umass and have Ben Spencer....so....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

We have a pre-stated system. If your player got X amount of points in the previous season, you get 2 picks in the Y round.
Caddy Day
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

Ben Spencer better get back to form soon! Guy has like 3 goals on 31 shots...
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

So any updated thoughts on this? teams added/dropped? When will the draft be?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Current plan is... No adds or drops of NCAA teams.

Start of the 2019 Draft. The short answer is TBD but I think October 1st.

The long answer is... The 2018 Draft, minus Adds and Drops, was 118 picks. Let's call it 120. And let's say there's 30 days in a month so... 4 months before the season starts. First game this season was on 2/1. First game by an FanLax-relevant NCAA team was on 2/3. And the first game-that-counted was on 2/16. So... I think we want to conclude the draft on January 31st. So counting backwards, with one pick per day, the draft would start on October 1st. Which, in 2019, will be a Tuesday which is good. Just another day. And, school would've started, players would be playing Fall Ball, most rosters would be posted (and, if not, it's OK. We'll all have the same advantages and disadvantage of the rosters not being up), etc.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

admin wrote:Current plan is... No adds or drops of NCAA teams.

Start of the 2019 Draft. The short answer is TBD but I think October 1st.

The long answer is... The 2018 Draft, minus Adds and Drops, was 118 picks. Let's call it 120. And let's say there's 30 days in a month so... 4 months before the season starts. First game this season was on 2/1. First game by an FanLax-relevant NCAA team was on 2/3. And the first game-that-counted was on 2/16. So... I think we want to conclude the draft on January 31st. So counting backwards, with one pick per day, the draft would start on October 1st. Which, in 2019, will be a Tuesday which is good. Just another day. And, school would've started, players would be playing Fall Ball, most rosters would be posted (and, if not, it's OK. We'll all have the same advantages and disadvantage of the rosters not being up), etc.
Why are we talking about a draft starting October 1, 2019? That's 18 months away. Do you mean October 1, 2018? That's a Monday.

I would be in favor of the draft as described above. I think it would be a neat change from what we've been doing.

Return to “2018 DRAFT AND ROSTERS”