Just a Draft Thought

2018 Draft and Rosters
admin
Site Admin

Re: Just a Draft Thought

Post by admin »

My mistake. October 1st, a Monday... for the 2019 season.

Ohmi, I agree. I think it'll be fun. Longer, more relaxed draft and three more months of discussing NCAA lacrosse. For, to be kind, unique people like us, this is good.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

admin wrote:My mistake. October 1st, a Monday... for the 2019 season.

Ohmi, I agree. I think it'll be fun. Longer, more relaxed draft and three more months of discussing NCAA lacrosse. For, to be kind, unique people like us, this is good.
Agreed. Also, one pick a day is a good pace. Every day I have something to look for. I'm sure some days will be slower and others will have multiple picks, but this keeps the draft from really slowing.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Matt/Admin,

With the rise of analytics in college lacrosse and some new stats being used to measure a players value, have you given any thought about adding a position for each Fanlax team and using a new stat as the measure for the player in that position? This metric from lacrossereference.com might be a place to look. https://lacrossereference.com/2018/04/0 ... tclaxpower
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

"adding a position for each Fanlax team and using a new stat as the measure for the player in that position?"...
What do you mean?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

admin wrote:"adding a position for each Fanlax team and using a new stat as the measure for the player in that position?"...
What do you mean?
Right now we draft attackmen and midfielders and 1 or 2 defenses. What if we could also draft a long stick and earn points for something besides goals and assists? GBs and CTs are available in box scores, but I'm thinking we could use a different stat. The website I linked to above has a stat to measure a player's value in a given game. That might be a good place to start.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What makes me nervous is, What if the box score doesn't have a stat. e.g. Turn-overs or whatever. I feel comfortable that they'll always have the Goals and Assists. That aside, Box scores typically capture Goals, Assists, Points (We already do this), Shots (whatever), Groundballs, Turnovers, Caused Turnovers, FOs, and Penalties (All meaningful). So GBs, TOs, CTs, FOs, and Pens. With Gs, As, and your Ds goals against, That is lacrosse. O players that score, D players that stop teams from scoring. i.e. Our fantasy league is less fantasy and more a mirror of the actual game. How do we do this with GBs, TOs, etc.

FO: Maybe your goal total is multiplied by your FO guys win % either above or below 50%. So you have a face-off guy who won exactly 50%. Your goal numbers stay the same. Your FO guy won 75%. Your goal total increases by 25% (75-50%). Maybe something like that.

GBs, TOs, CTs, and Pens. I need to think about those. Wadya think?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

admin wrote:What makes me nervous is, What if the box score doesn't have a stat. e.g. Turn-overs or whatever. I feel comfortable that they'll always have the Goals and Assists. That aside, Box scores typically capture Goals, Assists, Points (We already do this), Shots (whatever), Groundballs, Turnovers, Caused Turnovers, FOs, and Penalties (All meaningful). So GBs, TOs, CTs, FOs, and Pens. With Gs, As, and your Ds goals against, That is lacrosse. O players that score, D players that stop teams from scoring. i.e. Our fantasy league is less fantasy and more a mirror of the actual game. How do we do this with GBs, TOs, etc.

FO: Maybe your goal total is multiplied by your FO guys win % either above or below 50%. So you have a face-off guy who won exactly 50%. Your goal numbers stay the same. Your FO guy won 75%. Your goal total increases by 25% (75-50%). Maybe something like that.

GBs, TOs, CTs, and Pens. I need to think about those. Wadya think?
I'm saying skip GBs, CTs, etc. Use the "goals added" metric from the website I linked above. It takes into account many stats.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

i dunno. personally, i don't love it.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

admin wrote:i dunno. personally, i don't love it.
That's fine. I can live without it, but a couple things interest me. 1) We only draft players who are playing on the offensive side of the field (plus a defense). There is more to a lacrosse team than that. Obviously getting possession is one part of the game we don't account for and 2) There are NEW stats or metrics that are available to us that measure the value of players beyond goals and assists.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Return to “2018 DRAFT AND ROSTERS”